Profile Picture

Does the standard license allow me to use iMotion files in other programs?

Posted By Kelleytoons Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!

Does the standard license allow me to use iMotion files in other...

Author
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
My heading pretty well explains it but let me elaborate - I use Anima 3 in order to generate crowd scenes for iClone (much less resources in iClone as well as collision auto collision avoidance, etc.) and I note the "Run for your life" pack has some pretty nice running scenes for mass characters.  But, again, to avoid having them run into each other as well as easily generating dozens (or more) of characters running in my scene I'd rather use Anima and if I could export the FBX of the iMotion files to Anima I'd be fine.

I've done this in the past but, honestly, I don't quite understand the new licenses and things have changed so - since the only license offered is "standard" will this prevent me from exporting the FBX to Anima 3? (Otherwise I'll probably pass on buying it).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
My understanding is that as long as you are not creating and publishing a game, you are free to use anything you can export. Using it in Anima is not different from using it in Blender.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Okay, but I guess the operative words are "can export".  Because in the past I've owned a lot of stuff that couldn't be exported.

Are we saying the rules are different now?  I could look at some older motions I've bought, but I can't remember what the license was when I bought them (and some of them did NOT let me export them to use in Anima).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
michaelrbarton
michaelrbarton
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
According to the License notes, you should be able to use motions.https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fc00147b-305b-4d76-aaa6-0751.jpghttps://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/8d977874-4243-43a6-b2b0-9711.jpg
animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
In the license confusion RL has created by changing the names and conditions at the same or different times, it is true that older motions (or other items) could not be exported unless you had an Export license, which is now called a Standard license.

Unfortunately, some legacy content can not be upgraded to Standard, because it is no longer sold, so you're stuck. A somewhat lame reason, but there you have it.

I still believe it would have been possible for RL to be generous and make ALL legacy content exportable (at least the RL stuff), but no chance for that.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

michaelrbarton
michaelrbarton
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.9K reputation)

Last Active: 5 days ago
Anything before IC6 had no Character Creator. So maybe that is why the legacy stuff has not been upgraded.
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

You definitely won't have issues exporting motions from this pack...
The new "standard" license allows export to third party apps.
Even selling a game with those motions is allowed...
RL only has strict rules on CC content.

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Okay, thanks guys for all the help.  I'm confident enough now to buy the pack.

Yeah - in the past I was REALLY disappointed not to be able to use some of those motions in Anima - ironic because ALL I ever use Anima for is iClone.  So I wanted to use those motions in Anima to import BACK into iClone.  I was really surprised when that didn't work.

Because of my upcoming surgery I may not get the time to do much of this but I'll go ahead and buy the pack now with confidence that when I recover I'll be able to use it <g>.

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley

Reading This Topic