Profile Picture

Should I use Zbrush, Substance 3d or 3D-Coat?

Posted By Krispin Rocks Last Year
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Krispin Rocks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year

Should I use Zbrush, Substance 3d or 3D-Coat? I am notlooking at sculpting models from scratch. I need to make changes to 3d models downloaded from say Sketchfab, then paint and import to Character Creator 4. Ihave had a play with ZBrush but it is not intuitive due to its very non-standard interface etc. I can see it being a long learning curve. IsSubstance 3d or 3d-Coat easier to learn / use and would either be suitable for what I am trying to do?

animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Since Adobe took over Substance 3D it is now a very expensive subscription, so I think 3D Coat is your best option. I've read good things about it on this forum. Hopefully some users can chime in.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

mark
mark
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)

Doesn't one lose a lot of the features of CC when using a non-CC-mesh avatar?

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

animagic
animagic
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

mark (1/1/2023)
Doesn't one lose a lot of the features of CC when using a non-CC-mesh avatar?

That is correct, especially as far as clothing is concerned. Animations will still work, but lip-synching may not.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Edited
Last Year by animagic
Krispin Rocks
Krispin Rocks
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)Senior Member (300 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hi - thank you for your advice. I will get a trial of 3d-Coat and see if this works for me.

What I am working on is not based on a CC avatar. It is a 3d model of Audrey II (from Little Shop of Horrors) that is actually intended for 3d printing but I need to animate it. I have added a body (hidden in the tin) so I can use AccuRIG to rig the neck / stem and head. AccuRIG doesn’t appear to work with the face bones, and this has to all be setup manually. So, if 3d-coat does not maintain things like lip-syncing I guess this does not affect me if I do the painting prior to the rigging.

I had a look at the Adobe subscription and yes, it is expensive. I have other Adobe suites and was hoping this would make Substance 3d cheaper to add-on but sadly not. I am a hobbyist so cannot justify the cost.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7f6329c2-a971-41a9-9d08-35cc.jpg
Sophus
Sophus
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)Veteran Member (686 reputation)

You can get all Substance programs on Steam with a perpetual license without a subscription. But the new Substance modeller has many missing features compared to Zbrush and 3D Coat and a lot of bugs. That's why it focuses more on VR modelling.
It will probably take another five years at least until it comes somewhat close if Adobe doesn't kill it first which may happen.

I'm not sure if a sculpting app is the right choice to modify 3d models. They are usually optimized to create extremely high poly models and to texture and retopologize them to low poly models to be useable in real-time applications.

Since you already have a finished model that you want to modify, I personally think that Blender would be a much better choice for your case. 
bad_character
bad_character
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)Senior Member (466 reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
I have ZBrush and a Steam copy of Substance.

I find ZBrush the most useful (Confusingly, I mean that in that it’s the most narrowly useful for some of my favorite use cases - Blender is the most useful as a general statement), and useful for some texture related things, but it would never be my go to for texturing. I’m happy to have Substance available, but it doesn’t come with the materials you get along with a subscription, you have to kind of build that out on your own. And I like having it available. But I end up using Blender way more often. Blender the most out of all of them. Even though ZBrush is my fav. I was just lucky enough to buy it right after they were bought by Maxxon and ended their non promised decade or two of free perpetual updates. Heck, ended their promised one year as well for good measure. Have to love these big companies. Wonderful things. I’m not even Indie, I’m hobby. Put the screws to me. Please.

Where was I? Oh yeah, love ZBrush. Like having Substance available. Can’t say I don’t end up in Blender 90% of the time.
Edited
Last Year by bad_character

Reading This Topic