Workflow for animated short: CC + iClone

Posted By barca-8 Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
barca-8
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Any thoughts on this workflow for an animated short? Reasonable?

My main concern is being to manage (propagate) character changes when the character is "referenced" by multiple scenes.
An animated short will have multiple scenes.
Each scene will include characters, animations for those characters, a set/stage, and props.

The same characters will be used by (referenced by) multiple scenes. 
A character's wardrobe and animation/expressions will vary between scenes.

Each character will have its own CC project/file. The character in CC will have no clothing.

Each scene will have its own iClone project/file.

Characters will be exported from CC as .iAvatar to a "Common characters" folder.
iAvatars will be imported into each "Scene" (iClone project).
Character animations will be created for the scene within the iClone project.
Character wardrobe for the scene will be added in iClone.
iClone file will hold/persist all animations for the scene (no exporting of animation to rlMotion etc).

If a character is modified in CC (e.g., bigger head, eye color), the character must be exported (overwrite existing .iAvatar) and re-imported into iclone projects. With the target character selected in iClone when the import is performed, the character will be updated and existing animation on the character will be preserved.
The re-imported character will have to be re-clothed.

wetcircuit
wetcircuit
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
The Content Browser in both CC4 and iC8 makes this workflow *almost* seamless. 
You will need to dress the characters in CC4, there are certain mesh and conforming tools there.
barca-8
barca-8
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.3K reputation)

Thanks.
Do you know of a writeup describing how the Content Browser would be used to "sync" the character instances (references) in iClone with the changes made in CC?

Also, why would the characters need to be dressed in CC? Adding clothes in iClone seems to work just fine.
wetcircuit
wetcircuit
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)Veteran Member (538 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
There might be some tutorials on youtube, but hobby software users rarely 'write-up' a detailed workflow analysis. I'll try.

The short version is that the content browser is a shared resource between CC4 and iC8. You don't need to think about intermediate export formats to get a figure from CC4 to iC8. As I recall the Content Browser was introduced in an update to CC3 and iC7, but it feels better integrated now and they don't duplicate resources anymore. There may still be some exceptions, but there was essentially zero content management before….

I read in another of your posts you've been doing a lot of research and probably seeing some old advice that may now be obsolete. The Content Browser works now, the way RL's massive amount of content always should have. In other words, you won't find a lot of writeup analysis because it isn't over-complicated anymore, and users aren't suffering from the same degree of file bloat. (the figures i've saved to my custom 'Characters' folder are between 100-500MB each, fully dressed with 4K textures)

Final figures can be 'baked' to consolidate their texture layers and meshes – this is still a one-way process that can't be undone – but, for the most part, the things you save to the Content Browser are still editable. 

Any CC3+ figure in an iClone scene can be replaced with a few clicks, preserving the animation, lipsync, etc. That means you can block out basic animations quicker with 'dummy' figures (same rigging, provided with iClone), and swap them with generic or in-progress versions of your CC3+ generation figures for lipsync and more detailed movements, and finally swapping with the full-quality figure before the final render.

A BIG animation project will still need human management… but (with Content Browser) there is less headache and the workflow is much more forgiving. You don't need to 'sync' figures at all… They are easily swapped with the current version of your figure.

why would the characters need to be dressed in CC? Adding clothes in iClone seems to work just fine.

There are editing tools in CC that are not in iC. If prefab content works then fine..., but if you are kit-bashing and combining content (a shirt from here, some pants from there) you will need to use a mesh tool sometimes to move the vertices (tuck shirt into pants, and paint-out any mesh bits that shouldn't show…, move hair out of jacket, etc).

3D figures and 3D content are not perfect, and Reallusion tends to favor lower-poly meshes so it runs in real-time – this is un-like DAZ who tend to favor high-poly meshes for still renders…. My opinion is there is a trade-off: Low poly is great when you have the tools to 'spot edit' the meshes and fix poke-through, which CC has. Very high-poly meshes may conform better (having more vertices to conform with) but can be a huge pain to edit and fix poke-through (having too many vertices to easily 'fix').

DAZ content is high-poly and difficult for users to edit, so they add a ton of morphs (making them bigger and more complicated) and consider it a 'feature'. RL's content has fewer morphs (if any) but is generally easier to edit with CC's built-in tools. It seems like more work than just moving a slider, but in the end having the edit tools is more flexible –– editing low-poly meshes is nowhere near as complicated as sculpting from scratch, and more versatile than trying to anticipate every necessary 'fit morph'. it's a middle-ground.

HOWEVER, there will be times where it is easier to just use a morph on the figure to alter the shape of the clothing because it just fits differently than other outfits. You don't need a whole new figure, you just need a figure that can still be morphed –– making breasts smaller/flatter under clothing for instance. You don't need to be quite so strategic in your workflow, saving a nude 'base' figure to dress in iClone –– that's not going to save you any time or headache, it would just limit the available character tools, and force you to try to do detail mesh/material work in an interface designed for animation.

Again, the Content Browser massively improves this workflow. It is easier now to do these corrections in CC and then swap the figure in iC. The whole reason for a meticulous workflow (like you have sketched above) is when it's impossible to go back a few steps, make an adjustment, and continue because you have to re-export to intermediate formats (sometimes called a 'waterfall' workflow because you can't go back up the waterfall). With the new versions and the Content Browser, you can take the figures back up the waterfall, make those adjustments, then continue where you left off.

Final thoughts:

in the last 2-3yrs, Reallusion has completely re-tooled. We use to need ANOTHER software entirely just to import/export common 3D formats (3Dexchange). That was so niche and workflow UN-friendly, it made CC and iC amateur choices in the bigger world of 3D. That's not true anymore. RL ditched 3Dexchange and now CC and iC are each more featured and grown-up (and more expensive). Again, nothing is perfect but the current versions are actually useable in a production, mostly because we no longer have to struggle with a 'waterfall' workflow at each import/export step.

TL;DR the current software is more forgiving, so we can be MUCH more cavalier with the workflow now, which almost eliminates all that file-exchange headache that held RL back.
barca-8
barca-8
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you for taking the time to explain the CC<->IC workflow. That helps a lot.

I've only been playing with the CC/IC for a couple of months so it's interesting to hear the backstory on the evolution  (growing pains) of the products. 

So it sounds like I can simply save/overwrite my CC character to the Content Browser as a .ccAvatar and then hop over to iClone, pick the file in the Content Browser, and hit "apply." Simple enough. 

I'm not clear on the difference between .iAvatar and .ccAvatar.
Also not clear on why I'd need a .ccProject file once I've saved the character as .ccAvatar.

Any CC3+ figure in an iClone scene can be replaced with a few clicks, preserving the animation, lipsync, etc. That means you can block out basic animations quicker with 'dummy' figures (same rigging, provided with iClone), and swap them with generic or in-progress versions of your CC3+ generation figures for lipsync and more detailed movements, and finally swapping with the full-quality figure before the final render.

That's precisely what I'm looking for. Block things out with dummy or rough characters (first pass, proof-of-concept) and, if the concept actually "works," go back afterwards and "refine" the characters' appearance by swapping in the "Real McCoys."

My clothing needs are going to be pretty basic, so for now, I think I'll use the off-the-shelf stuff and add wardrobe in IC after I drag the character from the content browser into the IC "scene."
Otherwise, if I were to dress them in CC, I'm thinking I'd need multiple versions of each character (.ccAvatar), and keep those clothed .ccAvatar files in sync with each other (e.g., if I made a mod to the face).

Thanks again for the detailed response!
mark
mark
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.1K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
...and just to be clear when an avatar is saved any animation associated with that avatar is  NOT saved with the avatar. Animation is always saved separately as a motion file.

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

barca-8
barca-8
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Thank you.
At this point, my intent is to do all modeling in CC and keep all animation in IC projects.
i.e., No exporting / importing of animation files (e.g., rlMotion), unless it's something I expect to be useful across multiple scenes and/or shorts that can't be recreated easily, "in place", in the IC project.

Reading This Topic