Profile Picture

Sharing a successful Blender to CC3 to UE4 workflow, tested on my game project

Posted By zdB 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Sharing a successful Blender to CC3 to UE4 workflow, tested on my game...

Author
Idea.png
zdB
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
Hello,
After months of trying different things, I wanted to share a successful character creation workflow. I currently use it for my current indie online coop game. Smile
First I use blender to model the suit. I make sure to model over a generic pose previously defined in CC3

I use substance painter 3D for texturing

The fun part: importing individual pieces in character creator. I import as .fbx then use "Transfer skin weights" tool.
Works effectively if the model matches with the avatar. I make sure all textures are loaded correctly by importing them for each material.
I save the suit as a CC3 cloth preset.
This is where CC3 comes in handy as it has excellent rigging tools and it's a very useful for duplicating characters on a big scale.

I do weight paint adjustments to clean up the deformation of rigid parts.
I compare poses to make sure everything is right. Then I export using CC3 presets to UE4 .fbx

In Unreal Engine, I import everything using the CC3 to UE4 autosetup plugin.
You can use the same UE4 skeleton for every CC3 character you create. Be careful not to change the proportions too much though.

The only downside is that changing the version of UE4 requires re-importing all characters with the updated plugin.
So, you have to make sure to stay on a specific version of UE4 before scaling up and making other characters. 

The game is still in progress, you can check the animation in the game trailer (What's Beyond Us): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT0tmPCB-MI

Thank you BigGrin

Azad Boubrit
Video Game Creator at Questions Factory
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.3K reputation)

Last Active: 8 hours ago
Excellent pipeline!
Well done.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

zdB
zdB
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)New Member (66 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Thank you BigGrin

Azad Boubrit
Video Game Creator at Questions Factory

Reading This Topic