How much to charge for your work?

Posted By jeff.davies 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I have an opportunity to sell an animated short to a technology company. The problem is I have no idea what to ask for it. It's taken me weeks to get it together (still in work actually). I'd like to be able to give some cash to my voice actor for his time and trouble in addition for being compensated for my time.

So is there any guidance on charging a client? If you are approached to do a 30 second spot for TV using all 3D actors and sets and it takes you 2 weeks full time to get it done, what's a reasonable price?

How about if you are adding VFX to a live action video you shot for a local restaurant or other buisness? Is the pricing different than if it was for a regional chain company?

Ultimately I'd like to make a living doing this, so I don't want to give things away, but I don't want to ask for outrageous amounts of money (in the client's eyes).

I'm looking for opinions here, especially from professional artists. TIA!

- Jeff
The Adventures of Capt Sanchez
Cybernautic Studios
toystorylab
toystorylab
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.7K reputation)

Last Active: Today @ 4:26 AM
Yeah, that is sometimes a hard question...
You have to consider several things and the last one is considering whether this could be too expensive.
You have your amount of work, your hardware/software, your electricity bill and maybe even rent for studio.
You also have to be fair to yourself whether your work can be done faster by "real" professionals.
Either you offer a fixed price, a rate per second/minute animation or an hourly rate...

"The average cost for 60-seconds of animation is about $7,972 according to recent research,
but that price is not typical for most styles of business animated video.
The large average is the result of expensive types of animation including stop motion
and 3D animation which are frequently used for full-feature films which drive the average up.
Most studios will produce 1 minute of animation for between about $2,500 and $10,000.
Some can achieve basic animation for $1,000 per minute and in situations such as Pixar films,
you can expect animation to cost upwards of $100,000 per finished minute.
As you can see, the industry has so many possibilities
that determining the average cost of 1 minute animation can certainly be challenging."

Surely we can not compare our work with a big animation studio but don't sell your work for peanuts!
I set my rate at the moment at 40,- € per hour as I also have to pay rent for my studio:

This is surely not a dream rate, but I can live with it. (Still have a 20 hour daily rut job week at a basic school)

So, regarding 30 seconds TV spot, set your hourly rate, multiply with amount of hours and divide by 30 (price per sec) or double (price per min.).
See what numbers come out. Consider whether you and your work are worth it!

Regarding "how about if you are adding VFX to a live action video you shot for a local restaurant or other business?
Is the pricing different than if it was for a regional chain company?"

If you set an hourly rate, I would say no.
Though this is a moment where considering going higher because of chain company might work.
Sometimes you might even get your dream rate. Or not, and don't get the job...

But I think the first steps are doing animations (what you love to do) for money at all!
With some luck, you get more and more and you can raise your rate...

Yeah, hard decisions... BigGrin

Toystorylab on Vimeo : https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/ce44ea78-6984-47d8-9bf4-b783.png    Crassitudes (my "Alter Ego") on Youtube: https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fcc4df30-b3a8-40a5-a427-0735.png

Edited
2 Years Ago by toystorylab
Sophus
Sophus
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (685 reputation)Veteran Member (685 reputation)Veteran Member (685 reputation)Veteran Member (685 reputation)Veteran Member (685 reputation)Veteran Member (685 reputation)Veteran Member (685 reputation)Veteran Member (685 reputation)Veteran Member (685 reputation)

Last Active: 7 minutes ago
Ask them for their budget, then you know what they want to pay.
3dSphinx
3dSphinx
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
toystorylab (10/28/2022)
Yeah, that is sometimes a hard question...
You have to consider several things and the last one is considering whether this could be too expensive.
You have your amount of work, your hardware/software, your electricity bill and maybe even rent for studio.
You also have to be fair to yourself whether your work can be done faster by "real" professionals.
Either you offer a fixed price, a rate per second/minute animation or an hourly rate...

"The average cost for 60-seconds of animation is about $7,972 according to recent research,
but that price is not typical for most styles of business animated video.
The large average is the result of expensive types of animation including stop motion
and 3D animation which are frequently used for full-feature films which drive the average up.
Most studios will produce 1 minute of animation for between about $2,500 and $10,000.
Some can achieve basic animation for $1,000 per minute and in situations such as Pixar films,
you can expect animation to cost upwards of $100,000 per finished minute.
As you can see, the industry has so many possibilities
that determining the average cost of 1 minute animation can certainly be challenging."

Surely we can not compare our work with a big animation studio but don't sell your work for peanuts!
I set my rate at the moment at 40,- € per hour as I also have to pay rent for my studio:

This is surely not a dream rate, but I can live with it. (Still have a 20 hour daily rut job week at a basic school)

So, regarding 30 seconds TV spot, set your hourly rate, multiply with amount of hours and divide by 30 (price per sec) or double (price per min.).
See what numbers come out. Consider whether you and your work are worth it!

Regarding "how about if you are adding VFX to a live action video you shot for a local restaurant or other business?
Is the pricing different than if it was for a regional chain company?"

If you set an hourly rate, I would say no.
Though this is a moment where considering going higher because of chain company might work.
Sometimes you might even get your dream rate. Or not, and don't get the job...

But I think the first steps are doing animations (what you love to do) for money at all!
With some luck, you get more and more and you can raise your rate...

Yeah, hard decisions... BigGrin

To your setup 😲 is all I can say. And amazing work.

digitalworlddreamer
digitalworlddreamer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
$600 per 15 seconds as far as voiceover use AI it will be cheaper
digitalworlddreamer
digitalworlddreamer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)New Member (53 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Months Ago
Hey I got to the end of your post and I realize that you were talking about making a living at this using iclone. I know it’s doable it’s just a matter of advertising. I’m personally looking for people that have the same aspiration if you’re interested please contact me and I’ll give you my information.

jeff.davies
jeff.davies
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.3K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thanks for your eloquent and detailed response Toystorylab! I really appreciate it.

- Jeff
The Adventures of Capt Sanchez
Cybernautic Studios

Reading This Topic