Profile Picture

Switching to a new computer, how to bring your projects over correctly?

Posted By Connorclass Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!

Switching to a new computer, how to bring your projects over...

Author
Connorclass
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Title says it all. I have a new computer, going to install cc4 and iClone and all my smart content, but what about my hard worked on projects, do I just bring over my saved project file over to new computer or is there other files needed? Like Adobe premiere you can just bring over your saved project you would need to locate all your media files etc….
animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 11 hours ago
Projects are mostly self-contained, except for video files that are used as texture, which are always by reference. Also, if you have textures that are not embedded, you may need to relink them.

In general, if you keep the same folder structure for your content as on your old PC, you should be OK.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Connorclass
Connorclass
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)Senior Member (334 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Thank you , you have been helpful. So I would just basically switch my project ssd over to new computer and that should be easy for it to figure out.
COLINMAC2
COLINMAC2
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (836 reputation)Veteran Member (836 reputation)Veteran Member (836 reputation)Veteran Member (836 reputation)Veteran Member (836 reputation)Veteran Member (836 reputation)Veteran Member (836 reputation)Veteran Member (836 reputation)Veteran Member (836 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
On this subject, since I am also moving to a new computer -- can I simply move my CC and smart content over to the new computer, or do I need to re-download, somehow?
jeffkirkland
jeffkirkland
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.4K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Personally, to avoid any licensing issues. I’d use the hub to uninstall the apps and default content from your original computer and then use the hub to reinstall on the new computer. You custom content can just be dragged across to whatever folder you define on the new machine. 

Jeff Kirkland | Director • Cinematographer • Storyteller
Hobart • Tasmania • www.one18films.com
SYSTEM: AMD Ryzen 5 5500 | 32gb RAM | RTX 3060 12gb | 1tb SSD System | 6tb HDD Storage
yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
I always advise you to insert the 2nd or 3rd disk into your computer and use these disks for content. So all you have to do is remove the disk and insert it into the new computer. If it is not available, I can recommend you to set up your new system in this way. In this way, you will be able to continue using it just by setting the library location.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/yepkoo
https://dev.epicgames.com/community/profile/bxvo/Yepkoo#learning

Reading This Topic