Profile Picture

To the Reallusion Developers - Where is "Detailed Face Key"?

Posted By thedirector1974 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

To the Reallusion Developers - Where is "Detailed Face Key"?

Author
thedirector1974
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 days ago
Hi Folks,

It's iclone 6 again ... I really miss a tool from iClone 5. It's called "Detailed Face Key".
In iClone 5 you had a "Facial Puppet Tool" to create your facial expressions in rough way. That was a good foundation to gor further. And to do this, there were two other tools.
1) Face Key
This you can find in iClone 6, but this tool isn't capable of creating subtle facial movements. Therfor was the second tool.
2) Advanced Face Key
In this tool you could grab certain points of the face and animate it. There was a front, a left and a right faceside to choos from. This was an essential tool to create convincing facial expressions. And this tool is gone.

Why?

You know, I really like to create movies in iClone, but I am still unhappy about iClone 6. It still feels like a cut down version of iClone 5.
Reallusion, you advertised iClone 6 to have advanced facial features, but this is not the case. I only can do very rough facial expression, or very goofy ones.

For me, iClone 6 is a real disappointement, despite of all the good prgressions in other fields. It fails on it's key features. There is still almost no possibility to customize your G6 characters and the animation tools are cut down.

Direx
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
There was some mention of it returning, a while back.

My impression is that the detail panel points were moving individual bones, and that was no longer feasable for G6 avatars (no facial bones). Hopefully something good will happen in that department soon.
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Honestly, I don't see what is missing?  The panels create keys, just like iClone5.  Bones are not relevant here, as the panels contain morphing abilities based on profiles for the G6, and the older models still have the abilities they had before.  

I just did a Facial Key and Face Puppet test combined using Christian;  then applied audio facial animation script afterwards, and things blended as expected.  There isn't that much difference.   

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f0b72ea7-febc-408b-831b-a445.jpg

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

The difference is that the animated face key no longer has a detailed panel. I reported this a long time ago as well and never received a satisfactory response from RL. So here, again, is an image showing what's missing:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c47eafc4-e4ae-47a1-b7d3-ca09.png 

Again, this is for the animated face key settings, not the one the static ones.

It was a great feature, because it allowed you to do subtle facial animation that would be hard with the puppet tool. Now if the puppet tool ever gets improved, I would go for that...Tongue

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
9 Years Ago by animagic
pumeco
pumeco
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.1K reputation)

Group: Banned Members
Last Active: 7 Years Ago

@Direx

Wouldn't the included Character Creator be a replacement for that, though?  I mean I'm still on iClone5 here, so I can't try it, but surely you can keyframe-animate the new facial stuff with Character Creator?
The Detail panel for Facial Key seems genuinely redundant now (unless I'm missing something), cause from what I've seen, Character Creator is way more capable at doing that sort of thing than the Detail Panel was w00t

Like I said though, I don't have iClone6, so you'll have to excuse anything I may have overlooked.

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
i miss it myself,   it's near impossible to get good facial expressions without using 3rd party tools.   all the character expressions look depressed, and none of the base settings can fix it.  The only way to fix it is making custom morphs otherwise forget it.      That detailed panel was at least good for getting a smirk.  

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Well, not to try and fall into the "grass is always greener" trap, isn't the upcoming CT Pipeline thingee supposed to address exactly these concerns?

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but we should know in a few weeks (the whole idea, as I understand it, is for facial animation to be done in CT).

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
at this point i'm not looking to get my hopes up about anything else anymore, I can fix it myself with other software.  I'm just saying I noticed that panel missing too.  

animagic
animagic
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

pumeco (12/9/2015)

@Direx

Wouldn't the included Character Creator be a replacement for that, though?  I mean I'm still on iClone5 here, so I can't try it, but surely you can keyframe-animate the new facial stuff with Character Creator?
The Detail panel for Facial Key seems genuinely redundant now (unless I'm missing something), cause from what I've seen, Character Creator is way more capable at doing that sort of thing than the Detail Panel was w00t

Like I said though, I don't have iClone6, so you'll have to excuse anything I may have overlooked.

The facial animation for CC hasn't really changed; it uses the same puppet as iClone 5. It may be that using a CrazyTalk 8 script gives more options, we don't know yet. It's really is about animating facial variations, not just applying them once and that's it. There's ways around it of course, using 3DXchange, but sometimes it's just nice to do something within iClone.  

EDIT: Kelleytoons, we crossposted. No the Pipeline will not address this, I think, because this is about animating facial features in a subtle and controlled way, using, ghasp, keyframing...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
9 Years Ago by animagic
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.6K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Well, if you read my entire post you'll see that I refer to doing the facial animation in CT -- that's what I meant about the Pipeline.  The ENTIRE pipeline, not just the software called that (which is confusing -- you can't have a "pipeline" without stuff at either end of it, or it's pretty pointless.

So we're saying the same thing and I do have hopes this is what will happen, although I'm trying not to let them get too high.

Alienware Aurora R12, Win 10, i9-119000KF, 3.5GHz CPU, 128GB RAM, RTX 3090 (24GB), Samsung 960 Pro 4TB M-2 SSD, TB+ Disk space
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic