Profile Picture

CTA4 Newbies

Posted By CliffordJee 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
CliffordJee
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Good Day All,
Clifford Jee here. I'm very much a newbie - to both CTA4 and this forum. Please be patient with me until I become better acquainted with group customs, norms. and appropriate processes.
A few questions I have are:
1. What are the 12 most used commands (buttons/ function keys/mouse control) in CTA4 and what is the most common way to use them?  
2. What is the general layout scheme of the software (main section's name, location, and general purpose)?
3. What is a typical workflow (step by step) process?
4. What is the relationship between the stage and the timeline?
5. How do you most easily zoom in and out?
6. What is the difference between a scene and a background that looks very much like a scene?
7. What is the difference between G2, G3, and G360 characters?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (122.7K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: Yesterday
ccps549 (1/20/2022)

1. What are the 12 most used commands (buttons/ function keys/mouse control) in CTA4 and what is the most common way to use them?

This is really something that will be different for each user. For example, character creators will commonly use a different set of commands than animators.

2. What is the general layout scheme of the software (main section's name, location, and general purpose)?

This is all explained in the manual below.

https://manual.reallusion.com/Cartoon_Animator_4/ENU/Pipeline/Content/Resources/ENU/01_User_Interface_Introduction/Knowing_the_Environment.htm

3. What is a typical workflow (step by step) process?

Again varies from user to user. Generally you create separate projects for each scene of your movie. In each project you would load all your scene elements, your characters, and place them as required (at Frame 1 of the project). Then you would animate your characters and props and add any effects. Animating your characters can be done using pre-set 2D or 3D animation clips, keyframe animation, or even motion capture.

4. What is the relationship between the stage and the timeline?

The Stage is where you place your characters, props etc. The Timeline shows all the animation data and keyframing for the characters and props.

5. How do you most easily zoom in and out?

Roll the mouse wheel or press Camera Zoom (Z) and then left click and drag in the viewport..

6. What is the difference between a scene and a background that looks very much like a scene?

A Background is just a static 2D image. A Scene can be made up of various Props all of which can be positioned and resized as required.

7. What is the difference between G2, G3, and G360 characters?

Each version of Cartoon Animator (formerly known as CrazyTalk Animator) has had a different generation of characters. So G1 were the first base characters in CTA1. Multiangle G2 characters came in CTA2. G3 characters came in CTA3 and now in CTA4 we have G3 360 characters which are the same G3 base characters from CTA3 but with 360 degree heads. Each generation has traditionally changed the style of the base characters so if you prefer a particular look you can continue to use them in CTA4.

I hope this helps a little.

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Edited
2 Years Ago by Peter (RL)
CliffordJee
CliffordJee
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)Junior Member (239 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Again "Thanks" for such a patient and timely reply to my many newbie questions.

I can only imagine how many times you must have answered the same or similar questions!

I find the online CTA4 manual to be very difficult to use and not viable at all as a quick reference resource offline. 
Is it at all possible to get a hard copy (or a digital version I could print out myself) of the CTA4 manual for the most current version?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reading This Topic