Lessons in character design

Posted By Paumanok West 14 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dreamcube017
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
I'm still fumbling around with cell shaded looking characters.  I think the problems I keep running into are manually drawing some of the shadows because I think I keep getting them wrong.

I'll keep trying though and thanks for the tip.

EDIT: Hey I like those. Nice work PW.

I just remembered that I could use Scupltris to paint on the character mesh because I just got 3DX4 YAY!!!! So this should make things a LITTLE easier since I can NOW PAINT on the mesh. AND sculpt on it... MAN this makes me so happy.

The problem was always that I had to guess at painting on the UV map and that slowed thigns down because I had to go back and forth and back and forth and guess and it just got upsetting, but now I think I'll give it another shot.

Thanks for the help.

----------------------------------------------------
***BEST OF THE CORE**
:A music reel demonstrating the different types of music I produce for multimedia. Hope everyone enjoys.

Player not working? Use this link.

My other audio work.

Facebook page:

Creation begins at the core.

Edited
14 Years Ago by Dreamcube017
rontarrant
rontarrant
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.1K reputation)

Last Active: 9 Years Ago
Paumanok West (7/23/2010)
Several people have asked me about tooning iClone, so I wrote the tutorial above.

The only thing new to add is that my latest character designs include lots of color gradients, and I have found it worthwhile to create my avatar textures in Adobe Illustrator.

The reason I am writing now is to ask: is anybody actually using my methods?

I'm really interested in how you got that flat look. Are these images rendered in iClone?

- Ron T.

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 Years Ago
Yes, 100%.

General Picture - animating now to life itself(tm)
Member of Content Wizards
Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (11.0K reputation)

I purchased the Flowing Skirt V2 pack but I haven't gotten very good results with attempts to customize cloth from it. I have also investigated the superhero cape, but it gives very poor results.

I actually get better results from the Flowing Hair ponytail that comes supplied with the Trinity avatar, after using opacity to zero out the extra locks of hair. The following demo shows Walt's cloak and AuraLee's hoop skirt animated using copies of the ponytail. Not really a scene from my film, but it's suggestive.

PS If anyone wants the opacity map to try building their own flowing clothing, let me know.

Edited
14 Years Ago by Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

sw00000p (11/26/2010)
Ever notice the Hands going throught the Coat and Dress? I know its a Test. Good Job.

Yep. I would like to just go with footage like this and make a demo reel, but I'm going to have to slow down and really work to get it right.

I think it will require rendering the movie more than once and compositing versions without the clothing. Lots of work! Crying

Capemedia
Capemedia
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Film and Music Producer

Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)Film and Music Producer (3.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Paumaonk very impressive stuff Smile

Score Variations

Capemedia UK Limited's Website

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Here's your welcoming party: "let us prey, Amen."

Left to right: Finnigan, Cardinal Ratsinger, Rev. Red Phillips, lovely and talented Chastity Phillips (daughter, NOT wife!).

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I finally turned the home page of my website into a showcase for my character designs at

generalpicture.com

You might be interested to see how to host a limitless number of turnarounds right next to each other using CSS float.

Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

This is the new state of the art in cel shading for iClone 4: good toon shadows at last. Still no ink outlines, but I still feel I can live without them.

The streamlined body is based upon Mr Pose/Mr Slim (muscles by ZBrush!).

Currently I am using two render passes, as shown in the attached picture. The motion is performed twice. The first avatar is textured with a grey reflective material that picks up sharp shadows, as well as a sharp specular line, from the IBL. The second avatar is textured with pure matte colors.

The animations are composited in Premiere.

Attachments
iclone4celshade.png (121 views, 87.00 KB)
Paumanok West
Paumanok West
Posted 14 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Watch the video in HD at Youtube if you want a ghost of a chance of video quality. Sad

Reading This Topic