AnimaTechnica (aknzrdude)'s Production Diary

Posted By aknzrdude 15 Years Ago
Rated 4 stars based on 9 votes.
Author
aknzrdude
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 4 Years Ago
7) my scene is not yet done, i need to add a ship and have that ship move across the water

so off to coolcreators, clones2go and 3D warehouse i go to look for a ship - got one from clones2go and used it below

8) now let's apply some lighting on the ship to bring out some of the details of the ship - but if you are ok with a silhouette you can leave it alone - me, i like details so we'll us a a point light and have it linked to the ship so it allows us to see some details of the ship

9) Thinking ahead, now when my ship moves i want it to have some sort of water wake - so some trial and error with particles led me to choose one and use it to simulate the water wake

10) Now lets animate it - review how we did it above when we had the SKY rotate. Same thing here. The idea here is we tell iClone where the ship starts and where it ends, iClone calculates where the ship might be in between these two points. After we do this we jump into around the 1/4 mark of the timeline, the 1/2 and the 3/4 mark and ever so slightly adjust the ship's rotation in each of these points. This simulates the ship moving/bobbing with the waves

Okay so we now complete the first scene - at my discretion, i can tweak the entire scene more to improve the look, the motions, add rain and fog etc..

11) Now notice we did not touch the camera, everything is captured from the point of view of the PREVIEW camera. we'll work on the other cameras later.

RENDERING

12) now i am ready to render the scene - if you go to EXPORT you will see the various formats you can export (image, video, image sequence, widget) select VIDEO. Under FORMAT i always export uncompressed AVI for my movies. I use an external video editor to assemble the movies and from there export to the format i want to use for uploading to YouTube. This way i always have the uncompressed MASTER in case i need it in the future.

WATCH VIDEO HERE

since we put all that work in, here's a rendering of the image

Attachments
ship movement.jpg (531 views, 139.00 KB)
Edited
15 Years Ago by aknzrdude
Alley
Alley
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (16.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
This is so incredibly awesome of you to share all this help.  I have long admired your lighting and other techniques and hadn't a clue how to achieve the things that you manage to achieve.

Thanks. Kiss

Alley

afterThought
afterThought
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
This is an awesome guide to adding those nuances that can take a film from good to great. Thank you for sharing your process with us! It's greatly appreciated.

aT

aknzrdude
aknzrdude
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

next up well work on the captain's cabin scene. This section will be hefty - it will include building the cabin using 3D Blocks, lighting, motion layers, motion timeline editing, camera animation and the camera switch.

Stay tuned

here's the completed scene we will go through step by step to build

Capemedia
Capemedia
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Film and Music Producer

Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Gabe you a gentlemen in every sense of the word and sharing this with other iClone users only adds to that.

Doing this not only give us a glimpse of a master iClone craftsman at work, but helps so many other people in understanding how to get the best out of iClone.

Thank you so much for having the idea for this and then implementing it.

I take my hat off to you sir Smile

Cape!

Score Variations

Capemedia UK Limited's Website

Edited
15 Years Ago by Capemedia
jleao
jleao
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Just amazing. I just bought iclone and we newsbys have so many things to learn that it can get difficult. So, it great we can follow the best and learn with them with projects like this. Many, many thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Illustrator Cathy
Illustrator Cathy
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Wow Gabe - This is totally amazing! I am going to ad a link to this on the Wiki. Thank you so much for sharing your expertise with us!

Cathy Hehe

Just click on the graphic to go there.

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Gabe, I really love your ship's cabin. The chart table is pretty modernistic, though.

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
aknzrdude
aknzrdude
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

LOL paumanok yes still in the process of either getting one from 3D warehouse or building it out of 3D blocks - - for now it is a palceholder - came from an office set

rgrove
rgrove
Posted 15 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
thanks so much for sharing this tutorial/approach to production in iClone. This is a much needed practical write-up. Hat's off to you, sir. Smile

www.machinima-expo.com
Nov 19th, 20th, 2011

Reading This Topic