3DXchange 6.1 (Early Access) - Issues Thread

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic237731.aspx
Print Topic | Close Window

By Visconti - 9 Years Ago
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/42f14f97-9cad-40d4-82bc-20d1.png

3DXchange is a robust, streamlined conversion and editing tool that connects iClone to a universe of 3D content. Users are able to import bi-ped, animated skin-bone characters and their animations for use in iClone. They can also export iClone characters and animations to external 3D applications and video game engines. Moreover, 3DXchange 6 is enhanced with an optimized conversion performance and editing environment, ensuring that you an even faster and better user experience!
Know more about the new features: http://www.reallusion.com/iclone/3DXchange.html

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/0f00dee0-e4a3-4767-bdca-763b.png

Early Access for 3DXchange 6 is the first step (prelude) to a series of iClone 6 updates. With this, users will finally be able to export content from iClone 6, while enjoying several substantial feature improvements. And that's not all, below you can learn about other upcoming and ambitious plans for future updates (free upgrade to get more features supported in iClone & 3DXchange 6.2). 3DXchange 6 Trial will also be available during the grand launch of iClone & 3DXchange 6.2 (scheduled for Q3, 2015).

Please leave your comments and any tech issue about 3DXchange 6.1 in this thread. 

Reallusion, Inc.
By hattori kun - 9 Years Ago
Please add cloth and hair physx dynamic export and camera export in the roadmap. That's an instant upgrade for me for pipeline.
Indigo plugin exports dynamics and camera so it should be possible to do it for 3dxchange.
By wires - 9 Years Ago
Please see the "Deformed Prop" info in this post.
By Galfridus - 9 Years Ago
@ Visconti
This post follows yourrequest for comments rather than any technical issue.

I painfully remember my complete dissatisfaction with the launch of 3DX5. I pre-paid for my upgrade from 3DX4 because of the promoted “ lip-sync Daz avatars” capability. Only after launch was this described as “forthcoming in a free future upgrade”. Then several months of unnecessary silence from RL followed before it was finally implemented. As if that wasn't enough a .duf file required to automate the Daz lip sync process was locked into an additional and very expensive “Character Designer pack” of limited value to the average user. A shameful example of customer exploitation by RL

I am extremely pleased indeed to see that efforts are being made with 3DX6 to improve on that negative RL customer experience.
The “Early Access”moniker on 3DX6 promotion is both apt and informative. It should havebeen used back in Dec 2014 for the IC6 launch. Might I mirthfully suggest that, at the time, these lines from Shakespeare:Richard III. Act 1, Scene 1 would have been appropriate to use on the IC6 Start Up screen. !

I, that am curtailed of this fair proportion,Cheated of feature by dissembling nature,Deformed, unfinished, sent before my time
Into this breathing world, scarce half made up.

With this in mind, I have particularly appreciated having some indication, before placing an order, of what functionality will be immediately available from 3DX6 and what will follow in later upgrades. Thank you for this significant and much needed improvement in communicating with customers. I hope it will become integral to RL`s marketing policy. In future, perhaps this could be further extended to listing those features, if any, from previous versions which have been temporarily or permanently removed ?

In reality 3DX6pro currently offers me only minor improvements over 3DX5pro apart from the convenience of integrating with IC6. I suspect that many customers are like me and crave all the new features NOW.

The fact that the RL explained I have to wait for the enhancements has not deterred me from going ahead and buying the upgrade. Most importantly I feel I made my own informed, rational decision to opt in based on the “best price offer” rather than having been mislead, as in the past, by inaccurate feature promotion. I am confident that some benefit from RL`s egregious adoption of the “Jam tomorrow” ruse, will eventually spread sufficiently to enhance my future use of the 3DX6 /IC6 combo. Time will tell.

Thanks again for the efforts made to provide a more timely and relevant pre-purchase product description for 3DX6. Hopefully customers will learn more details of the upcoming features soon.

Geoff.
By SeanMac - 9 Years Ago
I agree with all of that from Galfridus.

May I bring to the attention of the forum some odd technical specifications on the 3DXChange ReadMe file.

Recommended System Requirements: (3DXchange will have better performance in below recommendedenvironment.) [Which means BTW the oppositeto what the translator thought it meant.]

. Dual core CPU orhigher

. 2GB RAM or higherrecommended

. 2GB free hard diskspace or higher recommended

. Display Resolution:1024 x 768 or higher

. Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8 Series or higher /ATI HD3000 Series or higher (my emphasis)

. Video Memory: 512MBRAM or higher recommended

. Video cardcompatible with Pixel Shader 3.0 recommended for optimized visual performance.  [Shader3.0 is quite old too. But see High-Level Shading Language (HLSL) in Wikipedia]

Additional Requirements:

. 3-button mouse

. Internet connectionrequired for online activation.

. DirectX 9 [First release 2004]

Operating System

. Windows 8 /Windows7 (SP1)

. Support for 32-bitand 64-bit operating system.

Note Windows10 will ship with DirectX 12 on July 292015 by Microsoft.

There seems to be a gradually widening specification on the one hand for the PC spec and on the other for the Graphics Cards. These recommendations for DirectX 9 (from 2008) and Pixel Shader 3.0 (we are now up to PS 5.0) are strange when you look at the recommended  Nvidia series 8 and 9 requirements.

I am not a games player so I have little need for bleeding edge technology in graphics cards. As everybody  can see the road ahead is towards 4K and higher screens and faster graphics, but the real-time animation software market has many different channels for output from YouTube tutorials to pipelining into Unity or Unreal. I can see how worthwhile it is for Reallusion to accommodate the lower specification PCs as well as the higher spec ones.

Maybe it is time to break the recommended specs into different sets for different activities.

SeanMac

SystemSpecs

HomebuildASRock Z68 Extreme4,  i7-2600K @3.4Ghz ,16 Gb RAM, 5.5Tb HDD, Palit GeForce GTX 750 Ti; Win 7 64-bit Ultimate (+SP1) + SamsungS24D300H 1920X1080 + spare 1680X1050.

By Alien Maniac - 9 Years Ago
Just got the new 3dX 6 Pipeline. Loaded it up and off to GW. All AOK. YEA!
Then loaded up 3dx5P.

Woooo. This is what I saw. Whats up?

I am using SKP 2015 Make, currently.  is it a bug from SKP?
Now I can not use 3dx5P!!!

Anyone? Any clue to this problem?

Bray42 (6/1/2015)

This is the third time I read this in the forum. It seems odd that upon instaling Iclone 6.1 and 3dx 6, older version are unusable. I hope this is fixed ASAP.
By planetstardragon - 9 Years Ago
go to google warehouse with your normal browser,  when you download,  don't download to disk,  click "Open with" then select 3DX6 from your list of programs,  and the download gets dropped right into 3DX6 which I personally favor to the traditional way of the 3DX browser -  in the traditional way once the item was downloaded,  the search window would close - which I didn't like because I would audition several models from a collection -  then would have to search for the collection all over again after downloading .....the normal web browser doesn't close the window after download...so it's much easier to continue a search through a collection.  Works better for me.

By VirtualMedia - 9 Years Ago
I jumped, and was somewhat pleased with the current version of the X Pipeline. The load and conversion times are a limited but a definite improvement, however the promise of improved lipsync and ZBrush integration later this year has me very interested in whats to come. I've always been somewhat surprised and disappointed that everything but the kitchen sinc was thrown in recent versions with total disregard of credible lipsync and the hassles of model customization via ZBrush.  I trust that LS improvements will work on all models including Daz fbx models.

Hopeful of the future...
By Peter (RL) - 9 Years Ago
SeanMac (6/1/2015)

There seems to be a gradually widening specification on the one hand for the PC spec and on the other for the Graphics Cards. These recommendations for DirectX 9 (from 2008) and Pixel Shader 3.0 (we are now up to PS 5.0) are strange when you look at the recommended  Nvidia series 8 and 9 requirements.

I think you may be misunderstanding the graphic card requirements. The Nvidia GeForce Series 8 & 9 cards are from 2006 -2007 such as the 8800 or 9600. These are not to be confused with the current series 800 and 900 models.
By Dream Cutter - 9 Years Ago
The Game Developers Wish List for 3d Exchange Pipeline v.6 
- .X Export capability
- UV Layer and Map Merge Capability
- .DAE Collada Export
- Multiple Figure Import / Export Option (export scene components, where each maintains relative proximity and translations)
- Multiple Associated (node hierarchy) Motion
- Multi-Channel Motion to Single Concatonated

Thanks
Nice call.....works great! and fast too. Thanks much for the heads up.
By bsperan - 9 Years Ago
Galfridus (6/1/2015)
...I painfully remember my complete dissatisfaction with the launch of 3DX5. I pre-paid for my upgrade from 3DX4 because of the promoted “ lip-sync Daz avatars” capability. Only after launch was this described as “forthcoming in a free future upgrade”. Then several months of unnecessary silence from RL followed before it was finally implemented. As if that wasn't enough a .duf file required to automate the Daz lip sync process was locked into an additional and very expensive “Character Designer pack” of limited value to the average user. A shameful example of customer exploitation by RL

I was also disappointed. And I couldn't have phrased it better: Shameful customer exploitation.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
I am extremely pleased indeed to see that efforts are being made with 3DX6 to improve on that negative RL customer experience.

That they call it "Early Access" and are more clear about what features it has and are up front with their plans for upcoming features are certainly improvements in policy over last time. But, I find even the 3DX6 early bird promotion to be a bit overpriced for what it offers. And since iClone 6 won't work with 5...

I was upset and disappointed to learn that they made iClone 6 incompatible with 3DXchange 5. When I purchased the pipeline edition I thought I was making an investment. One might wonder if they did that to force customers to updgrade. Because, if iClone 6 could work with version 5, some customers would opt to put off upgrading. I could have bought a big, fancy new LCD television or monitor for what I would have saved by waiting until now to get Pipeline.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
In reality 3DX6pro currently offers me only minor improvements over 3DX5pro apart from the convenience of integrating with IC6.

Yes. What does 3DX6 offer that is worth the upgrade cost?

* Optimized Large Model Conversion Performance
Faster model conversions. Meh. That's not something I can get excited about.

* Improved Stability in Large Model Conversion
Now we can import models with up to 1,280,000 faces? Actually, this is something I could probably use. That is a nice feature.

* Merge Identical (SKP)
It can combine idential mesh nodes to reduce the polygon count. And it can fix meshes sharing identical materials. To be sure, both are annoyingly common problems with Sketchup models. But then, I could just convert a Sketchup model and load it into my favorite 3D modeling program to do the same thing. This feature is handy, sure, especially for those who can't use a 3D modeling program. But, for the rest of us, it sounds like it's a matter of convenience.

* ENHANCED UI - Interactive Lighting & Stage Mode Selection
We can preview converted models with a choice of 4 different "scene modes" (scenes and light settings) with the option to adjust the light angle. Nice, I guess? But, again, it just sounds like another convenience.

* Support External Tools in the Latest Version
Support added for external tools: Sketchup, Unity 5, DAZ Genesis 2, Unreal Engine, 3DS Max, and Maya. Weird. I thought 3DXchange 5 already had Sketchup support.

Of these, the only ones I'd use are Sketchup and maybe Genesis 2 and/or Unity 5. And that's a big maybe.

* It comes with the Character Designer's Resource Pack for free?
Meh. I got that back when I ordered iClone 3DXchange 4 PRO, over three years ago.

* It comes with the DAZ Genesis Extension for free?
Meh. I got that as part the the Facial Pipeline Character Pack with version 5.

Wait... Wasn't importing DAZ characters (with lip sync) a feature that we were promised with 3DXchange 5?

* Direct Access to Free 3D Assets in Sketchup 3D Warehouse
But, 3DXchange 5 can do this already...

* Now 3DXchange 6 is compatible with all versions of Sketchup files.
It circumvents the quote, "hassle of prior format conversion using Sketchup".

Again, it's a little convenience and I can't get excited over this. Many warehouse models have already been updated to the new Sketchup format. If not, I can fire up Sketchup or some other program to do it.

BTW: It is interesting that the email promotion did not even mention the Upcoming Features. I had to go to the forums to learn about that and then do a search.

* G6 Character Creator
Sounds interesting. But this is for G6. Will this encourage us to forgo our old G5 characters with all the G5 clothes and stuff we've purchased to get new G6 stuff? For those of us who primarily use older generation characters, DAZ Genesis or other characters, this isn't that useful.

* 3D Data Silent I/O
It allows us to quote, "import and export files all within the iClone." It sounds like this is nothing more than a little convenience. I could live without it, anyway.

* GoZ for ZBrush
It allows us to connect ZBrush with iClone? Convient, I suppose... if we happen to use ZBrush. That's the tool of professional 3D artists. And, at nearly $800, it's out of the price range of many casual iClone users.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
[snip]...I feel I made my own informed, rational decision to opt in based on the “best price offer” rather than having been mislead, as in the past, by inaccurate feature promotion.

We each have to make the decision. The amazing new features that were offered in 3DXchange 5 made purchase or upgrading very compelling. Compared with that, an upgrade to 3DX6 doesn't sound as impressive.

What burns me is the pricing. I hesitated to get 3DX5 Pipeline because of how much more it cost over Pro. And the only two extra features we get are 1) Export FBX, BVH and 2) Get "Export License" Content. And I'm really only interested in (1). But since iClone 6 can't use 5, the investment was not worth it for me. (Even though I can still use 3DX5 Pipeline with iClone 5, I can't export content saved in the iClone 6 format.)

3DX6 Pipeline has a list price $100 over version 5 (despite 6 not having the sort of features I would call compelling). And just to upgrade from my old v5 Pipeline is $179? That's nearly 45% of what I paid for version 5 Pipeline.

Those with version 5 who wish to upgrade must pay between 60 and 66% of those buying 3DXchange outright. Does this seem appropriate for an "upgrade" price? To be fair, I've seen articles talk about how the costs of "software maintenance" has been increasing by about 12% to 15% per year. And it could be worse. Adobe recently changed their software to a subscription-only model.

Still, I was quite anxious to upgrade iClone 6 as it was packed with amazing new features. But what added value does upgrading to 3DX6 bring? If I could use version 5 with iClone 6, putting off an upgrade, that's what I'd do. But we can't.
By Peter (RL) - 9 Years Ago
Bray42 (6/1/2015)
Just got the new 3dX 6 Pipeline. Loaded it up and off to GW. All AOK. YEA!
Then loaded up 3dx5P.

Woooo. This is what I saw. Whats up?

I am using SKP 2015 Make, currently.  is it a bug from SKP?

This has nothing to do with 3DXchange 6.

3DXchange 5 will give the above error because the Sketchup API is not supported. You just need to access the 3D Warehouse manually by going to the address below.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/.
By justaviking - 9 Years Ago
@bsperan,
We each have our own perspective on what is important to us.
You made quite a list, thank you.
You rated many items as "Meh" or "Convenience."  Ironically, I actually thought you made it sound like a pretty good upgrade.  Maybe not a lot of huge, ground-breaking stuff (yet), but eventually those conveniences add up.

Your post was articulate and rational, which seems to be increasingly rare in a lot of forums.

I'm not a big "avatar creator," but it will be nice when the full G6 avatar support comes along.
By JimmyB7 - 9 Years Ago
bsperan (6/4/2015)
Galfridus (6/1/2015)
...I painfully remember my complete dissatisfaction with the launch of 3DX5. I pre-paid for my upgrade from 3DX4 because of the promoted “ lip-sync Daz avatars” capability. Only after launch was this described as “forthcoming in a free future upgrade”. Then several months of unnecessary silence from RL followed before it was finally implemented. As if that wasn't enough a .duf file required to automate the Daz lip sync process was locked into an additional and very expensive “Character Designer pack” of limited value to the average user. A shameful example of customer exploitation by RL

I was also disappointed. And I couldn't have phrased it better: Shameful customer exploitation.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)

That they call it "Early Access" and are more clear about what features it has and are up front with their plans for upcoming features are certainly improvements in policy over last time. But, I find even the 3DX6 early bird promotion to be a bit overpriced for what it offers. And since iClone 6 won't work with 5...

I was upset and disappointed to learn that they made iClone 6 incompatible with 3DXchange 5. When I purchased the pipeline edition I thought I was making an investment. One might wonder if they did that to force customers to updgrade. Because, if iClone 6 could work with version 5, some customers would opt to put off upgrading. I could have bought a big, fancy new LCD television or monitor for what I would have saved by waiting until now to get Pipeline.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
In reality 3DX6pro currently offers me only minor improvements over 3DX5pro apart from the convenience of integrating with IC6.

Now we can import models with up to 1,280,000 faces? Actually, this is something I could probably use. That is a nice feature.

* Merge Identical (SKP)
It can combine idential mesh nodes to reduce the polygon count. And it can fix meshes sharing identical materials. To be sure, both are annoyingly common problems with Sketchup models. But then, I could just convert a Sketchup model and load it into my favorite 3D modeling program to do the same thing. This feature is handy, sure, especially for those who can't use a 3D modeling program. But, for the rest of us, it sounds like it's a matter of convenience.

We can preview converted models with a choice of 4 different "scene modes" (scenes and light settings) with the option to adjust the light angle. Nice, I guess? But, again, it just sounds like another convenience.

Support added for external tools: Sketchup, Unity 5, DAZ Genesis 2, Unreal Engine, 3DS Max, and Maya. Weird. I thought 3DXchange 5 already had Sketchup support.

Of these, the only ones I'd use are Sketchup and maybe Genesis 2 and/or Unity 5. And that's a big maybe.

Meh. I got that back when I ordered iClone 3DXchange 4 PRO, over three years ago.

Wait... Wasn't importing DAZ characters (with lip sync) a feature that we were promised with 3DXchange 5?

Again, it's a little convenience and I can't get excited over this. Many warehouse models have already been updated to the new Sketchup format. If not, I can fire up Sketchup or some other program to do it.

BTW: It is interesting that the email promotion did not even mention the Upcoming Features. I had to go to the forums to learn about that and then do a search.

* G6 Character Creator
Sounds interesting. But this is for G6. Will this encourage us to forgo our old G5 characters with all the G5 clothes and stuff we've purchased to get new G6 stuff? For those of us who primarily use older generation characters, DAZ Genesis or other characters, this isn't that useful.

* 3D Data Silent I/O
It allows us to quote, "import and export files all within the iClone." It sounds like this is nothing more than a little convenience. I could live without it, anyway.

* GoZ for ZBrush
It allows us to connect ZBrush with iClone? Convient, I suppose... if we happen to use ZBrush. That's the tool of professional 3D artists. And, at nearly $800, it's out of the price range of many casual iClone users.

Galfridus (6/1/2015)
[snip]...I feel I made my own informed, rational decision to opt in based on the “best price offer” rather than having been mislead, as in the past, by inaccurate feature promotion.

We each have to make the decision. The amazing new features that were offered in 3DXchange 5 made purchase or upgrading very compelling. Compared with that, an upgrade to 3DX6 doesn't sound as impressive.

What burns me is the pricing. I hesitated to get 3DX5 Pipeline because of how much more it cost over Pro. And the only two extra features we get are 1) Export FBX, BVH and 2) Get "Export License" Content. And I'm really only interested in (1). But since iClone 6 can't use 5, the investment was not worth it for me. (Even though I can still use 3DX5 Pipeline with iClone 5, I can't export content saved in the iClone 6 format.)

3DX6 Pipeline has a list price $100 over version 5 (despite 6 not having the sort of features I would call compelling). And just to upgrade from my old v5 Pipeline is $179? That's nearly 45% of what I paid for version 5 Pipeline.

Those with version 5 who wish to upgrade must pay between 60 and 66% of those buying 3DXchange outright. Does this seem appropriate for an "upgrade" price? To be fair, I've seen articles talk about how the costs of "software maintenance" has been increasing by about 12% to 15% per year. And it could be worse. Adobe recently changed their software to a subscription-only model.

Still, I was quite anxious to upgrade iClone 6 as it was packed with amazing new features. But what added value does upgrading to 3DX6 bring? If I could use version 5 with iClone 6, putting off an upgrade, that's what I'd do. But we can't.

Also, don’t forget 3DXchange 6.1 pipeline comes with free Props Destructible Physics. Which I’ve found, to my chagrin, will NOT work in iClone 6.1 anyway.
By redrubyslippers - 9 Years Ago
so after iclone 6 fiasco..i will probably not BUY exchange 6...i threw my money away with  iclone 6,,,lets face it it still crashes and the interface is all over the place...........im so disappointed..reallusion.. what have you done unless theres a real advantage, iclone 6 sits on my pc,, i refuse to use it...all my precious iclone files tucked away in 5,,cant justify spending the guts of 200 dollars on something that gives minimal advantage... sort iclone 6 out and maybe ill reconsider sorry rreallusion if you want my money you will have to do better...
By nat woi - 9 Years Ago

JimmyB7 (6/5/2015)
bsperan (6/4/2015)
Galfridus (6/1/2015)

Galfridus (6/1/2015)

Galfridus (6/1/2015)

* Merge Identical (SKP)

* G6 Character Creator

* 3D Data Silent I/O

* GoZ for ZBrush

Galfridus (6/1/2015)

Also, don’t forget 3DXchange 6.1 pipeline comes with free Props Destructible Physics. Which I’ve found, to my chagrin, will NOT work in iClone 6.1 anyway.

I agree with most of this highlight the best price  ploy and the free daz exe that come with this your on point with my thoughts

when you try to make a file like .bvh open default in 3DX6 -  it's impossible to do without editing registry if you keep both versions installed -  it always defaults back to 3DX5....I tried to rename the 3DX5 bin file to force the computer to recognize the new 3DXchange but it didn't work.     I should just uninstall 3DX5 but I like to keep the older versions for a few months in the event there is some incompatibility issue that i need to go back.    once I renamed the 3DX5 start file ....the system refuses to recognize 3DXchange at all. 
I uninstalled 3DX5 -  that still wasn't enough because some remnants were left behind in the registry -  I had to use ccleaner to remove what the 3DX5 uninstaller left in the registry -  working now -  but not a straight forward process.
planetstardragon (6/6/2015)
I uninstalled 3DX5 -  that still wasn't enough because some remnants were left behind in the registry -  I had to use ccleaner to remove what the 3DX5 uninstaller left in the registry -  working now -  but not a straight forward process.

Does 3dx5 stop working if you install 3dx6 on the same machine?
I read atleast 2 users having this issue and 1 not having this issue.
for me it didn't,  but the 3DXchange.exe file is the same name on both versions, and apparently this causes an issue with the windows registry - apparently windows will favor the first path over any subsequent paths in the registry when assigning an "Open with"  option.  - i went through the same thing with iclone a few months back with another software -  iclone.exe is universal for all versions of iclone.   It's as if windows considers the newer file as a backup for archive and not for execution.
By wendyluvscatz - 9 Years Ago
I am using both versions successfully but it is not my open with program for anything even SKP
FBX opens with FBX converter obj with obj viewer  SKP with sketchup etc and I prefer it that way
if I chose any other default program it would be Ultimate Unwrap 3D
I drop my files in it and that is my preferred workflow

that said had one oddity
subpropping an FBX import crashed it exporting to iC6 but 3DX5 was OK with it
also DAZ Studio4.8 FBX export using the latest year seems fixed with the parenting in place for props and bump settings correct in 3DX5 not 6 however got bump of 250 on some things
previous DS4.7and earlier  versions and indeed most obj imports bump was always way too high
By Tarampa Studios - 9 Years Ago
weird... and somewhat worrying... because I can't afford 3DX6 yet... but the RL team recently replied to one of my support tickets with the comment: 

"Note: You can still have 3DXchange 5 installed even if you have installed 3DXchange 6. Both versions can reside on the same computer...  Regarding 3DXchange 6, generally we recommend using the corresponding version of 3DXchange for your version of iClone. This because content is not backwards compatible. So any work you do in 3DXchange 6 that is saved in iClone 6 format will not be usable with iClone 5. However you can still open iClone 5 content in 3DXchange 6 but not the other way around."

So I'm keen to find out what your problem is too... ?
I'm completely perplexed about the attached bvh file -  it shows one way in 3DX6,  after re-targeting,  it shows fine,  when I use it on another character,  it plays something entirely different.    I don't know if this is just a trainwreck of a motion file,  or if this is a bug in 3DX  - but i have thrown everything and the kitchen sink at it to try and fix it,  got close but ...no...     rename the .txt to bvh -  forum didn't allow bvh tag.
By animagic - 9 Years Ago
hattori kun (6/2/2015)
Bray42 (6/1/2015)

This is the third time I read this in the forum. It seems odd that upon instaling Iclone 6.1 and 3dx 6, older version are unusable. I hope this is fixed ASAP.

I have 3DX 6 and 3DX 5 still works.

You can't blame RL for the fact that Trimble in their infinite wisdom changes the URL of 3DWarehouse. Just download directly from the site.

By Bezzer - 9 Years Ago
Hope I'm posting in the right place here...apologies in advance if not.
I upgraded to 3dxchange 6 a couple of weeks back and have been relatively happy with it on the whole...some improvements thus far, though I'm still not sure if it warrants me parting with another 100 bucks...yet.
I'm not particularly tech savy, so please excuse me if I'm being naive (or just plain stupid) here...I just want to convert DAZ characters and props for Iclone 6...but there's two things I'd like to see included in a patch update.

1. A 'save project' button...because there's nothing more annoying than spending an hour tidying up a large prop conversion, only to be told when you hit the export button that there's 'not enough memory' or have xchange crash during the export...also very handy if you haven't got another hour to spare on the day to tidy up said conversion.

2. A means of either a) optimising the available memory to optimise working with/exporting large models or b) reducing the poly count on large models.

Hope all this makes sense and I do apologise if these issues lie with me and my limited knowledge.
Again, I don't claim to be clued up here...I just want to convert and export without too much hassle, then do what I enjoy most, which is make movies in Iclone.
By Tarampa Studios - 9 Years Ago
I suggested that in the past too. Working on large model conversions with hundreds of subnodes has wasted up to 2 days of work each time if something goes wrong and I need to back up further than undo can handle....  when the whole issue could be bypassed if iClone was simply compatible with objs - drag and drop straight into the scene - without needing to convert them to iprops first, (which are oddly incompatible with any of the other software it's suppose to befriend anyway). 

But in the meantime - and apologies if you already know this - I've found that I can save and export segments of the project in stages, by selecting all the faces relevant to a major part - e.g. the left wing of a detailed fighter plane, without weaponry, which are saved as separate subnodes - and using Modify/Node/Make Subprop then F2 to rename the top node in the new sub-group - then exporting each segment to a custom iprops folder as a form of "mini backup"...

And the bonus with that "workaround" is gaining a component which can then be used in more than one style of sci-fi plane or whatever... same goes with all the weapons that can be mixed-n-matched with other models if they're saved separately. 

It's kinda like owning a really cool ferrari in iClone, and a knock-about 4WD for offroading with 3DXchange, and still needing to clone a few sedans to get all your kids to their sports events safely... LOL

It doesn't solve the issue with avatars though. Alas we can't save arms, legs, torso's as separate morphable components (yet) but wouldn't it be cool if we could export their boned limbs separately - especially where animals, aliens and mythical beasts are concerned... then again, I suppose that's what zbrush is for... 

By Ibis Fernandez - 9 Years Ago
Does the new 3dxchange create CTA2 compatible motion files?
By Stefos - 9 Years Ago
Problems with FBX export.

I build 3d Galleries, on exporting a gallery to an FBX no matter what I do Y is up or Z is up or rotate the model manually, when importing the model to my gallery software the model is not correct and is lying on it's side. I have never had problems in the past when exporting as an obj file then coverting to an FBX.

HELP!   
3dx6Pipeline and IC 6
My 3dx6P has gone bananas. It will not load daz fbx or obj files now.

Says incorrect file format. hu?

Anyone else having this problem? No changes or additions made on com. So????

Another uninstall and reinstall needed? This is getting old. Soooo many problems and bugs still. Will it ever end so we can actually use our programs?

OK, I uninstalled 3dx6P and reinstalled it and the patch.....NO GO. Same problem.

Also I noticed these two files as a bonus in 3dx6P
3dx5 character designers resource fbx 
3dx5 character designers resource for 540

Why are these two bonus files included with the 3dxP 6 ?????
By Ghismoiz - 9 Years Ago
Hello,

I would like to buy 3Dxchange 6, but i wonder if  the G6 Character Creator works? Is it now  fully functional with Shape, Skin, Outfit and Fabric System ?

Thanks
Resize Editor
We are still waiting on that addition.......sorry
but I think it comes soon.
Ahh good news.....3dx6P now works again. I think the problem was with the DAZ exporter.

Humm anyone reading this forum? Apparently not. Geeze I feel like I am talking to myself here.
By Ghismoiz - 9 Years Ago
Thank your for your answer Bray42 .
I hope these functions will come soon.
Have a nice day.
By lorrainepurviance - 9 Years Ago
I have 3dxchg 5 pro and am up to date; trying to install  version 6 and it says I do not have the most recent version and it says install it and try again.  now what...Hehe
As I understand it all.....??? lol I am No expert.
You keep ver 5 Pro. Ver 6 Pro wiil be a new ver install.
If you downloaded 6 from your member page (and code) that should be all you need to install 6. Then any update.

I suggest re-downloading it from your members page and try again but reboot first. Perhaps that may help you? I am not sure but it is worth a try as the experts do not seem to be around. Check your ver 5.5 patch updates from within 5 to make sure all is good (in case you missed something). Good luck. Let us know here how it goes.......

By TucsonDoobie - 9 Years Ago
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the 32 bit upgrade of 3DXChange.
I don't know how many times I have tried to download a SKP file only to have this program say there is not enough memory as shown in pic.  I have at least 60Gb memory free and the stupid file is only 6Mb?  How is it that a program that's purported to be "Robust" is just a bunch of hot wind.
I sure hope the updates include a 64 bit version because if it is not, what a bunch of money wasted on something that really only "kinda" works.  I complained about this before when I tried to export out to IC, the stupid object grew in size.  Why would a program add size to the conversion when you are trying to decimate in the first place?https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/c924ff02-5f45-4976-b4d2-f150.jpg
By Ebonith - 9 Years Ago
I am running into the same problem BeeFlowerPower is seeing. 

"Not Enough Memory"

32GB RAM (64 Bit OS)

My system is not even breathing hard and I get this error...  Sad
By urbanlamb - 9 Years Ago
hello didnt read the entire thread but.. I have a crash to desktop bug that is occuring  when the 3dexchange window is not full sized I often use it with the window smaller as in this photo and for some reason it wants to crash now.  Hard crash to desktop it "stop responding".  I have to enlarge the window and import and then size it down again to get it to not crash.   Not a big issue just annoying Smile 

Just adding this.. its stopped but I dont know why the only thing I can think is i also now have iclone open so.. dunno if that is a factor.. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5818d62c-71d8-435a-ba4e-bd4d.png
By SeanMac - 9 Years Ago
Hi Peter

Thanks for that. (Difference between Nvidia Geforce series 8 and 9 compared to 800 and 900 series)

OK I'll take note.

HomebuildASRock Z68 Extreme4 MoBo,  i7-2600K@3.4Ghz CPU , 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 5.5Tb SATA III HDD, Palit GeForce GTX 750 Tirunning DX 12.0; Win 10 Pro (64-bit) + Samsung S24D300H 1920X1080 monitor +spare 1680X1050 monitor. Kinect for Windows v2. Huion 610 Pro Graphics tablet.