Profile Picture

BannaFlak Face Cap App / Offline Facial Capture?

Posted By lightbearer 2 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
lightbearer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Month
There is a facial capture app that I used with Daz Studio called Face Cap. Essentially it allows you to capture facial animations using Apple's ARKit, and then using a plugin map those to facial animations in Daz Studio. Using Autodesk FBX Converter, I can take the ASCII FBX data, convert it, and then import the facial capture data into Blender. The advantage is that it isn't a "live" plugin, that is, I can be away from the computer and still perform facial capture. I have attempted to bring the converted FBX binary data into 3DXchange and it works with limited success. There is head rotation/translation, and some eye movement but no morph targets are animated. The ARKit expressions do show up in the Face Setup window. Clicking on each makes the corresponding morph target move in the viewer window. (Screenshot attached.)

I am able to import the same file into Blender and it works. The morph targets are animated, but no joy in iClone / 3DXchange. The goal would be to import the morph targets from an offline session, import them into iClone, use Collect Clip and then target the animations to a Reallusion character.

I have the Motion Live plugin and Live Face app, but one has to be at the computer to use those. Has anyone had success with a facial capture app that is usable offline?

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/e2ddf362-9486-457e-a40e-9e87.jpg
animagic
animagic
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 17 minutes ago
CC morph targets are indeed based on ARKit, so it should be possible you would think. It may require someone more familiar with CC's innards to make it work.

It may be a limitation in 3DXchange, which is a fairly dated application.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

Kelleytoons
This post has been flagged as an answer
Kelleytoons
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 3 hours ago
If you can capture video you can use the video for Live Face, as I show here:

So you can indeed do facial capture when not at a computer.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
hobbyuser3d
hobbyuser3d
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)Veteran Member (932 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
this is cool kellytoons im def going to play with that in future..im going to make an ivanka head shot real quick ill show you what i come up with. =)
lightbearer
lightbearer
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)Veteran Member (695 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Yeah, as you mentioned in the video, I would've never guessed that was possible. Thanks for the information.

Reading This Topic