Profile Picture

Importing Marvellous Designer Clothing into character creator disfigures clothing

Posted By sal_353974 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

Importing Marvellous Designer Clothing into character creator...

Author
sal_353974
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Year
I'm trying to import a garment from Marvellous Designer and it comes in completely tattered.

I downloaded the clothing from their marketplace. https://www.marvelousdesigner.com/store/detail/9a5897ffa80b41ef9f262438c44c27d4 
I imported my CC3 model ok into MD and applied the clothing, with it all looking fine.
When adding the garment I do get this message (I don't know if it is relevant to this issue, as it happens to other garments from the marketplace that don't have this error)

I fit it to my character ok

I export the clothing as an object and load it into CC3 and this is what I get

the dress has been eaten by mothballs Sad 
importing into Blender seems fine. Can anybody assist with this? It would be greatly appreciated. Also is there a better workflow that anyone knows when working with MD?

Thanks.
Sal.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
I do occasionally work in MD and can advise you accordingly.
There are whooooole lot of patterns piled one over another on the UV map (and it does not look good in Blender either if you enable Material Preview). This is price to pay for the item being free I suppose.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/161af33e-3f41-4a03-9f4e-debe.jpg

You have to workout UV tiles (spread them out and arrange) and then bake texture probably.
When spreading tiles keep iClone physics in mind (if you intend to animate her). This is whole other story though...

Also always export Single Object, Weld and Thin for CC3.

Edited
2 Years Ago by 4u2ges
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Try to Reset the UVs before exporting : ( right click on an empty space in the UV Editor )

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/fca66b39-3d7a-40d4-b457-58e0.jpg

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/d81a0135-e72a-4e66-b975-1ddf.jpg
Edited
2 Years Ago by Bassline303
sal_353974
sal_353974
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)Junior Member (145 reputation)

thanks for the tip Bassline. It seemed to change things, but it's still pretty broken. Could the garment itself be the problem. I have tried a few other outfits and am having the same problem. I'll keep trying to see if I can find one that works. I'm also using the trial version of the software, as I am testing to see if it does what I need it to. Is there any sort of limitation on the trial that you know of?

thanks.
sal_353974
sal_353974
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

thanks 4u2ges, resetting the UV's as Bassline suggested laid out the patterns so that they weren't on top of each other. What do you mean by baking the texture appropriately? I'm not very familiar with this software and I haven't seen that step in any of the workflows I have followed.

thanks
4u2ges
This post has been flagged as an answer
4u2ges
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
sal_353974 (3/8/2022)
thanks 4u2ges, resetting the UV's as Bassline suggested laid out the patterns so that they weren't on top of each other. What do you mean by baking the texture appropriately? I'm not very familiar with this software and I haven't seen that step in any of the workflows I have followed.

thanks

That step is optional, but you could bake any specific UV tile in UDIM space (if you spread islands across tiles).
Like all small islands put into one tile and bake to smaller texture. Large islands in the other tile bake to 4K for instance.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e178f4ec-7718-4243-8295-7929.jpg

Reading This Topic