Can Someone Please Explain These Plug-ins to Me

Posted By Deborah Hearne 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Deborah Hearne
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Can someone please explain the different iClone plugins to me in plain English?
  • Ominiverse
  • Popcorn FX
  • Iray
I just want to know the basics.
  • What do they do?
  • Do I need to buy them? I am planning to use iClone to create explainer videos.

Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 2 hours ago
1) Omniverse is an NVidia "world" of rendering and creation that requires a high end NVidia card to use.  The plugin in iClone will allow you to move items/scenes from iClone into that world.  But not without a TON of difficulties.  I would NOT recommend any but the very experienced to go there (I tried and failed miserably and I'm kind of an expert in most things :>Wink.

2) Popcorn FX is a particle system - particles are used for things like water, fireworks, sparks, fog, etc.  They provide a lot of atmosphere and if you need them there really isn't any substitute.  If you don't, you don't (and you will know if you need them - if you are trying to do something that requires particles).

3) iRay is another rendering system.  iClone itself has a native render, but iRay is just another way of rendering that some folks love, some hate.  You wouldn't need it.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
I have played with Omniverse for about 6 months or more now, and I love it, although it is a work in progress.

I find some things to be harder, but others to be way better.

A few tips I learned / things I like about it
1. Export CC characters in real time. The eyes don't make it to path traced last time I checked.
2. Movement is the same as IClone - W = move, E = rotate and R = scale. Difference is to duplicate you select a prop and hit Control + D for Omniverse versus hold down the W key when moving in IClone.
3. Things like materials can be animated, so you can give a swimming pool or river / lake a bit of movement
4. All the free NVidia assets and demo scenes.
5. Sketch Fab assets are not as nice as Nvidia's, but free is my favorite price so you can pull in a lot of assets.

Do you need it? no. Are there cool extensions? Yes.

Here is 1 I was able to figure out. If I can do it, anyone can.

I wish IClone has something like Blast. 

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

Edited
2 Years Ago by Data Juggler
Deborah Hearne
Deborah Hearne
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)Veteran Member (964 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Data Juggler (7/10/2022)
I have played with Omniverse for about 6 months or more now, and I love it, although it is a work in progress.

I find some things to be harder, but others to be way better.

A few tips I learned / things I like about it
1. Export CC characters in real time. The eyes don't make it to path traced last time I checked.
2. Movement is the same as IClone - W = move, E = rotate and R = scale. Difference is to duplicate you select a prop and hit Control + D for Omniverse versus hold down the W key when moving in IClone.
3. Things like materials can be animated, so you can give a swimming pool or river / lake a bit of movement
4. All the free NVidia assets and demo scenes.
5. Sketch Fab assets are not as nice as Nvidia's, but free is my favorite price so you can pull in a lot of assets.

Do you need it? no. Are there cool extensions? Yes.

Here is 1 I was able to figure out. If I can do it, anyone can.

I wish IClone has something like Blast. 

I have a Nvidia graphics card but it is not a high-end graphics card. It is an RTX 3050 Ti. I don't think I am able to use Omniverse.
Data Juggler
Data Juggler
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.5K reputation)

Last Active: 36 minutes ago
I believe it just has to be RTX. It might be slower, but it should still work.

Creator of the free website:
PixelDatabase.Net
A Free Online Text Based Image Editor
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/6e6663e2-0ecf-447a-ab3d-d49d.png

animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
If you want to do explainer videos then I would suggest to just use iClone and CC in the beginning. To master these will already keep you quite busy before adding the complications of other programs or plugins.

I render my movies in iClone and the quality is good enough for my purpose.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Reading This Topic