Shoulders on g3 characters

Posted By arenbailey Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
arenbailey
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi everyone.

Can someone advise the best shape to draw for body and shoulders on a custom g3 front facing character? Usually on a side facing a sausage shape arm looks fine, but on a front facing the same arms look like sausages that will fall of a body, when for example lifted. Is it possible to create a mask layer for arms similar to what we have in the eyes layers, for example if I was to hide arms behind him image rather than over them, or keep them over the hip image but mask it so it looks like it’s part of the body. Reason I am asking is because my had acted has lines compared to many artist who don’t use any what so ever.
General Picture Animation
General Picture Animation
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.9K reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
I recall being unhappy with the appearance of arms lifted away from the body, but you should post a screenshot of your issue, preferably marked up with notes.

Animating now to life itself --Walt Whitman 
etourist
etourist
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
I don't know if this will be of any use to you but if you download my free business man character from the marketplace, it is a front facing character with outlines. If you look at how I did the shoulders it may give you some idea of how to approach this on your own characters. It basically involves leaving gaps between your outlines on the different sprites, and using tapered lines to try and make the joins look less obvious.

- TET
Animation and Video Life
The Lazy Animator - Tutorials for Cartoon Animator
arenbailey
arenbailey
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)Veteran Member (644 reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Hi etourist, thank you . I think this might help. I might be able to dissect this character in photoshop and have a look. I was considering getting rid of lines all together, but then reconsidered as my whole style was built around outlines. I’ve never actually attempted a mask before, but curious as well whether it would work on an actual arm sprite.

etourist
etourist
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

Last Active: 4 days ago
Hopefully it helps. If you look at some of my other characters in my store they also have outlines. I just suggested the Business man because it's free. I generally don't use any masks on the joins it's more a case of strategic breaks in the linework that works with the range of each joints movement.

- TET
Animation and Video Life
The Lazy Animator - Tutorials for Cartoon Animator

Reading This Topic