Text to speech without speech?

Posted By djmulcahy 13 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
djmulcahy
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
I've been trying to figure out a way to use the text-to-speech option in iC4 without actually having any speech, if that makes any sense.

I simply want the character to lip-sync some dialog without the brutal synthesized voice that accompanies it. If I turn the volume off, no animation plays. If I turn it down to 1 or 2 %, the voice present can still be heard.

Am I missing something simple, or is this just not possible in iClone? I'd be happy to get CrazyTalk, but I have no way of knowing if that would have the fix for me. Anyone else know?

I'm open to suggestions, because my next project involves a lot of lips moving with no actual dialog, and the basic text to speech option seems the easiest way to accomplish this, if I could figure how to get that done.

Thanks!

Read "A Simple Scribe" on Kindle, a dark fantasy graphic novel made with iClone!    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0DGK4L

Cricky
Cricky
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Skype ID= learn.iclone

Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)Skype ID= learn.iclone (13.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
djmulcahy (9/3/2011)
I've been trying to figure out a way to use the text-to-speech option in iC4 without actually having any speech, if that makes any sense.

I simply want the character to lip-sync some dialog without the brutal synthesized voice that accompanies it. If I turn the volume off, no animation plays. If I turn it down to 1 or 2 %, the voice present can still be heard.

Am I missing something simple, or is this just not possible in iClone? I'd be happy to get CrazyTalk, but I have no way of knowing if that would have the fix for me. Anyone else know?

I'm open to suggestions, because my next project involves a lot of lips moving with no actual dialog, and the basic text to speech option seems the easiest way to accomplish this, if I could figure how to get that done.

Thanks!

Look down below the Viewing screen for your scene,

See the Musical Note?

To the left is a VOCAL Volume Control...this is an overall Volume control, but the lips will move without sound being rendered.

Lip Movement without speech is like hearing after a loud Rock Concert, the only thing everyone hears is HUH?

SKYPE ID: rc.650

http://city.reallusion.com/store/ModuleExpand.aspx?id=GS634545170497417354&mdid=18866

http://city.reallusion.com/ContentTag.aspx?tagname=Cricky&AuthorID=20081020688550191201#]Reallusion Store Content

" If I had Alzheimer's (Old Timers), would I know it? "
Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Cricky (9/3/2011)
To the left is a VOCAL Volume Control...this is an overall Volume control, but the lips will move without sound being rendered.

Yes, but it is my impression that the audio still gets written into the AVI file and there is no kill switch for it. As far as I know, it has to be stripped out of the render in a video editor. We need a mute switch for output.

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
Darren01
Darren01
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.0K reputation)

Last Active: 3 days ago
Crazy Talk definitely allows you to delete the vocals but keep the lip synch
I can't remember precisely how I did it, it wasn't exactly a straight forward procedure though. I think Peter actually suggested how to do it ?

Edited
13 Years Ago by Darren01
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
Paumanok West (9/4/2011)
Cricky (9/3/2011)

Yes, but it is my impression that the audio still gets written into the AVI file and there is no kill switch for it. As far as I know, it has to be stripped out of the render in a video editor. We need a mute switch for output.

Can this be controlled within the CODEC?
Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
rampa (9/5/2011)
Paumanok West (9/4/2011)

Can this be controlled within the CODEC?

No, the codecs for audio and video are separate in most video formats.

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Darren01 (9/5/2011)
Crazy Talk definitely allows you to delete the vocals but keep the lip synch
I can't remember precisely how I did it, it wasn't exactly a straight forward procedure though. I think Peter actually suggested how to do it ?

In CrazyTalk you can change the sound file, but keep the animation. Replacing the speech file with a sound file with just silence would do it.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
Paumanok West (9/4/2011)
Cricky (9/3/2011)

There is a Mute check mark at the bottom of the right-hand panel for the character, but that doesn't seem to suppress the vocals when unchecked.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

djmulcahy
djmulcahy
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)Veteran Member (795 reputation)

Okie dokie...

I'm super confused now. So with the vocal volume down, I can turn off the voice in the preview, but not actually in the finished product?

And I probably can in CrazyTalk, but the process isn't very intuitive, apparently.

This seems a little weird... I mean, text to speech is the easiest way to animate speaking, but I'll take a swing and say that no one likes the digitized voices. I'm really surprised there isn't a simple way to animate speech without the voice.

So basically, it's either animate the facial features one word at a time, or buy CrazyTalk and cross my fingers and hope I can figure out how to delete the voice track?

Read "A Simple Scribe" on Kindle, a dark fantasy graphic novel made with iClone!    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0DGK4L

djmulcahy
djmulcahy
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Wait... lemme see if I've got this...

The vocal volume slider will mute the voice during the preview, but the mute checkbox will prevent the vocal sound track from being exported?

Is that it?

Or did I just confuse myself more? BigGrin

Reading This Topic