Profile Picture

How to find the name of a texture

Posted By Peter_737068 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Peter_737068
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
This may be a silly question but I just can't figure out how to bring up the name of a texture that is being used on a material. If I hover over the texture it brings it up larger and has the file size. I can launch the texture into photoshop but it just names it numerical value. So how do find out the name of the texture that's being referenced?

Many thanks in advance,

Peter
Edited
Last Year by Peter_737068
michaelrbarton
michaelrbarton
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
You can save the highlighted textures one at a time or all in a folder. There are some icons at bottom near textures that will let you save them.
God Bless!
Peter_737068
Peter_737068
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)Senior Member (383 reputation)

Thanks for replying. I’m not sure if that’s going to help.

I’m not trying to export the texture I just want to know what their file name is.
The reason is at the moment I only have the diffuse and bump applied, which came in automatically from imported FBX. But it’s a complex model with many materials and I need to find the corresponding roughness and metallic maps for each material and the only way I can do that is by searching for their names. If I don’t know what the diffuse texture name is then it will mean trying to eyeball 100’s of textures to figure out which one matches.

Hope that makes sense?
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
There are no files or names. All texture files are embedded into the object by default when you apply them.
There is a way to enable "External Texture" in Preferences, but it would take an effect next time you apply a texture to a material and the path/name would be listed below texture maps section.
Personally I would not want that as objects/projects would become dependent on a specific paths/files and if you move/delete files/folders accidentally you may invalidate a lot of assets, specially in a long run.

Edited
Last Year by 4u2ges
Peter_737068
Peter_737068
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

That’s a shame I’ll have to figure out another way to match file names . Thanks for replying.

Reading This Topic