Profile Picture

CA 5 very sluggish - unresponsive with working with my custom .png image media

Posted By kirkshoe Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!

CA 5 very sluggish - unresponsive with working with my custom .png...

Author
kirkshoe
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Just bought CA 5. Thinking of requesting refund. When I create my own media created with transparent .png images, CA5 becomes very sluggish and unresponsive when selecting, moving, positioning, resizing media. There is a 3 to 6 second delay for media to respond to each cursor action to manipulate the media. It's almost impossible to work with, Playback of animated custom media is also very sluggish and unresponsive.  Running windows 11 for Workstation, on HP Z8 G4 Workstation, 64 bit, 32 GB Ram, Intel® Xeon® Silver 4210 Processor, 10 cores, 2.2 - 3.2 GHZ, Graphics card NVIDIA Quadro P400, 2 GB memory
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.5K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 1 hour ago
Hi...

Unfortunately your computer specs are a little underpowered for Cartoon Animator 5, especially the graphics card. The Nvidia Quadro P400 dates back to 2017 and by todays standards is not able to meet the performance levels required as you have found out. 

To try and improve performance, try opening Preferences (CTRL+P) in CTA5 and under "Render" change the Viewport Resolution to the lowest 512 x 512 and see if that makes a difference. Choosing a lower resolution reduces the amount of video ram needed so it might help. If it does help, try changing to 1024 x 1024 and see how that performs. Obviously the higher the resolution you can run at will improve the visual quality.

One other thing to try is to make sure you have the latest graphics drivers installed. Outdated graphics drivers may also affect performance so it's worth checking.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

kirkshoe
kirkshoe
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Thanks Peter.  Could you recommend a good graphics card to buy, to replace my old card? 
BTW- Your suggestions helped. I found that the worse response delay happens right after I create custom media. If I save project, close CA5, restart and load the project, manipulating the custom media seems normal, without the response delay.
Edited
Last Year by kirkshoe
kirkshoe
kirkshoe
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I ordered an Nvidia Quadro P4000 Graphics card with 8 GB Ram, which will hopefully solve my problem,. Thanks again!
animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
It's a pity you already ordered the card, as Quadro cards are not the most suitable for RL products. You are better off with Nvidia series 3000 or 4000 cards.

One option is the RTX 3060 with 12 GB or the RTX 3060 TI with 8 GB. The later is has less VRAM but has more powerful processing, about double that of the P4000. I believe the price is about the same as that of the P4000.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

kirkshoe
kirkshoe
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks for the advice Animagic.  Could you please recommend the right RTX 3060 card with 12 GB, for RL products on Amazon, at the best price (with link please )?
I know almost nothing about graphics cards and when I search Amazon for RTX 3060 grapics cards, there is a wide variety by different manufacturers, at a wide range of prices, and I have no idea which to select.  Thanks..

animagic (3/23/2023)
It's a pity you already ordered the card, as Quadro cards are not the most suitable for RL products. You are better off with Nvidia series 3000 or 4000 cards.

One option is the RTX 3060 with 12 GB or the RTX 3060 TI with 8 GB. The later is has less VRAM but has more powerful processing, about double that of the P4000. I believe the price is about the same as that of the P4000.

Edited
Last Year by kirkshoe
animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (33.2K reputation)

Last Active: 13 hours ago
You give my a great responsibility...Wink

I found two that you may want to consider. Both have the advantage that they are short cards (9.3"), so they will always fit in your case. They are from reputable brands: MSI and ASUS.

The MSI is on sale and currently cheaper, but supply is limited on Amazon.

MSI is at https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-RTX-3060-12G/dp/B08WPRMVWB/ref=sr_1_2?crid=EHBQTUU2V8PT

If the MSI is no longer longer available, get ASUS at: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Graphics-DisplayPort-Axial-tech-Technology/dp/B0985X2YR1/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa.

Good luck!

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

kirkshoe
kirkshoe
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Thanks for your quick reply and taking the time to assist me, I appreciate it.  I ordered the MSI card and will return the p4000.

animagic (3/24/2023)
You give my a great responsibility...Wink
I found two that you may want to consider. Both have the advantage that they are short cards (9.3"), so they will always fit in your case. They are from reputable brands: MSI and ASUS.

The MSI is on sale and currently cheaper, but supply is limited on Amazon.
MSI is at https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GeForce-RTX-3060-12G/dp/B08WPRMVWB/ref=sr_1_2?crid=EHBQTUU2V8PT

If the MSI is no longer longer available, get ASUS at: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Graphics-DisplayPort-Axial-tech-Technology/dp/B0985X2YR1/ref=sxin_16_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa.

Good luck!

Reading This Topic