Profile Picture

Animate Character with Outline

Posted By henry_487458 2 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
henry_487458
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hi, my character has an outline, and the line breaks when trying to animate. I really appreciate any advice you can provide.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/7522a5f6-66f7-47e8-98d6-83a8.jpg
jlittle
jlittle
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
When using outlines you have to design your character carefully.
Each joint should be a perfect circle so that the outlines do not get wonky when rotation is applied.
Here, the upper arm should be behind the upper torso with the outline on the upper torso just touching the outline of the upper arm.

Then you end up with the parts outlined like this:

With the arm behind the torso you can rotate the arm, and since the outline on the arm is continuous it will work correctly:

Attention to the shape, rotation, and pivot points for each body part is critical to get the movement correct so that the outline stays correct.
Also the use of masking can be helpful.

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Get my Plugin Manager and TaskNotes plugins for iClone.
Check out EZColors and Other products for CTA/CA. EZColors: the easy way to change Render Styled (RS) colors!
See my CTA Tutorials on the YouTube channel CTAStepByStep

Edited
2 Years Ago by jlittle
henry_487458
henry_487458
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)Junior Member (137 reputation)

Hi Jeff, thank you so much for your help, really grateful!

Regarding the use of masking, is it possible to use it with the PS pipeline? 

Thanks again
Henry
henry_487458
henry_487458
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Hi, thanks again for your advice, I tried it with the arm, but cannot work out how to not have the outlines overlapping. It will be great to have any advice you can provide.Thanks!
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/5978eb20-f17d-4543-9f68-188d.jpg

Reading This Topic