Change Path to Custom Content in iClone 5

Posted By Tatterdemalion 11 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Tatterdemalion
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 10 Years Ago
By default, iClone 5 sets the Custom Folder location to C:Users - Public - Public Documents - Reallusion - Custom - iClone 5 Custom.

I would like to be able to move my storage elsewhere but there is no option in Preferences to do this. Is it correct that there is nowhere you can change this simply from within the program ???

colour
colour
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Tatterdemalion (7/14/2013)
By default, iClone 5 sets the Custom Folder location to C:Users - Public - Public Documents - Reallusion - Custom - iClone 5 Custom.

I would like to be able to move my storage elsewhere but there is no option in Preferences to do this. Is it correct that there is nowhere you can change this simply from within the program ???

I think the selection needs to be made when Installing iC5, not after. Doing it after entails changing Registry Entries (I think) & not very successful.

IMO, it's best to leave all Content in Reallusion's Default Directories if you don't want to encounter problems..

Anyone-else?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REALLUSION FORUM ANNUAL PINHEAD COMMUNITY PROJECTS.

New Pinhead Website & Project to be announced in September 2015

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
and that's one big reason I don't want to go ssd. Wink

kenmatthews
kenmatthews
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
HelloSmile

I had this very problem and we had a discussion about it recently. I ended up taking Armstrong's advice and solved my problem with SymMover... BigGrin
Here's a link to the discussion, it worked for me...

https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic157482-281-1.aspx?Highlight=symmover

Best regards

Ken.Rolleyes

The more I learn, the more I realise, I know nothing!
Tatterdemalion
Tatterdemalion
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Thanks for the tips, Peeps. I wonder why Reallusion NEED to make it awkward to change. IS there a reason ? I've got used to using Magix Movie Edit Pro - which lets me put ANYTHING ANYWHERE whenever I like - and that's sooooo helpful. It lets me place my works in progress in my Dropbox so that I have constant AUTOMATIC saves with VERSIONING which is sooooooo helpful.

Gets me out of pickles in the event of mistakes or crashes and I don't have to CONSTANTLY MANUALLY back-up after every save - I can do it at SANE intervals instead.

I haven't reinstalled Crazy Talk or Crazy Talk Animator on this machine yet. Will those titles also encourage a permanent, uneditable destination ?

If I uninstall and re-install, will Reallusion mark that as another installation against the five permitted ???!

My last PC broke so there was no way I could de-register Install 1. That machine will NEVER be booting up again.
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

well, to RL's defense, the company and software is evolving. You have to consider that when they started with the software, it was meant more for hobbyist consumers and it wasn't common to have a multi drive - raid like set up at home. We've worked as a community to make it hardcore! BigGrin

with that said, I suggest making a wishful feature for it so it becomes a formal request. Multi drive set ups are a pro feature- and that's where we heading!! w00t

Edited
11 Years Ago by planetstardragon
kenmatthews
kenmatthews
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I agree with Planetstardragon. Smile We do need  a multi-drive system, a drive system whereby the only residents of the C: drive are the actual programmes, with all content being assigned to a different drive. I also see merit in being able to assign different drives for different projects, that way you can keep everything (including video clips) in a specific location... I say this because my current project (a feature) is starting to assume Biblical proportions... Ermm

Best regards.

Ken Blush

The more I learn, the more I realise, I know nothing!

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.1K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 7 minutes ago
Tatterdemalion (7/14/2013)
If I uninstall and re-install, will Reallusion mark that as another installation against the five permitted ???!

If you uninstall while connected to the internet it will not be counted as another installation.

It will also not remove your installed content packs or custom content when uninstalling (backing up is always recommended though). This means it should only take a few minutes to reinstall.

It is possible to edit the system registry to change the location of your content folders, but as there are multiple entries to change it is not really recommended. Besides it could take longer to edit the registry than it does to reinstall. Smile

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

wires
wires
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
My C drive contains only programme files. My default and custom iClone files are stored on an extra drive, and my iClone Temp folder is on yet another drive. All of these options are selectable during installation.

Keeping all of this stuff split up has many advantages, the main programme is reading from drive C, files are being read from the content drive and Temp files are being written to their own drive. No single drive is being overworked with a serious dose of read/writes almost at once, and the system seems to run faster and smoother - can't really remember when I had my last crash.

I don't only do this with iClone; Sketchup and Gimp files are also stored on the content drive. My NLE has one drive for Recording/Reading and yet another for Storage/Writing. 6 drives just for running software and storing files and 1 main backup drive for images/downloads.

Just my way of doing things, and drive prices being what they are makes it easier on the mind and the pocket.Smile

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

justaviking
justaviking
Posted 11 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.4K reputation)

The distribution Gerry (Wires) described is very common.

These locations should be OPTIONS we can modify even AFTER INSTALLATION.

"During installation" is wonderful, but many times you don't know how you want it configured until after you've used an application for a while.  Besides, you're naturally excited to get your new software installed and running so you can play with it, so you just click "Next, next, next" and figure you'll change storage locations later.

iClone 7... Character Creator... Substance Designer/Painter... Blender... Audacity...
Desktop (homebuilt) - Windows 10, Ryzen 9 3900x CPU, GTX 1080 GPU (8GB), 32GB RAM, Asus X570 Pro motherboard, 2TB SSD, terabytes of disk space, dual  monitors.
Laptop - Windows 10, MSI GS63VR STEALTH-252, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 (6GB), 256GB SSD and 1TB HDD

Reading This Topic