Posted By Verklagekasper 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Exporting a character animation as a sequence of OBJ files

Author
Verklagekasper
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)Veteran Member (847 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Hi there,

I would like to export a character animation as a sequence of .obj files to render it with a software renderer. Alas, the current procedure for this is utterly tedious:
You can import an iClone character to 3DXChange4 and then drop an animation clip on the window to pose the character. However, only the first frame of the animation is shown, and there is no way to select a different frame.
So, in order to export a complete animation, I would first have to split an animation in iClone into hundrets and thousands of separate clips, then apply each of those clips to the character in 3DXchange to pose it and subsequently export it. And all of that would have to be done by hand...

It would be great to have an export option in 3DXChange to export a sequence of .obj files based on an animation. Eg. you open an "OBJ sequence" export dialog, select the the starting and finishing frame, hit "OK", and then a sequence of .obj files is exported, one .obj for each frame.
For that matter, it already would be a big improvement if 3DXChange allowed to select a certain frame other than the first frame from an animation to pose the character for export.

Cheers,
Burkhard
Seeker769
Seeker769
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.7K reputation)

Last Active: 11 Years Ago
Why not just ask for FBX export? It seems that would be infinetly easier.

Chris

PS: Be carefull if you go to Truebones, I've seen a lot of complaints in this forum.

iClone training resources  https://forum.reallusion.com/Topic70771-161-1.aspx

polygame
polygame
Posted 13 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)Senior Member (338 reputation)

Last Active: 12 Years Ago
I can understand why he might be needing it, I do to...

I use a game engine called Future Pinball and you cannot import animated 3D model within the program.

what you can do is to load a couple of "pause" from the same model, and script them so they can replace eachothers at runtime, giving the impression of animated character.

Actually I use XSI to do that because export OBJ sequence is supported. but my animation skill is better with IClone so I'd Wish I could do it directly from there.

Steve

Reading This Topic