Profile Picture

flip character with asymmetrical hair

Posted By lars.ole Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
lars.ole
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello,

I have a character with asymmetrical hair and I want to flip the characters motion. So far he walks from right to left, but when I do the "flip hip" in the motion key editor, the hair goes with it, so it is wrong. I have a G3 360 degree head setup.

Any help or ideas?

Thanks a lot!
Steven(RL)
Steven(RL)
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)Junior Member (193 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Hi,
Do you want your character's hair still on the same side even if you flip the hip?
Steven Wu
lars.ole
lars.ole
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)New Member (97 reputation)

Well the hair has a long plait (or pigtail) which is on the characzters left side of the head and I want it to stay on the characters left side.
Is that possible?

Thanks!
arenbailey
arenbailey
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (652 reputation)Veteran Member (652 reputation)Veteran Member (652 reputation)Veteran Member (652 reputation)Veteran Member (652 reputation)Veteran Member (652 reputation)Veteran Member (652 reputation)Veteran Member (652 reputation)Veteran Member (652 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Ive raised this question previously, as my character has a patch around his eye, like a birthmark, which wouldn't make sense being flipped from the left to the right side. Ive asked this during one of the live streams and was told people wouldn't really notice.. so not much help, so I had to come up with my own solution. 

What I did was duplicate the character. Named it "Character Mirrored", then I took that character into photoshop, and pasted the left eye to the right, and the right to the left side, saved it. Ofcourse now the character looks wrong in cartoon animator, but when I click the flip option it becomes right and that patch was on the correct side. 

So that meant, I had x 3 of the same characters. x1 front facing, x1 side facing, and x1 mirrored version (for flipping) and that seemed to help my problem. I think that maybe with hair that might not be too much of a problem. 

Conclusion, make a duplicate character and flip the features in photoshop. 

Hope that helps. But yes, it would be amazing if they had a feature where you could disable flip to certain sprites. it would be such a help. Ive asked this from Reallusion a year or two ago in the Wishlist, but I didn't get many votes in support. 
Edited
Last Year by arenbaley
lars.ole
lars.ole
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Hello arenbailey,

thanks a lot for your answer!
I took the approach how you suggested, so now it works. It is of course a workaround, but at least it seems to be the best solution.
Thanks!

Reading This Topic