Using Reach Targets and underlying animation

Posted By Dutchottie 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Dutchottie
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)Veteran Member (552 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
Picture a character sitting on a chair at a table.
I apply a simple idle animation (arms to the side) to the character and disable the lower body so it sits still. The idle is nothing intense. Just a little upper body sway and head look around.
Then I want to add a motion on top of this idle. I want the character to place its right elbow on the table and rest its chin on its hand.
My approach was to 1) animate the arm from the side to the elbow-on-table position and move torso forward and head so the chin is on the hand. 2) use Reach Target on the elbow to stick it to the table (doing some translation adjustments). 3) after say 120 frames, release the Reach Target and animate back to the arms at the side.
However, the underlying animation keeps moving the elbow (side-to-side and up-down). Nothing huge, but it should remain perfectly still.

So is it possible what I do? Using an existing motion and doing something like this?
If so, how to keep that elbow fixed?
If not, what would be the smartest solution to an animation like this?

Cheers!

Marco

gordryd
gordryd
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Last Active: 12 minutes ago
Maybe try reversing the order...create your elbow-on-table animation first, then add the "idle" motion using Motion Puppet, masking out the lower body AND the elbow arm movement.

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

raavikantchouhan
raavikantchouhan
Posted Last Year
View Quick Profile

New Member (89 reputation)New Member (89 reputation)New Member (89 reputation)New Member (89 reputation)New Member (89 reputation)New Member (89 reputation)New Member (89 reputation)New Member (89 reputation)New Member (89 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I also want solution to this.

Reading This Topic