Profile Picture

3DConnexion support, great but..

Posted By virtuali 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
virtuali
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Just installed IC8 Trial, and what a nice surprise, the 3DConnexion Space Explorer (I have the Enterprise version, with the screen ) is now supported!! After being accustomed to many years using it in 3DX Max, I felt like having lost my left arm when using IC7 so, this change alone would made the upgrade worth it for me.

However, there are some things that might be improved ( I couldn't find anything about it in the manual ):

- When the camera is in Orthographic mode, Zooming doesn't work. In fact, it seems to control the camera location instead. Works fine in Perspective camera.

- Having the 3DConnexion control scrubbing on the Timeline is a nice idea, because it feels like a proper scrubbing controller, however the direction seems to be reversed: rotating clockwise scrubs back on the timeline, and counterclockwise scrubs forward, which is a bit counterintuitive. Can this be changed in some setting ? I couldn't find any.

- The 3DConnexion changes its behavior automatically from scrubbing to moving the camera, depending if the Timeline or the 3D View is on focus. While this might be useful, it would be best having the ability to turn it off, and set it to control ONLY the 3D view, no matter what is in focus. As it is right now, is not very comfortable, because if you want to make adjustments on the timeline, you can't orbit/pan around the view at the same time, because the Timeline is in focus, so the controller controls scrubbing or zooming in the timeline, which might be confusing, because you must remember to click back on the 3d view, otherwise you are controlling the timeline.

That extra click almost nullify most the main advantage of using the 3D controller, which is the ability to do one thing with your regular mouse your right hand, while simultaneously control the camera with the 3D Controller in your left hand (well, assuming you are right-handed...), so it's a major showstopper to the huge increase in productivity support for a 3D Controller would otherwise grant. Please add the ability to lock the 3D Controller to always control pan/zoom/orbit in the 3D View, no matter what it's in focus.
Edited
2 Years Ago by virtuali
ken_1171
ken_1171
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.9K reputation)

You seem to be luckier than the rest of us. I couldn't get my Space Navigator mouse to work with IC8. Even the slightest touch on it, and things start rotating out of control, and that cannot be stopped. Another user has reported this happening with his Space Pilot, so it doesn't seem to be specific to my 3D mouse device. I can work with CC4 fine using the same 3D mouse, so this seems specific to IC8 only.
RobH2
RobH2
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (343 reputation)Senior Member (343 reputation)Senior Member (343 reputation)Senior Member (343 reputation)Senior Member (343 reputation)Senior Member (343 reputation)Senior Member (343 reputation)Senior Member (343 reputation)Senior Member (343 reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
@virtuali you seem to be very lucky. Ken and I have been discussing our horrible experience in this thread:  https://forum.reallusion.com/513550/Space-Pilot-causes-runaway-in-Viewport

But, the trick is to find out what enables your device to work mostly properly. I wonder what in your configuration allows that or, likewise, what in ours causes the issue. 
virtuali
virtuali
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)Junior Member (172 reputation)

Maybe I understand why it's working for me, but not for you. The 3DConnexion drivers includes mouse emulation, I guess to allow some support from apps that don't support it directly, it's called KMJ Emulator in the Devices list. However, I always keep the Mouse emulator disabled, because it creates issues with some apps ( Microsoft Flight Simulator in my case ), because there too, the 3D mouse zoom doubles down with the emulated mouse wheel zoom feature, so maybe this is what's happening with IC8 as well. Try to view Devices by connection in the Devices view, and under "3D Connexion KMJ Emulator", disable the Mouse HID device.

However, I would like RL to take note of my suggestions of having a setting to decide what the 3DConnexion should control: either the Timeline or the 3DView. Right now, it automatically switches depending on context, and this is VERY confusing, and prevents to be able to orbit/pan/zoom while acting on the Timeline at the same time, which kinds defeats the purpose of having a 3D Controller. It's SO close to be 100% more usable, but it fails only because of this minor issue.
Edited
2 Years Ago by virtuali

Reading This Topic