Help needed - I need a functional rope ... thing

Posted By thedirector1974 8 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
thedirector1974
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hi there,

and again, here I am with another problem I encounter. This is a big one, at least for me, because it involves physics and I hate it ... very much. First, take look at this screenshot.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73498405/problem_03.jpg

As you can see I have a firefighter in the scene. He tries to extinguish a fire. For this I need a flexible hose. You can see the cylinder behind the firefighter. It has physics on, softcloth and a weightmap, I created. I used this tutorial to fight my way through this physics stuff.

I don't know what I am doing wrong here, but I never got the results shown in that tutorial. The cylinder didn't bend at all. It always stays as shown in the picture above. May be I try the wrong way, but the easy way has vanished with iClone 6 - the rope constraint ...
So, if anyone could help me out to create a flexible hose which I can attach to the cone the firefighter is holding. That would be great.

In a later scene I will encounter another flexible hose thing. There is an old man who gets oxygen from a breathing machine through flexible plastic tubes. Honestly I don't have a clue how to do this. if anyone has an idea, be my guest ...

Direx

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
you might want to try springbones because its a hose etc it might work easier also I seem to remember cricky had created a firehose that is flexible awhile back.   I can't find the hose right now if i find it i will link it.  It was a hose for a fireman.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Edited
8 Years Ago by urbanlamb
pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

I'm pretty sure I saw a video all about making ropes by one of the members here, and if I recall it was stuckon3D (I think that's the name).
The guy who does rigging and physics videos etc.

pumeco
pumeco
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

Haven't looked through it yet, but I think this is the one, Rene :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nUv90PE99Y

thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

pumeco (1/6/2016)

Haven't looked through it yet, but I think this is the one, Rene :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nUv90PE99Y

Sorry, but this way won't work for my set up ... thanx for looking ...

Direx
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Presumably, you are looking for an iClone 6 solution this time? Do you need to show the entire hose, or just what you have in that picture?

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I think I see the issue!

In Cricky's tutorial, he was using an cylider that he created for the rope that had a lot of segments. The default iClone cylinder has none. If you use the cylender in "Props/Tesselation Template/Displace_004", it should work fine.

Note also that he is adjusting the color of the weight map to control rope softness. The color in the weight map really controls the response to physics. In that case, the rope was not being affected by any other physics objects, so it worked fine. If you need the rope to respond fully to other physics objects, leave the middle white and use the physics settings to make it softer or stiffer. You do need some blend to transition from non-physics to physics though.
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Why not just use a Posable Firehose?

This was done in 2011, but I may still be able to find it.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
thedirector1974
thedirector1974
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@ rampa
Thanx for pointing this out. The tesselation prop works!!! Not perfect, but it will do for the shot. It's a wide shot, not as close as you see it in the picture I provided in my initial post.
But i can only use the way from the spraying cone to the ground, nothing more, because of the animation of the firefighter. So I need a hose laying on the ground in this scene to cover that the "physic hose" is not conectetd anywhere ...

@ cricky
I really searched for the posable hose you made, but until now nothing came up. Did you ever published that thing? I asume, you created this, right?

Thanx for your input guys, love that community ...

Direx
Edited
8 Years Ago by thedirector1974
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 8 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

I have sold it, just not on the Reallusion Marketplace.  I can always put it up later, it may just take a few days to test and make sure it still works inside iClone6.   The hose spray particles of course are part of the package. What would a firehose be that couldn't spray water, right?

thedirector1974 (1/7/2016)

@ cricky
I really searched for the posable hose you made, but until now nothing came up. Did you ever published that thing? I asume, you created this, right?

Thanx for your input guys, love that community ...

Direx

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "

Reading This Topic