Profile Picture

Upgrading Auto_Setup in UE5 -- DeleteCC_Shaders folder: Seriously?

Posted By kelbyvp 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Upgrading Auto_Setup in UE5 -- DeleteCC_Shaders folder: Seriously?

Author
kelbyvp
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
I am either doing this wrong or something is very troubling.

First:  My game has HUNDREDS of meshes that I created in CC3 and then imported into my Unreal game.  So anything that requires me to do a "for each character..." thing is not workable.  I hope that's not required.

Second, the instructions for upgrading Auto-Setup tell me to "Delete very CC Characters which has "CC_Auto_Setup_Material_Instances" folder created by Character Creator & iClone Auto Setup."  I don't see any such folder.  (I never imported meshes from iClone, just from CC3.)  But I can't rule out the possibility that maybe there was such a folder at one point but then I reorganized materials into other folders and deleted the one named CC_Auto_Setup_Material_Instances.  How can I tell whether I'm supposed to delete a character if perhaps that folder no longer exists?

Third, with respect to deleting characters:  HELL NO.  Like I say, I have HUNDREDS of meshes.  These meshes are referenced in numerous data tables, data assets, and other places because I have a modular character system that allows me to change a character's armor, etc., so there are many references.  Deleting these meshes, re-importing them, and then trying to re-trace where each mesh was referenced so I can replace it with a new reference is not workable.  Please, we need an upgrade path that does not require us to re-do a huge amount of work.

Fourth, the instructions say to "Delete the "CC_Shaders" folder under Project > Content."  But when I try to do that, Unreal points out that I'm about to delete assets that are referenced in various materials instances.  (Lots of them.)  Am I supposed to delete all these material instances?  Or maybe replace the references to the shaders with null ptrs?  If I do that, am I going to have to come back later and replace all those references with the new shaders?  Again, this is a large volume of assets and references, and deleting/re-creating all those references is really not a practical solution.

Can someone please provide a WORKABLE way to upgrade Auto-Setup in a significant project that has hundreds of existing meshes and references to those meshes?  Deleting everything and then re-doing it all is not realistic.
Edited
2 Years Ago by kelbyvp
TonyDPrime
TonyDPrime
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (12.7K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
There probably is a workaround, but this is just a quick cursory look at what you are experiencing.  It falls within the real of "best practices" and I have seen this before, where you are better off not updating parts of the paradigm while in production mid-project. 
It throws folder naming conventions off making things not usable....Better to start fresh on a new project with the updated parts.
I see this as an Unreal limitation, similar to an Apple limitation.  When you update iOS and apps midway through a project, it can screw things up unfortunately.
kelbyvp
kelbyvp
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)Senior Member (435 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Thanks, Tony.  Perhaps the best approach would be for me to import new characters into a new project, and then migrate the character from that project to my game?

I totally get not upgrading software mid-stream, but as a solo dev making a pretty big game that has already taken several years, I run into problems if I don't keep the software reasonably current.
RLord321
RLord321
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)Senior Member (294 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
That's what I was going to do as I am in the same situation - Create an empty project, add the plug-in and then migrate the characters after I import them   (I'm assuming the only negative is that you'll have two sets of shaders).

I actually had to do that anyway unless Reallusion fixed the Plugin so that it works with projects with BluePrint and C++ code.  It didn't work with C++ projects years ago..

Reading This Topic