Profile Picture

iClone V8.01 - FBX to Unreal looses expression info.

Posted By MTMorrow_ 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hi, I've done a ton of FBX outputs from iClone 7 to Unreal engine but this seems to be consistent issue with iClone 8.

I'm using accu-lips to generate a synced animation and then using the face key to create some expressions with my character.
I'm using the CC4 Extended facial profile.
The animation looks great in iClone but when I import it into Unreal Engine 5 it seems the animation has lost the expression information. Lip sync info seems to be there.
I have CC auto set up plugin installed correctly in UE 5 and I am following the recommended FBX import procedures recommended by Reallusion.

Is this a known bug, or did I miss some new method to export FBX animations with IC8? 
I do not see any new FBX export recommendations in the iClone 8 manual.

All help is most appreciated,
Thanks!
MTM

c68
c68
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)Veteran Member (633 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Are you exporting directly from IC8, or do you export using CC4?
When I export an animation (accu lips + gestures) using CC4 I get everything into UE as expected... lip movement and gestures ... both OK.
MTMorrow_
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)Senior Member (295 reputation)

Thanks c68
Great to hear you are having no issues with FBX animations from IC8 to Unreal engine.
I have tried every approach.
Exported FBX with animation from IC8 and imported into UE 5 using recommended settings. Lip sync stayed but expression data was lost.
Send FBX from CC4 to UE5 and import with Reallusion Recommended settings, and then export animation FBX from IC8 and import the animation FBX in UE5 and assign the animation to my character imported from CC4. Same thing, Lip sync stayed but expression data was lost.
Then I imported it to UE 5 Using the Unreal Live Link "Transfer" option and then used the Movie Take Recorder to record the animation via "Live link"
This seemed to work, I have lipsync and facial expression animation. But now I need to figure out best practices using the Movie take recorder option in UE5.
If you know of any video tutorials on this and specifically a "best practices" guide for an IC 8 to Unreal animation work flow it would be greatly appreciated.
The IC8 manual is not helpful and many of the Reallusion videos are outdated. 
All help and advice are appreciated. Smile

KGD
KGD
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (134 reputation)Junior Member (134 reputation)Junior Member (134 reputation)Junior Member (134 reputation)Junior Member (134 reputation)Junior Member (134 reputation)Junior Member (134 reputation)Junior Member (134 reputation)Junior Member (134 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Months Ago
This is one link I found. He actually has a great series on this.

https://youtu.be/yjJldjrzqww

Hope it helps!

Razer Blade Advanced:Windows® 10 Home (64-bit) / 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-10875H processor, 8 Cores / 16 Threads, 2.3 GHz / 5.1 GHz (Base / Max Turbo), 16 MB Cache / NVIDIA® GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER™ Max-Q / RAM 64GB Dual-Channel (32GB x 2) DDR4 / 1TB SSD (M.2 NVMe)
xzevlin
xzevlin
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)Senior Member (487 reputation)

Last Active: 7 days ago
I'm seeing the same thing.  My character's mouth is flapping but doesn't seem as precise as what's in iClone, and he has no facial expressions, from iClone 8 into UE5.  The body movement is fine, just the face is not working.
MTMorrow_
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi xzevlin,
I have found for talking animation that using the live link tools works better than exporting and importing FBX files from iClone to Unreal 5.
There are a few tutorials on this, but I have not found an updated iClone 8 to Unreal 5 tutorial / best practices. 
It looks like Unreal Engine 5 is phasing out the Sequence Recorder in favour of the Take Recorder and all of the tutorials I've found use the sequence recorder.
I'm doing a bunch of tests today, with the workflow today, so if you like I can let you know what I find.

MTMorrow_
MTMorrow_
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks KGD,
Yes, those are good tutorials for sure. 
They do reference the use of the Unreal Engine's Sequence recorder, but UE 5 is phasing out the sequence recorder in favour of the Take Recorder, so I was hoping to find something that is a bit more up-to-date.
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday

Reading This Topic