A crash followed by inability to run iclone

Posted By thebiz.movies 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
rontarrant
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 Years Ago
thebiz.movies (11/29/2010)
I am now crashing about every 5 minutes of Iclone usage.

Intel Core i7-740QM 1.73GHz Processor with Turbo Boost up to 2.93GHz

iClone is, from what I gather, CPU intensive. Makes a CPU work its butt off. Heat, CPU panic, crash. It sounds like a cooling problem to me.

Because this problem escalated over a month, this may be your scenario:

The seal between the heat sink and the CPU may be compromised, perhaps because the heat sink wasn't seated properly. If that's the case, over a month of usage, the heat sink compound would have hardened or cooked off and left enough air between the CPU and the heat sink to cause this problem.

I hope this message finds you and your computer both doing well. I melted a computer once. It wasn't a pretty sight.

If you can, turn down the speed of your CPU and see if that makes a difference. You didn't mention a liquid cooling system, so I'm assuming you don't have one. If turning the CPU down to its rated speed stops the crashing, and turning it back up makes it misbehave again, get a technician to change the heat sink compound (BTW, it's also sometimes called thermal grease, thermal paste or thermal gel and myriad other names).

You might also consider looking into a liquid cooling system to help keep the heat under control. Cranking up the clock on a CPU to almost double its rated speed begs for liquid cooling.

- Ron T.

safegaard
safegaard
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)Veteran Member (852 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
Yes it could be a heating problem.

If you have any guarantee on the pc and its possible to get it checked by professionals i would do so if i was you.
If it is an hardware problem who aper when the computer have to do real work to the limit it could be just a matter of time before it goes worth.
I run i7 to and it should be no problem at all with that processor. BUT i had to manually update all of my drivers when i got the "brand" new computer.
Best off luck Smile

For the love of 3d http://www.safegaard.com
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Nvidia offers a system monitoring program , it may help to install it and watch your stats / system performance and take notes of any changes that may appear when these crashes occur. http://www.nvidia.com/object/system_monitor.html

the turbo jump ( overclock ) is a pretty steep jump which is sure to raise the temperature in your system.... and that will cause a shut down .....but a short or potential defective card can cause this kind of problem too. My system has a short that I can't find ...and sometimes when I'm engaged in a project I'm either tapping my feet or playing loud music ...and it kicks in the short ....system just shuts down ......sometimes it will not reboot till i give it a soft tap at the side.

another possible thing to check , is to make sure your system is in a properly ventilated area...sometimes these new systems are made to the brink of performance ...and become ultra sensitive to environment ... your fans may be cooling off your system based on a fixed room temperature ....not next to a heater or backed up against the wall ...also check to make sure there are no stickers covering any vents in your system. I had a laptop that would shut down every 5 minutes ....It was an over powered toshiba with a poorly designed vent system ....so if I put the laptop on my bed ...between the dust on the vent and the bed suffocating what was left of the vent ...boom ... I bought a can of compressed air ...and made a habit of putting my lap top on a flat surface , and it ran much much better.

good luck and happy holdays.

Edited
14 Years Ago by planetstardragon
moanou2
moanou2
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
oh fuck got the same shit with a brand new machine, did u find the answer of what to do ? thx for replying if u do so.

loustik

moanou2
moanou2
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)

plus i got a brand nu machine maximus z3b3 a 2700k cooled by a nouctua up 12 and gtx 580 gigabyte it should work perfectly ....but no it crashes all over the place....... i m desperate
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (23.2K reputation)

what kind of crashes, shut down / blue screen of death / program freeze / system lock up etc.

if your system is shutting down randomly, then it's most likely a hardware or critical os system issue.

if your program is locking up, it may be an installation / driver issue.

if your system is freezing up, it may be a driver issue or a weak video card issue.

if random software keeps locking up, not just iclone, it may be a virus or corrupt file issue.

If your computer randomly types malicious things in latin then it may be an exorcism issue lol :p

one tell tale sign if the forces of evil have taken your computer hostage is this message -

Edited
12 Years Ago by planetstardragon
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@sw00000p, and that is my sole drive to making music and videos! thats my yob in life!! Wink

moanou2
moanou2
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

well...thxs for the answer i know all that , i even went to church to burn a huge candle 53 years of credit !!!  anyway, every part is brand new nicely built and all the other prg work perfectly ...ahh to take my revenge i pushed the processor till 4.27 (it s great speed) and all the fans together singing my blue ( detuned guitar ).....raaahhh  ...ghost in ze machine  !!!!

thx anyway your reply could have killed a beginner fortunately i m not so i laughed my *** off too !!

still searching or digging....

moanou2
moanou2
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

moanou2 (3/5/2012)
well...thxs for the answer i know all that , i even went to church to burn a huge candle 53 years of credit !!!  anyway, every part is brand new nicely built and all the other prg work perfectly ...ahh to take my revenge i pushed the processor till 4.27 (it s great speed) and all the fans together singing my blue ( detuned guitar ).....raaahhh  ...ghost in ze machine  !!!!

thx anyway your reply could have killed a beginner fortunately i m not so i laughed my *** off too !!

still searching or digging....

ah this happens only with iclone5  and i sware i ve done everything even unsual shit to get the point but .....(sound of a fart...)
planetstardragon
planetstardragon
Posted 12 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

you have your direct x 9 up and running ? if you have a newer computer it's most likely utilizing mostly direct x 10 ...where as iclone uses direct x 9 ...and that would cause crashes unique to iclone if there was an issue.

Reading This Topic