Animation Blending

Posted By Magique 13 Years Ago
Rated 1 star based on 1 vote.
Author
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I don't think iClone can do this, but I've found it's always a good idea to ask here before I assume that. I've looked at the manual and played with the program and cannot figure out how to do this, if it's even possible, so I'm asking here.

I want to be able to take a character walk animation and blend it with the character waving or pointing or something like that. So The characters is walking along and then he waves. The wave animation and walk animation are 2 separate animations that need to be blended together.

I know I can manually manipulate the character's arm in the middle of a walk and make it do something else, but it would be much nicer to just blend the 2 animations together.

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Magique (6/22/2011)
I don't think iClone can do this, but I've found it's always a good idea to ask here before I assume that. I've looked at the manual and played with the program and cannot figure out how to do this, if it's even possible, so I'm asking here.

I want to be able to take a character walk animation and blend it with the character waving or pointing or something like that. So The characters is walking along and then he waves. The wave animation and walk animation are 2 separate animations that need to be blended together.

I know I can manually manipulate the character's arm in the middle of a walk and make it do something else, but it would be much nicer to just blend the 2 animations together.

Yes, sorry, no can do. I don't think this will change with iClone 5, either. Crying

I suspect this is one of the costs of fundamentally making iClone so easy to use.

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
sw00000p (6/22/2011)
Maqique,

Being that your a Senior Member, have you tried scripting it? Use Persist and Desist and simply point to each animation!

PW, I'm shocked at your response! You Really don't know how to do this?

sw00000p

swoop, no, I haven't a clue! The thing is, you've long been dropping hints that suggest you know a lot more about scripting than we do... I know that sounds like a negative comment, but it absolutely is not. My point is that some of us on the forum share lots of info with the community, but nobody is really teaching us about scripting. Why can't you be that person? Smile

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

sw00000p (6/22/2011)
Maqique,

Being that your a Senior Member, have you tried scripting it?  Use Persist and Desist and simply point to each animation!

PW, I'm shocked at your response! You Really don't know how to do this?

sw00000p

I have only once looked at scripting and didn't learn much when I did. I would prefer to not have to learn scripting to accomplish something like this. Game engines and other animation packages accomplish this very easily. It's pretty common in modern 3D software.

The previous poster says that iClone cannot do this. You're saying it can be done. Can you show a video of the results?

Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (6/22/2011)
Maqique,

iClone3 AML Tutorials:
http://developer.reallusion.com/amleditor.aspx

To Blend Upperbody and Lowerbody motions:

LEARN THIS BABY and YOU CAN DO EVERYTHING
http://developer.reallusion.com/aml/Avatar_Persona_All/index.asp

EDIT:
To make it work with iClone4... See Above Post!
COME ON! YOU CAN DO IT!

sw00000p

That's great. So it IS possible to do this. The problem is, I want to make movies, not write programs. And this is coming from someone who's been a software engineer for the past 23 years. Funny that, but this'll just get nuts if I try to make a film where I'm spending 5 hours to get blended animations working for every scene I need them in. I'm happy it can be done, but man am I going to have to learn a lot of scripting to get to where I need to be.

Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (6/22/2011)
Magique (6/22/2011)
sw00000p (6/22/2011)

I have only once looked at scripting and didn't learn much when I did. I would prefer to not have to learn scripting to accomplish something like this. Game engines and other animation packages accomplish this very easily. It's pretty common in modern 3D software.

iClone is NOT a Game Engine! You Cannot expect 'Her to Act As One!

Common in Modern Software.....
What Other Real-Time Movie Maker can you blend Motions... IN THE $200 dollar range???

sw00000p

Well, Cal3D is a free, open source animation library that has animation blending. Here is a video showing it in action:

http://download.gna.org/cal3d/skeleton-win-low.avi

And if there's free source code showing how to do it, it shouldn't be that much of a hassle to incorporate it into iClone. I'm a 3D programmer myself and although I never got around to implementing blended animations, I investigated it and it wasn't that much different than the base code for running single animations. It was mainly a matter of weighting the affects of the various animations on the different body parts.

Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (6/22/2011)
Everybody is too DARN LAZY! and Just Wants it to Work!

Is it a lot of work? H E C K YEA!
What do you expect for $200 Bucks?

sw00000p

What is your objection to having an easy way to do this? Do you LIKE it to be complicated and hard to use?

Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (6/22/2011)
You Could Blend your animation in BLENDER... (FREE) Then bring 'EM into iClone

sw00000p

OK, so you're suggesting I learn how to use a ridiculously complex software tool like Blender to do this? And so I somehow get my character into Blender, somehow blend the animations, and then somehow export them back to iClone. All things I have no clue how to do and don't want to.

Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (6/22/2011)
Magique (6/22/2011)
sw00000p (6/22/2011)
Maqique,

Can you show a video of the results?
The previous poster says that iClone cannot do this. You're saying it can be done.

Can you show a video of the results? HERE SHE IS:
http://developer.reallusion.com/aml/Avatar_Persona_All/index.asp

The previous poster says that iClone cannot do this. You're saying it can be done.
SHE CAN TO:Tongue

sw00000p

Yes, I saw this video already and responded. Nice video, but you didn't make it or did you?

Magique
Magique
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (6/22/2011)
Maqique, (Mr. Scripter)

YOU KNOW ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT ANIMATION! (MR. SCRIPTER)

* You DO NOT need to take your iClone character into Any Program to Blend Animation!
* You spent ONLY $200 dollars and want it to Blend Animation For You!
* NO OTHER REAL-TIME MOVIE MAKER, for $200 bucks, BLENDS ANIMATION!

IF you ever climp off that High-Horse, you might see just how simple your request is!
(MR. SCRIPTER) why don't you follow (THE GIVEN TUTORIALS) and get with the Program!

LAZY AZ

sw00000p

I've reported your rude and offensive comments to the moderators. I will no longer engage in a dialog with you. Have a nice day.

Reading This Topic