Profile Picture

IC6.2 project won't open after 3 hours working on it

Posted By derekpackard 9 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
derekpackard
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
All excited working with a couple of  character creator avatars. Brought them into a new ic6.2 scene.
Put in several hours work setting scene up.  Saving periodically.
Then all of a sudden the project would not reload.
"iclone not responding" on file load ... 
Using windows 10, Dell Precision, 64 gigs ram, gtx 970 card. Project size 391 mb.
A automatically backup, like with premiere, would really haved saved our butts.
Right now I got nothing for all that work.

Any way to save us???

derekpackard
derekpackard
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)

loading project stops at" 44% converting data"
Cricky
Cricky
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Sometimes you'l get what I refer to as a false error saying "Not Responding".. when you try to load the project.

Open an empty project 1st.  Set the parameters to "Quick Mode" or even Wire Frame.

Now when you load the Project it should open in that state..requiring a lower demand on the graphics card.  

It could also be your graphics drivers need updating before you attempt the opening.

Press the following keys in Windows (regardless of the version) CTRL+Shift then ESC simultaneously or simply put, while holding those two keys down..  
Those keys should open your "Task Manager" where you want to view the "Processes" Tab.  You can do this before or after opening the project, your choice.

In that Processes Tab you will see a listing of all the processes  running and the CPU activity of each in the right hand column.  

Find iClone, and watch for the CPU numbers to change.  

If the numbers are changing at all, then iClone has not actually stopped responding, it is just gathering up storage space to place the temporary files..  It may take longer than you want for it to finish, but leave it alone unless the CPU indicator goes completely flat and stays there. You would be surprised how many times you can have a "Not Responding" error showing when it is just a system delay,

Last but not least, make sure sure have enough hard drive space to open up the project twice...because it requires that much space initially to write the "Auto Backup files in case it actually locks up.

That's as simple as I can explain it.

Good Luck.

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

I get this and I do something similar to cricky I have a set that I loaded a single avatar in and saved in quick mode.  If I get a scene stuck on loading and then giving up like that..  I then load that set with the avatar just a default one nothing special about the avatar and then from there load the scene and it loads everytime.  As an aside I always have 3 saves of my set though just in case all at different stages.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

derekpackard
derekpackard
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks Mr. Tutor.
That works.  
Saving a simple scene.
Loading that.
Then loading the former bad scene...and it loads.
What a quirk.
thanks for the workaround.

Derek

james_muia
james_muia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

I have a scene doing the EXACT same thing. I was lowering the graphic settings in Advanced to try and get the scene to load but Cricky's way seems a lot easier. Lowering the graphic settings didn't actually work 100% of the time. Glad to have seen this.

IMDB: James Muia
Aviticus Dragon on YouTube

Computer Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor (8x 4.30GHz/11MB L3 Cache)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm
Liquid CPU CoolerASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard
32 GB DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - EVGA FTW3

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Its the way its handling memory usage basically I think loading in a small scene like that clears all the memory letting you get the other thing going.  Its odd but I have been doing it since the day they launched iclone 6.    I often make sure to save everything with quick mode selected just in case I have no idea if it does anything but it makes me feel better BigGrin 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose. You're on your own, and you know what you know. And you are the guy who'll decide where to go."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Dr. Seuss

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.2K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
derekpackard (9/5/2015)
All excited working with a couple of  character creator avatars. Brought them into a new ic6.2 scene.
Put in several hours work setting scene up.  Saving periodically.
Then all of a sudden the project would not reload.
"iclone not responding" on file load ... 
Using windows 10, Dell Precision, 64 gigs ram, gtx 970 card. Project size 391 mb.
A automatically backup, like with premiere, would really haved saved our butts.
Right now I got nothing for all that work.

Any way to save us???

Cricky already gave you some excellent advice, but I would just like to add that you should always save your projects in increments never overwriting the previous version. This way you always have a working project if you need to drop back. 

Keeping backups is very important as your projects get larger. It's also important to remember that project size isn't infinite. You will need to monitor the size of the project and keep it to a manageable level for your system. If you find the project is getting sluggish and taking a very long time to load, then it could be reaching a size where stability will become an issue. When this happens, try breaking the project into smaller parts if possible.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

james_muia
james_muia
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

I did a little testing over the weekend and with my specs, it seems that I can load about 300k polygons before things start to get unstable. At 370k polygons, the project fails to load. 

At 330k polygons, the project fails to load and will only load if I load another scene first. At 370k+ polygons, even if I load another scene, then try to load this particular scene, the program still crashes trying to load it.

It's not a memory issue considering that I usually still have 10 gigs unused, but I assume it's just that my graphics card can't handle that many polygons? I'm curious if there has been any testing done to see how many polygons Iclone can handle with the right set up.

Edit: Going back on what I said and I really think it's actually Iclone 6 that is the problem. I shouldn't get crashes and "not responding" trying to load 120k polygon projects. Funny how this particular project wouldn't load in "quick mode", but as soon as I changed IC6 to High, and tried to load the same project, it loaded without crashing. There's definitely a lot of bugs still lingering and my system can handle a lot more, I feel it's just IC6 that can't handle it.

IMDB: James Muia
Aviticus Dragon on YouTube

Computer Specs:
Intel® Core™ i7-7820X Processor (8x 4.30GHz/11MB L3 Cache)
Corsair Hydro Series H115i 280mm
Liquid CPU CoolerASUS ROG STRIX X299-E Gaming Motherboard
32 GB DDR4-3200 GSKILL Ripjaws V Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti - 11GB - EVGA FTW3

Edited
9 Years Ago by james_muia

Reading This Topic