Fun with Soft Cloth Trampoline

Posted By 4u2ges 2 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 hours ago
An early soft cloth trampoline concept. Some tweaking and optimization is up ahead.
Will share it later on...

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Here is a final version (for now) of the demo Trampoline project:

https://marketplace.reallusion.com/trampoline-concept_399352

It comes almost the same as in a video posted originally - a female character (in high heels TongueHehe) is making a few jumps with trampoline animation baked and Soft Cloth disabled.
When you need to make your own animation, enable Soft Cloth in Project settings, Remove Vertex Animation for TRAMPOLINE soft cloth prop and animate characters/objects accordingly.

Animating Characters and objects

Characters must have 16 (or less) collision shapes enabled covering entire body as following:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/890f49e2-7b1c-40ee-91e6-f73e.jpg

Notes:
1. Do not enable more than 16 collision shapes per character.
2. Notice how collision shapes for the feet are formed and positioned. If you do not have them as large as shown they might go through the net at the run-time.
You may save current collision shapes from a demo lady character and apply to other CC3/art-core characters. Collision shapes tweaking for particularly shaped characters would still require.
3. Try not to have the hands come in contact with the trampoline net. Specially the end of hands collision shapes capsule which is quite narrow and might go through the net.

If you would like to animate other objects jumping off of trampoline, you have to enable Kinematic Rigid Body Physix type for them and use Sphere or Capsule for bounding.

To animate, you need to give some time for Trampoline to settle and then begin animation driving character/object right through the net.
Then when you play in By Frame mode, trampoline net would bend down and restore the original shape when you move objects up.

Try to stay withing reasonable objects movement without going too much down. Otherwise object might go through the net or get tangled inside of it.
If animating objects, they should not be too small.

Bottom line is - Experiment with object sizes, animation speed/distance/smoothness, collision shapes bounding types and shape, Trampoline physics settings until you get natural bouncing.

NOTE: If you hit play and the trampoline is getting detached from locks and behaves erratically, just stop and play again.

How it operates

Trampoline physics settings allow to restore the original net shape in the most natural way possible. You may try to play with settings to make the net and straps "softer" or "harder".
The physics map for the entire Trampoline soft cloth object is purely white. Attempting to darken it would most likely result is erratic behavior or objects going through the net at run-time.
Note: Gravity in the Trampoline Soft Cloth physics is disabled. This allows to restore the original shape of the Trampoline when collision shapes "pressure" is removed.

Straps and net bounding ring are structured in the same manner as Flex Rope (see this rope concept: https://forum.reallusion.com/443792/CableRope-from-Start-to-Finish-Tutorial )
Each one of 8 strap ends is locked in space with 2 collision shapes: Sphere and Capsule (they are invisible by default):
A yellow sphere locks the strap in place and a blue capsule does not allow vertical movements relative to the metal stand while net is bouncing.
To make the Trampoline soft cloth structure more tense, the Locks are moved out at the first 40 frames.

This is how Trampoline tension is created and how further 2 locks keep the strap ends in place.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6f1096cf-fcdb-4a3f-a0b4-4796.gif

Metal Stands are independent from Trampoline, you may replace them with another props you have or made without affecting the Trampoline behavior.

Good Luck with bouncing Smile

P.S. I am still playing with it trying various shapes for the locks and see if I could eliminate locks completely and use physics weight map exclusively.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
wires
wires
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 15 hours ago
And yet another super asset from the master.CoolSmooooth Thank you Gurgen.Smile

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

mark
mark
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.2K reputation)

BRILLIANT...as usual!!1BigGrin

PROMO-BACK2
Click here to go to my YouTube Channel filled with iClone Tutes and Silly Stuff

Visit ANIMATED PROJECTIONS Powered by iCLONE

Intel Core i7 3960X @ 3300MHz Overclocked to 4999.7 MHz Sandy Bridge 24.0GB DDR3 @ 833MHz Graphic Display HP ZR30w 
GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1 ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P9X79 WS (LGA2011)

4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Appreciate it guys!
I sure hope someone would find it useful and would have fun with it Smile

BTW, I gave up on the idea to make it purely weight map based. I mean it works and it is easier to maintain....
But that initial "tension" I could create with Locks is priceless. It acts a lot more natural that way.

Project was slightly updated: https://drive.google.com/file/d/192-wEHLnJ3rTuBaXyho3v_gst9j-EXPz/view?usp=sharing

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

Last Active: 9 hours ago
Mr G, thanks a lot for your helps and your generousity, long life to you

zavorfang
zavorfang
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
There is a lot to take in as a novice 3d artist/animator.
This(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6FPpoxXl6U) has actually been on my todo list to learn to recreate as part of my learning process.
And this(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5qoR7fbGgY) is top on my todo list: to animate tumbling sequence...
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

@charly Rama Thank you my friend Smile

@zavorfang That is an amazing sport. Hope you can recreate some of it with this project. Good Luck!

zavorfang
zavorfang
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)New Member (50 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Thanks... I know this is unrelated, but do you have any idea how to import animations done in blender(rigify) to iclone. I would like to be able to move animations back and forth between softwares.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

zavorfang (7/29/2022)
Thanks... I know this is unrelated, but do you have any idea how to import animations done in blender(rigify) to iclone. I would like to be able to move animations back and forth between softwares.

It should not be hard. I've had some problems importing BVH motions into CC4.00, but we are now in CC4.02. Hopefully they made some fixes. I have not tried since.
FBX motion import is preferred though. You just have to export particular armature character in T-pose to FBX. Then import to CC as motion. Assign bones and save profile.
Then import any other motions for the same armature, apply saved profile and you are done.
Check this out: https://manual.reallusion.com/Character-Creator-4/Content/ENU/4.0/09-Pipeline/Converting_a_Human_Motion_to_iClone_iMotion.htm
Might be a lot of trial and error for bones assignment in case of "complex" armature.

Reading This Topic