3DXchange 6.1 (Early Access) - Issues Thread

Posted By Visconti 9 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Dream Cutter
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
The Game Developers Wish List for 3d Exchange Pipeline v.6 
- .X Export capability
- UV Layer and Map Merge Capability
- .DAE Collada Export
- Multiple Figure Import / Export Option (export scene components, where each maintains relative proximity and translations)
- Multiple Associated (node hierarchy) Motion
- Multi-Channel Motion to Single Concatonated

Thanks

Stay inspired.

Alien Maniac
Alien Maniac
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (8.1K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Nice call.....works great! and fast too. Thanks much for the heads up.

MSI GE66 Raider, Intel 10th Gen, I7, SC Turbo to 5.3 GHZ, 240HZ, 64GB 3300 Ram,  2x 1TB M2 SSD Drives, NVIDIA GPU RTX 2070/8GB, 55" Sony 4K Monitor  External data drives total 7 TB. and an AUDIO Studio Recording system.

bsperan
bsperan
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Galfridus (6/1/2015)
...I painfully remember my complete dissatisfaction with the launch of 3DX5. I pre-paid for my upgrade from 3DX4 because of the promoted “ lip-sync Daz avatars” capability. Only after launch was this described as “forthcoming in a free future upgrade”. Then several months of unnecessary silence from RL followed before it was finally implemented. As if that wasn't enough a .duf file required to automate the Daz lip sync process was locked into an additional and very expensive “Character Designer pack” of limited value to the average user. A shameful example of customer exploitation by RL

I was also disappointed. And I couldn't have phrased it better: Shameful customer exploitation.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
I am extremely pleased indeed to see that efforts are being made with 3DX6 to improve on that negative RL customer experience.

That they call it "Early Access" and are more clear about what features it has and are up front with their plans for upcoming features are certainly improvements in policy over last time. But, I find even the 3DX6 early bird promotion to be a bit overpriced for what it offers. And since iClone 6 won't work with 5...

I was upset and disappointed to learn that they made iClone 6 incompatible with 3DXchange 5. When I purchased the pipeline edition I thought I was making an investment. One might wonder if they did that to force customers to updgrade. Because, if iClone 6 could work with version 5, some customers would opt to put off upgrading. I could have bought a big, fancy new LCD television or monitor for what I would have saved by waiting until now to get Pipeline.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
In reality 3DX6pro currently offers me only minor improvements over 3DX5pro apart from the convenience of integrating with IC6.

Yes. What does 3DX6 offer that is worth the upgrade cost?

* Optimized Large Model Conversion Performance
Faster model conversions. Meh. That's not something I can get excited about.

* Improved Stability in Large Model Conversion
Now we can import models with up to 1,280,000 faces? Actually, this is something I could probably use. That is a nice feature.

* Merge Identical (SKP)
It can combine idential mesh nodes to reduce the polygon count. And it can fix meshes sharing identical materials. To be sure, both are annoyingly common problems with Sketchup models. But then, I could just convert a Sketchup model and load it into my favorite 3D modeling program to do the same thing. This feature is handy, sure, especially for those who can't use a 3D modeling program. But, for the rest of us, it sounds like it's a matter of convenience.

* ENHANCED UI - Interactive Lighting & Stage Mode Selection
We can preview converted models with a choice of 4 different "scene modes" (scenes and light settings) with the option to adjust the light angle. Nice, I guess? But, again, it just sounds like another convenience.

* Support External Tools in the Latest Version
Support added for external tools: Sketchup, Unity 5, DAZ Genesis 2, Unreal Engine, 3DS Max, and Maya. Weird. I thought 3DXchange 5 already had Sketchup support.

Of these, the only ones I'd use are Sketchup and maybe Genesis 2 and/or Unity 5. And that's a big maybe.

* It comes with the Character Designer's Resource Pack for free?
Meh. I got that back when I ordered iClone 3DXchange 4 PRO, over three years ago.

* It comes with the DAZ Genesis Extension for free?
Meh. I got that as part the the Facial Pipeline Character Pack with version 5.

Wait... Wasn't importing DAZ characters (with lip sync) a feature that we were promised with 3DXchange 5?

* Direct Access to Free 3D Assets in Sketchup 3D Warehouse
But, 3DXchange 5 can do this already...

* Now 3DXchange 6 is compatible with all versions of Sketchup files.
It circumvents the quote, "hassle of prior format conversion using Sketchup".

Again, it's a little convenience and I can't get excited over this. Many warehouse models have already been updated to the new Sketchup format. If not, I can fire up Sketchup or some other program to do it.

BTW: It is interesting that the email promotion did not even mention the Upcoming Features. I had to go to the forums to learn about that and then do a search.

* G6 Character Creator
Sounds interesting. But this is for G6. Will this encourage us to forgo our old G5 characters with all the G5 clothes and stuff we've purchased to get new G6 stuff? For those of us who primarily use older generation characters, DAZ Genesis or other characters, this isn't that useful.

* 3D Data Silent I/O
It allows us to quote, "import and export files all within the iClone." It sounds like this is nothing more than a little convenience. I could live without it, anyway.

* GoZ for ZBrush
It allows us to connect ZBrush with iClone? Convient, I suppose... if we happen to use ZBrush. That's the tool of professional 3D artists. And, at nearly $800, it's out of the price range of many casual iClone users.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
[snip]...I feel I made my own informed, rational decision to opt in based on the “best price offer” rather than having been mislead, as in the past, by inaccurate feature promotion.

We each have to make the decision. The amazing new features that were offered in 3DXchange 5 made purchase or upgrading very compelling. Compared with that, an upgrade to 3DX6 doesn't sound as impressive.

What burns me is the pricing. I hesitated to get 3DX5 Pipeline because of how much more it cost over Pro. And the only two extra features we get are 1) Export FBX, BVH and 2) Get "Export License" Content. And I'm really only interested in (1). But since iClone 6 can't use 5, the investment was not worth it for me. (Even though I can still use 3DX5 Pipeline with iClone 5, I can't export content saved in the iClone 6 format.)

3DX6 Pipeline has a list price $100 over version 5 (despite 6 not having the sort of features I would call compelling). And just to upgrade from my old v5 Pipeline is $179? That's nearly 45% of what I paid for version 5 Pipeline.

Those with version 5 who wish to upgrade must pay between 60 and 66% of those buying 3DXchange outright. Does this seem appropriate for an "upgrade" price? To be fair, I've seen articles talk about how the costs of "software maintenance" has been increasing by about 12% to 15% per year. And it could be worse. Adobe recently changed their software to a subscription-only model.

Still, I was quite anxious to upgrade iClone 6 as it was packed with amazing new features. But what added value does upgrading to 3DX6 bring? If I could use version 5 with iClone 6, putting off an upgrade, that's what I'd do. But we can't.
Edited
9 Years Ago by bsperan
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 26 minutes ago
Bray42 (6/1/2015)
Just got the new 3dX 6 Pipeline. Loaded it up and off to GW. All AOK. YEA!
Then loaded up 3dx5P.

Woooo. This is what I saw. Whats up?

I am using SKP 2015 Make, currently.  is it a bug from SKP?
Now I can not use 3dx5P!!!

Anyone? Any clue to this problem?

This has nothing to do with 3DXchange 6.

3DXchange 5 will give the above error because the Sketchup API is not supported. You just need to access the 3D Warehouse manually by going to the address below.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Weeks Ago
@bsperan,
We each have our own perspective on what is important to us.
You made quite a list, thank you.
You rated many items as "Meh" or "Convenience."  Ironically, I actually thought you made it sound like a pretty good upgrade.  Maybe not a lot of huge, ground-breaking stuff (yet), but eventually those conveniences add up.

Your post was articulate and rational, which seems to be increasingly rare in a lot of forums.

I'm not a big "avatar creator," but it will be nice when the full G6 avatar support comes along.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

JimmyB7
JimmyB7
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.4K reputation)

bsperan (6/4/2015)
Galfridus (6/1/2015)
...I painfully remember my complete dissatisfaction with the launch of 3DX5. I pre-paid for my upgrade from 3DX4 because of the promoted “ lip-sync Daz avatars” capability. Only after launch was this described as “forthcoming in a free future upgrade”. Then several months of unnecessary silence from RL followed before it was finally implemented. As if that wasn't enough a .duf file required to automate the Daz lip sync process was locked into an additional and very expensive “Character Designer pack” of limited value to the average user. A shameful example of customer exploitation by RL

I was also disappointed. And I couldn't have phrased it better: Shameful customer exploitation.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
I am extremely pleased indeed to see that efforts are being made with 3DX6 to improve on that negative RL customer experience.

That they call it "Early Access" and are more clear about what features it has and are up front with their plans for upcoming features are certainly improvements in policy over last time. But, I find even the 3DX6 early bird promotion to be a bit overpriced for what it offers. And since iClone 6 won't work with 5...

I was upset and disappointed to learn that they made iClone 6 incompatible with 3DXchange 5. When I purchased the pipeline edition I thought I was making an investment. One might wonder if they did that to force customers to updgrade. Because, if iClone 6 could work with version 5, some customers would opt to put off upgrading. I could have bought a big, fancy new LCD television or monitor for what I would have saved by waiting until now to get Pipeline.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
In reality 3DX6pro currently offers me only minor improvements over 3DX5pro apart from the convenience of integrating with IC6.

Now we can import models with up to 1,280,000 faces? Actually, this is something I could probably use. That is a nice feature.

* Merge Identical (SKP)
It can combine idential mesh nodes to reduce the polygon count. And it can fix meshes sharing identical materials. To be sure, both are annoyingly common problems with Sketchup models. But then, I could just convert a Sketchup model and load it into my favorite 3D modeling program to do the same thing. This feature is handy, sure, especially for those who can't use a 3D modeling program. But, for the rest of us, it sounds like it's a matter of convenience.

We can preview converted models with a choice of 4 different "scene modes" (scenes and light settings) with the option to adjust the light angle. Nice, I guess? But, again, it just sounds like another convenience.

Support added for external tools: Sketchup, Unity 5, DAZ Genesis 2, Unreal Engine, 3DS Max, and Maya. Weird. I thought 3DXchange 5 already had Sketchup support.

Of these, the only ones I'd use are Sketchup and maybe Genesis 2 and/or Unity 5. And that's a big maybe.

Meh. I got that back when I ordered iClone 3DXchange 4 PRO, over three years ago.

Wait... Wasn't importing DAZ characters (with lip sync) a feature that we were promised with 3DXchange 5?

Again, it's a little convenience and I can't get excited over this. Many warehouse models have already been updated to the new Sketchup format. If not, I can fire up Sketchup or some other program to do it.

BTW: It is interesting that the email promotion did not even mention the Upcoming Features. I had to go to the forums to learn about that and then do a search.

* G6 Character Creator
Sounds interesting. But this is for G6. Will this encourage us to forgo our old G5 characters with all the G5 clothes and stuff we've purchased to get new G6 stuff? For those of us who primarily use older generation characters, DAZ Genesis or other characters, this isn't that useful.

* 3D Data Silent I/O
It allows us to quote, "import and export files all within the iClone." It sounds like this is nothing more than a little convenience. I could live without it, anyway.

* GoZ for ZBrush
It allows us to connect ZBrush with iClone? Convient, I suppose... if we happen to use ZBrush. That's the tool of professional 3D artists. And, at nearly $800, it's out of the price range of many casual iClone users.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
[snip]...I feel I made my own informed, rational decision to opt in based on the “best price offer” rather than having been mislead, as in the past, by inaccurate feature promotion.

We each have to make the decision. The amazing new features that were offered in 3DXchange 5 made purchase or upgrading very compelling. Compared with that, an upgrade to 3DX6 doesn't sound as impressive.

What burns me is the pricing. I hesitated to get 3DX5 Pipeline because of how much more it cost over Pro. And the only two extra features we get are 1) Export FBX, BVH and 2) Get "Export License" Content. And I'm really only interested in (1). But since iClone 6 can't use 5, the investment was not worth it for me. (Even though I can still use 3DX5 Pipeline with iClone 5, I can't export content saved in the iClone 6 format.)

3DX6 Pipeline has a list price $100 over version 5 (despite 6 not having the sort of features I would call compelling). And just to upgrade from my old v5 Pipeline is $179? That's nearly 45% of what I paid for version 5 Pipeline.

Those with version 5 who wish to upgrade must pay between 60 and 66% of those buying 3DXchange outright. Does this seem appropriate for an "upgrade" price? To be fair, I've seen articles talk about how the costs of "software maintenance" has been increasing by about 12% to 15% per year. And it could be worse. Adobe recently changed their software to a subscription-only model.

Still, I was quite anxious to upgrade iClone 6 as it was packed with amazing new features. But what added value does upgrading to 3DX6 bring? If I could use version 5 with iClone 6, putting off an upgrade, that's what I'd do. But we can't.

Also, don’t forget 3DXchange 6.1 pipeline comes with free Props Destructible Physics. Which I’ve found, to my chagrin, will NOT work in iClone 6.1 anyway.

CyberpowerPC, 64 GB Ram, 64bit Windows 10 Pro, Intel Core i9-10980XE 18 Core CPU,  ASUS TUF X299 Mark 1 Motherboard, ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING graphics card, Toshiba 3TB hard drive, 3 x Seagate 3TB hard drives, RAGNAROK 801 Full Tower, LEPA G1600 1600W power supply, Killer WI-FI 6,  ASUS PA329Q 32" 4K/UHD IPS Monitor.
Edited
9 Years Ago by JimmyB7
redrubyslippers
redrubyslippers
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
so after iclone 6 fiasco..i will probably not BUY exchange 6...i threw my money away with  iclone 6,,,lets face it it still crashes and the interface is all over the place...........im so disappointed..reallusion.. what have you done unless theres a real advantage, iclone 6 sits on my pc,, i refuse to use it...all my precious iclone files tucked away in 5,,cant justify spending the guts of 200 dollars on something that gives minimal advantage... sort iclone 6 out and maybe ill reconsider sorry rreallusion if you want my money you will have to do better...

RRS
nat woi
nat woi
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

JimmyB7 (6/5/2015)
bsperan (6/4/2015)
Galfridus (6/1/2015)

Galfridus (6/1/2015)

Galfridus (6/1/2015)

* Merge Identical (SKP)

* G6 Character Creator

* 3D Data Silent I/O

* GoZ for ZBrush

Galfridus (6/1/2015)

Also, don’t forget 3DXchange 6.1 pipeline comes with free Props Destructible Physics. Which I’ve found, to my chagrin, will NOT work in iClone 6.1 anyway.

I agree with most of this highlight the best price  ploy and the free daz exe that come with this your on point with my thoughts

Edited
9 Years Ago by nat woi
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
when you try to make a file like .bvh open default in 3DX6 -  it's impossible to do without editing registry if you keep both versions installed -  it always defaults back to 3DX5....I tried to rename the 3DX5 bin file to force the computer to recognize the new 3DXchange but it didn't work.     I should just uninstall 3DX5 but I like to keep the older versions for a few months in the event there is some incompatibility issue that i need to go back.    once I renamed the 3DX5 start file ....the system refuses to recognize 3DXchange at all. 

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 9 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I uninstalled 3DX5 -  that still wasn't enough because some remnants were left behind in the registry -  I had to use ccleaner to remove what the 3DX5 uninstaller left in the registry -  working now -  but not a straight forward process.

Reading This Topic