How I Finally Imported a Daz Talking Animal into Iclone

Posted By R Ham 7 Months Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
R Ham
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Months Ago
I’ve been trying to import Daz talking animals to iClone for a long time. I always thought it was my fault I couldn’t get it to work. I was wrong. But, iClone has the best lipsync around, and Daz has a render time of 4 hours for 18 seconds of vid. I had to wring this process out for once and for all. Here I show you what I came up with.

Why Two Pieces?

If you pose them in Daz, iClone may crash when you try to import them. You need to pose them in iClone. That means you must import them in their default pose and leave them as a prop. If you convert the body to a Humanoid, iClone will replace the bones with its own simplified version, removing certain key pivot points, limiting your ability to pose them.

The head, on the other hand, must be a Humanoid in order to speak, hence two separate pieces. Generally, the opacity masks are easy to make in your bitmap editor. Link the head to the body. That way when you move the body, the head will come with it. Bring it into your set using Merge Project. You may need to readjust the head position a bit after applying a pose.

If both parts are selected at the same time, you can use the Duplicate function. Note that the head-body link must be re-established after Duplication.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ef2ad07a-31d3-40c5-af20-7c05.jpg

"Less clicks good, more clicks bad."
Edited
7 Months Ago by R Ham
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
What version of the Daz cat is that?

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

R Ham
R Ham
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.2K reputation)

That's the Daz House Cat. Slightly more sophisticated than the Millennium Cat.

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

I’ve been trying to import Daz talking animals to iClone for a long time. I always thought it was my fault I couldn’t get it to work. I was wrong. But, iClone has the best lipsync around, and Daz has a render time of 4 hours for 18 seconds of vid.
Crappy Daz lipsynch
FBX to Blender.
6 seconds per frame no GPU
it’s a shame they( Daz) Does not care about decent Character animation tools to compliment their  nice figures

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins

R Ham
R Ham
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Your Blender skills are very good. I would like to be 1/4 that good. I would like a Blender classroom session if I had one. Do you recommend any of the books?
Daz render time keeps it from being useful for animation. Their models, though, are the best around. Their collection of talking animals is highly underappreciated. Even by Daz.
My introduction to lipsync was Crazy Talk in 2004. I was blown away by lipsync. I still am.

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I personally am of the opinion that printed books are the worst way to learn any modern 3D program, even Iclone

There really is no need to attain some certain level of “expertise
In Blender if you just need a render engine that is Better than Iclone and faster than Daz studio’s, Dumb Brute ,force pathtracer Iray.

You really only need to learn Blenders lighting ,Camera and render system.
the free blender pipeline tool from Reallusion will take care of the rest.

Exporting figures/animals straight from Daz to Blender require some extensive knowledge of the Daz figure eco system though.
I started with Poser in the late 1990’s and migrated to Daz  studio in
2008 when they implemented their nonlinear motion clip system.

Daz already had a great audio based lipsinc system called Mimic pro for their native figures.
But they never bought the rights to recompile it for 64 bit.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ab473598-6465-43f5-9d90-ee43.png
so these days  you have to buy a third party plugin to lipsinc Daz figures
some of which are actually  expensive iphone arkit based solutions such as face motion for Daz studio.
its all very complicated with Daz
because each Genesis figure iteration effectively requires its own separate eco system of content( particularly for animation)
which is why Iclone/Accuface/acculips is so much more attractive.

Ghost Origins

Edited
7 Months Ago by AutoDidact
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I suspect you are not the only one who thinks that.

The printed word took us out of the Dark Ages and gave us the technology we have today. When we lose it, and we are well on our way to losing it, we will return to the Dark Ages. When I realized this, I asked myself; How did people make a living then?

There was an old man with a horse and wagon. He traveled from one small town to the next. When he got there, he set up a little stage and put on a puppet show. All the kids came and gave him a penny to watch his show. Then he left and went to the next town. This is the model I am following. My puppets are virtual, and the Internet is my horse and wagon. The hardest part is not learning 3D Animation. The hardest part is knowing what the characters should say. Making people laugh is not easy.

I've begun looking for Blender training. I have particular ideas about how it should be structured, and I'll see how close to that I can come. A good craftsman works with the tools at hand.

AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The printed word took us out of the Dark Ages and gave us the technology we have today. When we lose it, and we are well on our way to losing it, we will return to the Dark Ages. 

Only if there is some catastrophic, global technological 
regression of our entire civilization and all digital
Data and satellite communication is permanently lost. in which case having books will be the least of most people (survivors) concerns
and the books that Did  still exist would likely be valued for their paper pages more than what is printed on them .

I worked in the Print industry for 19 years before really getting into 3D/CG
I LOVE the printed medium  and  truly miss it
I would like to create my own graphic novel.

But sadly it is becoming increasingly cost prohibitive as a distribution format compared to just putting digital media online.

The problem with printed manuals for 3D modeling /animation/VFX (even PDF’s)
is that is is extremely hard (and time consuming), to write tehcnical descriptions of how to interact with the very complex interfaces of a modern 3D program like Blender,C4D,Maya or even Daz studio/Iclone without ALOT of Pictures and you quickly reach a point where you realize this would be so much easier to explain with just a 4 minute video screen recording and some brief commentary
the way Kellytoons or 4U2ges does so well, in answering a simple “how to” question about some minor procedure in iclone.

My puppets are virtual, and the Internet is my horse and wagon. The hardest part is not learning 3D Animation. The hardest part is knowing what the characters should say. Making people laugh is not easy.

My sentiments exactly I have everything I need now in terms of  3D software, AI voice generators Modeling ,animation skills but the biggest challenge is having a compelling story to tell. 

Ghost Origins

Edited
7 Months Ago by AutoDidact
R Ham
R Ham
Posted 7 Months Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

AutoDidact (3/3/2024)
The problem with printed manuals for 3D modeling /animation/VFX (even PDF’s)
is that is is extremely hard (and time consuming), to write tehcnical descriptions of how to interact with the very complex interfaces of a modern 3D program like Blender,C4D,Maya or even Daz studio/Iclone without ALOT of Pictures and you quickly reach a point where you realize this would be so much easier to explain with just a 4 minute video screen recording and some brief commentary
the way Kellytoons or 4U2ges does so well, in answering a simple “how to” question about some minor procedure in iclone.

We have no one left who can write them.  Literacy levels shrink every year. True, the shortcoming of books and vids is, you can't ask a question.
Online forums were established because they are cheaper than writers (or teachers). The Marketing Director of Thomson Scientific said as much as this to my face after they took over the company I worked for.

Watching a vid can certainly be more entertaining than reading a book. In grammar school, we all loved it when the teacher rolled in the movie projector and we watched a movie. Today, many confuse education with entertainment.

Watch out for Blipverts.
I decided to start with a Blender book. It can be supplemented with video if desired. Almost none of the vids offer a professional transcript, so a book is a no-brainer place to start. Blender has a number of books available, but few are updated these days. Worse, Amazon no longer posts the inside view of the book as they used to. We're going down fast. Recall that Amazon started as a book seller. My Blender book will arrive Friday. Plenty of rank amateur videos are still available free. I turn the sound off when I watch them.

Edited
7 Months Ago by R Ham
Nosycat
Nosycat
Posted Yesterday
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (289 reputation)Senior Member (289 reputation)Senior Member (289 reputation)Senior Member (289 reputation)Senior Member (289 reputation)Senior Member (289 reputation)Senior Member (289 reputation)Senior Member (289 reputation)Senior Member (289 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Ham,
could be so kind to help me please, when you have a moment to spare.
I'm trying to get a dragon from Daz to iClone. I have both 7&8. When I export it as an FBX, all I get is a bone Sad 
I tried to, bake it, freeze it, do binary 11 but nothing. I use the 3d Exchange all gave the same.

How can I get the full texture and all to go over please?
thank you in advance,
Kimmy

Reading This Topic