Clothing on Over-sized characters

Posted By cepheistudios Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
cepheistudios
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Let me begin by saying I love Reallusion. I'm a big fan and any criticism I level at them is meant to be constructive. I'm all for making Iclone and Character Creator the best products they can be. I bought both of these products because I create comic book inspired digital humans. If you've ever seen artwork done by Jim Lee, Dale Keown, Gary Frank, Jim Balent, or J. Scott Campbell then you know what type of humans these are. In my stories they're demigods, not humans, thereby explaining they're absurd proportions. Anyway, the one GRIPE I've had is the way clothes fit on these characters. They're too tight. Real material wouldn't fit on a character like that. I'm sure anyone who creates characters with absurd proportions knows this, but for the sake of clarity, I'll present an example: 

You can see Silas is a pretty big boy. Nothing special here. It's the Herculean base model with some other morphs. And this is OKAY, but the boxers are supposed to be cloth, not spandex. And here's what he looks like in coveralls:

And I tried to use the Loose Fitting toggle to make the coveralls loose, and that didn't work. Now, this is not a shot aimed at Reallusion. The software allows for clothes to fit properly. I have a 3D clothing asset designer who makes clothes for me and her stuff fits EXACTLY the way it's supposed to. Moreover, a Daz3d vendor has begun solving this problem - at least for women with outsized proportions:
https://www.daz3d.com/sy-decrackifier-genesis-9
https://www.daz3d.com/sy-clothing-breast-helper-for-genesis-9
I could definitely benefit from these two things as I do have a model who has a tiny waistline and a large chest (and I am definitely NOT posting any snips of her here - ever). When are Content creators for Reallusion going to create a fix for this??? This a content issue, not a program issue. I know Pixtim has done some work where he the clothes made are an extension of SkinGen - and while that doesn't fix the problem (actually it makes it worse) it does eliminate all clipping (which is another major problem - but that affects 3D characters across all platforms and I don't know if there's a 'fix it' button other than knowledge and skill with the software). 

This isn't a HUGE problem but I raised it because Daz3d has found a fix and no creator in Reallusion has. Yet. I can't be the only one with this issue.
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 12:36 AM
Lots of ways to handle this - because most of what I use is Daz clothing I'll give you that approach but it will work even for stuff you buy made for RL.

For Daz, bring it in via Transformer (in CC) but DON'T tell it it is clothing - bring it in as an accessory.  Then when you change it to cloth it won't "fit" but remain loose (unless you choose "Conform" on the menu but you don't want to do this, obviously).  I guess if I had RL clothing I'd export it (from a "normal" figure) as FBX or OBJ and bring it in, again, as an accessory.

If you need it to fit in some places (for boxers perhaps around the waist) you can custom adjust the mesh before you turn it into cloth.  For the best results for some things (perhaps not boxers) you could create physics maps for it (weight maps).  You can even (if you have more patience than I do) adjust the various weight maps on the mesh, again, before you turn it into cloth, allowing it to custom fit around the waist or other areas.  In that case you could indeed then do a "conform" and it would only fit where those maps told it to do so.

I can show you examples (or even make a video tutorial) if this isn't clear.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
Last Year by Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 12:36 AM
Okay, I couldn't stand it.

(This isn't a very detailed tutorial since I didn't even touch on bringing in Daz clothing that is loose fitting, but it should suffice to get you where you want).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
cepheistudios
cepheistudios
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)Veteran Member (976 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
Super thanks. I will definitely give this tutorial a look and try it out. Hopefully others find this thread and the tutorial you made. Greatly appreciated!!!

Reading This Topic