How to lock hand position?

Posted By DRLarkin 3 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
DRLarkin
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
New to iClone.
I know how to lock hands and/or feet when creating a pose or keyframe. 
What I do not know how to do is lock a position during animation.  I set a start and end keyframe (the same location) for the left hand.
However, between these two keyframes, the upper body moves and IK kicks in and moves the arm/hand.
Can I tell iClone that I do not want the hand to move during these frames?
Here is a render of the problem.  I do not want the hand to move at all (I will be adding hand / finger animations later).
Thanks!
--DRLarkin

Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)

Last Active: 46 minutes ago
You mean stay locked to the initial location, while the arm moves around it by IK? Try a reach target.

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (22.0K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
If you just need to lock a certain bone for the period of time (like hand on a table) while animating the character, you may do so with IK/FK switches.

DRLarkin
DRLarkin
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)Veteran Member (590 reputation)

Thanks @Rampa and @4u2ges.
I had tried the IK/FK switches that 4u2ges suggested and wasn't getting the results I expected.  After reading his post I tried again and it seems to be working.  I must have done something different the first time around.
I decided to work with the Reach Target that Rampa suggested because it gave me an excuse to play around with this feature. 
Overall, I like the results but I have a problem I don't know how to correct.  Please see the video.

Using Reach Target, I set some keys for "Reach L Hand" and then decided to remove them. However, I can't seem to delete the keys for "Reach L Hand Offset".
Since I do not have any other keys between the start and end of this clip, I assume it is the offset keys that are causing the twisting hand movement.
How do I delete offset keys? Or is there a different problem (if so, what is it)?--DRLarkin
Thanks,
--DRLarkin

Edited
3 Months Ago by DRLarkin
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (37.3K reputation)

Last Active: 46 minutes ago
You actually do not need to delete any keys. Just set the reach mode to lock both position and rotation, and the hand will stay put.

When you check the rotation box, you may have the hand rotate to an odd position. Use the gizmo to rotate it to look natural again and to position it eactly where you want it.
Edited
3 Months Ago by Rampa
DRLarkin
DRLarkin
Posted 3 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I looked and both Position and Rotation are checked.
I also ran it with motion layers off.  I didn't expect that to make a difference since it appears that the Reach track is outside of the Motion tracks.  And of course, it didn't make a difference.
I can't delete or move the key markers shown on the summary Reach bar.  I can only move the triangles within the specific track.
How do I delete a key if I decide I don't want it? 
I will see if I can find some additional videos covering Reach Target in the learning library.

Also, is there a way to temporarily disable the Reach Track so I can play the animation without it and then turn it back on so I can compare the results?

Edited
3 Months Ago by DRLarkin

Reading This Topic