How to activate Head tab?

Posted By wjs_pdi 13 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
wjs_pdi
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 13 Years Ago
I'm running iClone 4 (v 4.31.2517.1) and notice that when the app opens the Project tab is pre-selected and all the other tabs are "available" - in that when you cursor over one it changes color and then can be selected. All except Head - which is grayed out always.

The Help system begins the chapter on 'Creating a Head' with the instruction "Click the Head tab". Impossible. It's immune to being clicked. What's wrong? Thanks.
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 48 seconds ago
Do you have an avatar loaded and selected? Creating a head requires an avatar. Once you select the avatar, the Head tab should become available.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

wjs_pdi
wjs_pdi
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Last Active: 13 Years Ago
Thanks, that worked. I do feel a tad foolish, but how ashamed should I be when Reallusion creates Help says the first step in creating a head is "Click the Head tab." The software is wonderful, but the company tutorials and documentation are awful.

When will iClone have enough users such that someone will write a book containing real, grown-up, tutorials and work-flow examples?

Anyone else agree?
animagic
animagic
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Don't feel foolish... All of us had to learn one way or the other.  I often find instructions for using software lacking, not just for iClone.

There is a tutorial on Youtube that explains how to create a face, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnMvcFb5XTQ.

I checked and it does instruct to load a character first. Of course, the manual/help should contain that information too and right now it doesn't.

There is a topic requesting comments regarding the manual/help for iClone 4, so you may want to point that out.

Orion_Uk
Orion_Uk
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)

Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Hi, this post is a bit old so i hope someone stumbles on to it!

I have my character selected (its highlighted by a yellow `corner` box type around the character) but still the head tab is grayed out!

Sorry, just brought Iclone 5 pro and need some direction!

w00t
Edited
12 Years Ago by neil_isted
animagic
animagic
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

It may be a non-standard character; the Head tab is not available for these. They are usually characters that have been converted from other programs.

You should see the tab though for characters that come default with your iClone, such as Chuck and Gwyn.

Orion_Uk
Orion_Uk
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)New Member (30 reputation)

animagic (5/30/2012)
It may be a non-standard character; the Head tab is not available for these. They are usually characters that have been converted from other programs.

You should see the tab though for characters that come default with your iClone, such as Chuck and Gwyn.

Many thanks for your reply animagic Wink

So I cant do face/head animation with a Daz Genesis head in Iclone then Sad

After a bit more reading I am starting to get the hang of the GUI now, still a long way to go but learning is a journey right?

Smile
Edited
12 Years Ago by neil_isted
animagic
animagic
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Orion_Uk (5/31/2012)

After a bit more reading I am starting to get the hang of the GUI now, still a long way to go but learning is a journey right?

Smile

There will be a free update coming out that will allow facial animation of imported characters such as DAZ Genesis. We are all looking forward to that!

Learning is certainly a journey. It took me quite some time to become familar with iClone. It's best to start with simple projects.

Orion_Uk
Orion_Uk
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

animagic (5/31/2012)
Orion_Uk (5/31/2012)

Smile

There will be a free update coming out that will allow facial animation of imported characters such as DAZ Genesis. We are all looking forward to that!

Learning is certainly a journey. It took me quite some time to become familar with iClone. It's best to start with simple projects.

Most handy indeed Wink

I hope it will cover all daz characters and Genesis & any characters created in Blender/Carrara Wink

Going to spend the day going through the forums and youtub Smile

And so my studying begins Wink

Thank you once again for your helpful replies Smile
wendyluvscatz
wendyluvscatz
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Senior Forum Member

Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)Senior Forum Member (11.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Hi Orion, replied to your pm on the Daz forum!
as said, it is coming SOON and not Daz soon, Reallusion are pretty good with their updates, it will actually happen while logged in using the program, you will get a message asking you to enable download of the update, it will then ask you to close iClone or 3dx and install it!
often on the forum there is an earlybird link as soon as it is available.

Reading This Topic