Profile Picture

Export Motion Director animations to Unity?

Posted By jerome.dipietro Yesterday
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Question.png
jerome.dipietro
Posted Yesterday
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Before I buy a bunch of Motion Director packs, can I ask if it's possible to export the animations to Unity, where I'll be using them.

I can see from the KnowledgeBase that "if you use the Motion Director system, then the animated result can also be recorded into the timeline for motion editing, just as a normal motion clip". (ref)
Can I double check that the workflow would then be, author using MD, record to timeline, then export to FBX with animations baked in?
Has anyone done this? Is the workflow laborious for a lot of characters (e.g. a crowd scene)? How exactly is the MD animation recorded into timeline, I can't seem to find a video tutorial on how to do this.

As always, any help much appreciated.

Unity Virtual Reality Developer
Victor.Soupday
Victor.Soupday
Posted Yesterday
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 hours ago
I think pretty much exactly that.

I made this a while ago:

It's the Snaps - Asian Residential HDRP asset from the Unity asset store
I used the FBX Exporter package to export the scene mesh (no materials) from Unity to iClone, then in Motion Director, just wandered around the scene using an XBox 360 controller.
Added some head tracking to the motion clip in iClone, then exported that character and animation to Unity.
In Unity added a camera animation track in Timeline and then just recorded the Play mode output.

For multiple characters to may have to export them one by one. But other than that it was quite straightforward.

Edited
Yesterday by Victor.Soupday

Reading This Topic