Profile Picture

[question] Character Creator vs Daz

Posted By veta_raven 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
veta_raven
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
A long time ago, I used to play with Daz Studio because... well, it was free (give or take). Then I fell out of the 3d stuff due to my PC not being powerful enough to render scenes. Now, I'm wanting to get back into because my project is seeing more development.

I fell off the the Daz bandwagon because...when they introduced this HD feature to their Gen 3 era, non-developes could not import HD morphs into the prgram.

Questions
1) Does CC have this "HD" feature that Daz has? Daz's HD feature allowed you to increase the poly count with a dial. I think they implented that during their Gen3 era.

2) Does CC have any import or export limitations?

3) Once upon a time, Daz introduced a gender-neture figure (Gen 1, I think), and went back to gender-based models afterwards. I'm not sure why they did it, people said somethign about the model not looking as good as the V4/M4 models. Why does CC use a gender-neture figure? Is their CC3 figure better deveolped than the Gen1 figure Daz attempted?

Thank you so much for your time and help.
Edited
2 Years Ago by Vata Raven
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago

Hi 

The current CC3 figures have no HD morph option nor do they have The joint control morphs of the Daz genesis figures.

As you may know ,CC3 pipeline allows you to import DaZ figures as FBX and project their shapes onto a CC3 Avatar to “recreate” the Daz figure as native Clone figures fully compatible with all of Iclone’s animation tools.

CC3 will convert the Daz clothing to clone/CC3 native clothing as well

On the matter of a gender neutral base I have been using Daz studio since the original genesis one was introduced.

The original genesis one could easily be morphed into  anything  from a petite, sexy female to a hulking comic book character.

This made the figure a bit too versatile for the Daz  content sales business model.

They split the figure into male &female bases with genesis 2, so the content developers could make more sales by  forcing you to buy a separate male and female version of  a sci fi armor for example.

This continued on with genesis 3 and genesis 8  with the content becoming ever more character specific again forcing you to buy more content for each specific gender and Character shapes.

RAG DOLL COLLISION ANIMATIONS FOR ICLONE 8 & 7
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins
My latest Feature length film created with Iclone.
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/adf9b210-df59-4cb6-aa1b-9de5.jpg

veta_raven
veta_raven
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)Junior Member (222 reputation)

AutoDidact (3/3/2022)
Hi 

The current CC3 figures have no HD morph option nor do they have The joint control morphs of the Daz genesis figures.

I'll be honest... I don't remember what the joint control thingy is. Was that the posing system where you could dial the poses for limbs and stuff?

But the lack of HD isn't a deal breaker, I just wanted to ask. I'm sure isn't not a required feature, or Poser and R
eallusion would've likely added a similar feature.

AutoDidact (3/3/2022)
They split the figure into male &female bases with genesis 2, so the content developers could make more sales by  forcing you to buy a separate male and female version of  a sci fi armor for example.

This continued on with genesis 3 and genesis 8  with the content becoming ever more character specific again forcing you to buy more content for each specific gender and Character shapes.

Ah, that makes sense as to why Daz dropped the gender-netural figure.

Honestly, I just want to drop Daz's figures all together, so I'm not worried about importing them into CC. Plus, it looks like CC offers more facial morphs than Daz ever has (more expensive of course), but I suppect that's so they could sell the headshot add-on for CC.

Is Daz's Gen1 and Reallusion's CC3 similar in quaility? That's a qustion from someone who knows nothign about human anatomy and 3d modeling. Though, on the surface, CC3 looks nicer than Gen1.
Edited
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (5.2K reputation)

To be fair the latest Daz figures (Genesis 8) are far better looking than the CC3 Figures and the Daz facial rig offers greater options for facial animation.

But it is rather moot considering the weak animation tools in Daz studio.
Also Daz studio has no real-time engine only the slow brute force path tracer from NVIDIA (Iray)

and an outdated version of 3Delight .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ghost Origins

veta_raven
veta_raven
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

AutoDidact (3/3/2022)
To be fair the latest Daz figures (Genesis 8) are far better looking than the CC3 Figures and the Daz facial rig offers greater options for facial animation.

Comparing Gen8 and CC3, does Daz offer a huge morph package like Reallusion does for CC3? CC3 has a heafty facial morph package to support their headshot add-on.

By looking at Daz's store, they don't treat their male and female figures equally. They have this facial morph package for Gen8 Female but the version for Gen8 Male isn't as nice and has less morphs, but it's more expensive.

Also, it looks like CC4 is going to be improving the facial rigging for better expressions. Or am I wrong about that?

On another note, I just used Daz to make characters; I never used it for aniamtion. So really, I'm looking for a good character builder that will let me render pretty headshots.

Edited
AutoDidact
AutoDidact
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

If you're not interested in animation then I see zero reason to leave the Daz ecosystem.
The cost buying CC4/Iclone  8 Will be around $900 USD.

For far less, You can buy ALOT of Morphs for genesis 8
plus the face transfer plugin for Daz studio which does the same as headshot for iclone.

Also Iray is Free in Daz studio unlike the plugin for iclone.
And the latest version of Daz studio supports open VDB FILES for realistic clouds , smoke effects etc

So for pretty still portraits, Daz studio is the best value for your money.

Ghost Origins

Edited
2 Years Ago by AutoDidact
veta_raven
veta_raven
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

I disagree on the cost facture with Daz vs Reallusion. Mostly because Daz doens't have one package for facial or body morphs; they just release another character (normally 40$) that acts as a add-on for more morphs.

Yes, I mostly used Daz as a headshot render, but I'm looking to do more for my project.

@AutoDidact, thank you for answering my questions.
Edited

Reading This Topic