Profile Picture

Best practice for storing content

Posted By trothman Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
trothman
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)Junior Member (236 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi,

Is there a best practice for whether we should store the content we download from smart gallery on the C drive, or should I put these files on a different drive that is different from where IC and CC are installed?  I know that for example with video editing projects (Adobe Premiere for instance) it is recommended to keep the projects and content on a separate drive from the program location and to render out your results on a separate drive from these 2 (so a third drive for rendering).  Does this help here with Reallusion products to do something like this?

Also, is it best to store my downloaded content on an SSD drive?  Will this improve performance when working with the programs?  Any articles that deep dive into the best set up for best performance?

Thank you for your advice!

animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I always have content stored on a separate drive. One reason is that if the drive gets too small it easy to replace it with a larger one.

With content space requirements getting more intense (I think my total RL content is over 1GB), it certainly makes sense to use a separate, large drive. 

There are no benchmarks as to the difference in load times, but since project files can now also be over one GB, an SSD may help. Others may have a more definite answer.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

kaptaind
kaptaind
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)Junior Member (237 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hi animagic, and all.  I currently have my full and large CC4 and IC8 content library stored on my C:drive, and now that drive is dangerously low on space.  I would like to move the whole content library to my more spacious D drive.  I looked in the online manuals for guidance on how to specify the content library location so that CC4 and IC8 can find it after I move it, but I didn't find that info.  Can someone tell me how to relcoate the content library safely and successfully?

Cheers,

Reading This Topic