Losing Faith In Reallusion

Posted By Lord Ashes 2 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I have supported Reallusion's iClone since I first came across their software back at the end of version 5. Since then, I purchased iClone 6 with 3DXChange 6 Pro and then iClone 7 with 3DXChange 7 Pro. I have also been an active member of the RL Marketplace selling content for other users to use.

3DXChange has always been advertised as an Import and Export tool. Export to OBJ for the Pro version and Export to OBJ and FBX for Pipeline version. However, back in Feb 2021, I identified 3 major issues with the OBJ Export function which was preventing me from exporting the majority of my assets:

1. One issue (#7618) corrupted some exported files so that it was not possible to re-import them into either 3DXChange or third party software.
2. One issue (#7617) causes the texture mapping and textures, on some exports, to be all messed up.
2. One issue (#7616) causes part of the exported mesh to be missing on some exported assets.

The issues were report even earlier on the forum but officially opened with the Reallusion Feedback Tracker in Feb 2021. As requested, I provided sample assets which exhibited each one of the issues. Since then one of the issues (#7618) seems to have been addressed but the other two remain open with no fix. This means I still cannot export most of my own assets. Since 3DXChange Pro advertised the Export functionality, I only retained the iClone version of my assets understanding that I can always generate the OBJ/MTL by using the 3DXChange Pro advertised the Export functionality.

So basically, I paid for version of 3DXChange Pro that does not provide its advertised functionality and Reallusion seems to be in no hurry to correct the issues. In fact, with the new version 8 of their software, I am not sure if I will ever get a working version of 3DXChange 7 Pro. I suggested that they can temporarily remedy the situation by upgrading users to the 3DXChange 7 Pipeline edition, which has a FBX export which, hopefully, does not have the same issues as the OBJ Export option. However, Reallusion has not opted to do that.

If Reallusion does not stand behind its software and actually fix bugs affecting major functionality, why would I want to invest my money into buying version 8?

Please either:

1. Fix these issues.
or
2. Provide me with a pipeline license so that I can use the FBX export instead (since thew advertised function of 3DXChange 7 Pro does not work properly).
or
3. Provide a partial refund for the software since it does not meet the advertised functionality.

Links to Reallusion Feedback Tracker:

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
I mostly use FBX export as a choice because I have a pipeline and therefore I rarely face those issues you described.
But I can understand your frustration having only OBJ format as an option which is indeed broken in latest version.

I noticed in 7617 RL is talking about OBJ format limitation. Well, it's only partially true and do not apply to 3DX7 as an excuse.
It was fine for the most part in previous versions, but got broken at some point.
I cannot access any older 3DX7 version obviously, but here is contrast between 3DX6 and 3DX7

I exported a complex Jeep prop in both to OBJ and imported it back.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e5f4d857-4659-40e3-967e-dfa9.jpg

3DX6 imported the Jeep OBJ perfectly matching mesh-texture with the original 100% (I imported it back to iClone 6 and compared).
While 3DX7 created a hot mess. So there is no excuse for not fixing it and reinstating to the original 3DX6 functionality regarding OBJ import/export.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

<Grin> So the work around - for the time being - is to download 3DXChange 6 PRO and see if it will do the job?

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Lord Ashes (5/8/2022)
<Grin> So the work around - for the time being - is to download 3DXChange 6 PRO and see if it will do the job?

Probably yes. Although it would have a limited use as you would not be able to import props from IC7 into 3DX6.
It would only be useful for importing OBJ files created elsewhere (Blender) to 3DX6 and then exporting them to props for further use in IC7.

Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
Hi Lord Ashes

Have you been in contact with Support regarding this problem? If not I would advise contacting them and let them know your suggestions to resolve the situation. They may be able to work something out for you.

https://www.reallusion.com/CustomerSupport/UserEx/QForm.html

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

I have reached out to Customer Support which are not willing to do anything and suggested that I contact Purchasing which are also not willing to do anything.

This is FRAUD - I purchased a software with advertised specifications which the software does not meet - and the RL isn't even willing to upgrade me to a Pipeline license to try to mitigate the issue.

I joined RL membership at the end of iClone 5. I purchased iClone6 & 3DXChange PRO 6. Then I purchased iClone7 & 3DXChange PRO 7. I have been a loyal customer and content creator for RL Marketplace. If this is how loyal customers are treated by RL, then I have no interest in buying iClone 8 because I have no guarantee that it will work (and evidence shows that RL isn't willing to back their own software). I am guessing a professional testing team could not test all of iClone and 3DXChange in 14 days, so how is a customer supposed to do? That is what Customer Service told me, "sorry we can't help you since it has been 14 days since you purchased it".  

Because of the advertised Export To OBJ function, I have stored only the iClone or CC3 version of my content. According to the advertised specifications, I should have been able to export the OBJ file at any time, so storing the iClone or CC3 asset only was an efficient use of storage. So now, due to the two unresolved issues that were formally opened back in Feb 2021, I can't use at a lot of my own content except in iClone or CC3 because I can export to OBJ like I am supposed to be able to.

I keep mentioning a free upgrade to 3DXChange Pipeline 7, not because I am trying to get the pipeline version for free, but because I think it will resolve my issue (the ability to export) with minimal effort for RL. Especially since 3DXChange 7 is now going to an old version due to iClone 8 and CC4 coming out, giving a loyal customer a pipeline license, to compensate for major functionality bugs that have not been fixed for over a year in purchased software, is reasonable.

Edit: I tried downloading my iClone 6 and 3DXChange 6 PRO but, of course, they can't open iClone 7 or CC3 files, so that was no use.

Edited
2 Years Ago by Lord Ashes

Reading This Topic