Upgrading: What Stays, What Flees

Posted By JasonWynngard 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
JasonWynngard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I'm an iClone 7.9XXX and a Character Creator 3.XXX customer. I expect to purchase the newest incarnations of both programs, a few months once they are available. It's what I do with any new software. I wait a while to see if any glitches, bugs, or whatever issues appear and are resolved before buying. Now, that out of the way, the real reason I'm posting.

1. I have iC6 and iC7 and CC3 on my computer. What content is lost when iC8 or CC4 is installed?

2. Assuming the desire of a user to do so, should the older versions of iC and CC3 be removed before or after the newer software is installed?

3. Will the programs either overwrite or store legacy content in their own folder, or integrate them with the new program folders?

4. Will there be an installation guide for customers who desire to retain their content and customer files but not the legacy software upon installing the new iC8 and CC4?   

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

wires
wires
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (15.0K reputation)

Last Active: 10 hours ago
1. I have iC6 and iC7 and CC3 on my computer. What content is lost when iC8 or CC4 is installed?

None

2. Assuming the desire of a user to do so, should the older versions of iC and CC3 be removed before or after the newer software is installed?

No fixed rule on this, but it isn't a bad idea to keep at least the last version installed for a while - just in case.

3. Will the programs either overwrite or store legacy content in their own folder, or integrate them with the new program folders?

No content is overwritten when a new version is installed, unless the user opts to have everything installed in the existing folders. During install the user can choose just where to have both default and custom content stored for each version.

4. Will there be an installation guide for customers who desire to retain their content and customer files but not the legacy software upon installing the new iC8 and CC4? 

There has never been a guide covering this, but as stated in the answers above, no purchased or custom content from an existing installation is removed or modified if the folder structure is kept separate for each version.
As an example, I have iClone 5, 6, and 7 as well as CC 1, 2 and 3 on my system at the moment and each version has a separate set of content folders. 

Gerry

System: Win 10 Pro (21H2), Asus X99-E WS, CPU i7-5930K -3,5 GHz, 32 GB DDR4 2666-16 RAM, NVidia GTX 1080 Ti GPU - 11 GB VRAM(Driver Studio-536.99), Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB SSD, 6 TB HD storage.

JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (6.5K reputation)

Thank you, Gerry. One more question, if I may. Will iC8 and CC4 require Windows 10 (or even Windows 11)?

Omen HP17t ck00 -- Windows 11 -- 32GB RAM -- Two 1TB Crucial M.2 NVME Drives -- nVidia Geoforce RTX 3070 -- 11th Generation i9 -- LG 32" QUHD Monitor

animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 21 minutes ago
JasonWynngard (11/16/2021)
Thank you, Gerry. One more question, if I may. Will iC8 and CC4 require Windows 10 (or even Windows 11)?

It should certainly work with Windows 10, as Windows 11 currently still has some restrictions. I for one am not in a hurry to upgrade to windows 11.

I'm not sure about Windows 7, as it has reached end-of-life almost two years ago.

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

yepkoo
yepkoo
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.4K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month

animagic (11/16/2021)

It should certainly work with Windows 10, as Windows 11 currently still has some restrictions. I for one am not in a hurry to upgrade to windows 11.
I'm not sure about Windows 7, as it has reached end-of-life almost two years ago.

Most programs can generally run smoothly on older version operating systems. (Even if not supported)
However, old operating systems are no longer useful.

The only problem with Windows 11 is that many computers continue to use Windows 10 due to the lack of "TPM 2.0 support".
That's why I don't think most programs can cut Windows 10 support for many years.

I've been using Windows 11 for a long time, never had a problem other than the taskbar uncombined.
I even started using the "Pin to Start" part efficiently for the first time.
Search is much more useful.
It takes some getting used to having the taskbar icons in the middle, now I realize it's very useful.

----------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/yepkoo
https://dev.epicgames.com/community/profile/bxvo/Yepkoo#learning

Edited
3 Years Ago by yepkoo
JasonWynngard
JasonWynngard
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

animagic (11/16/2021)

If I had my way, I'd stay on Windows 7 Ultimate., the last truly stable Windoze version in my opinion. It has never caused me a problem, At least once I got rid of the annoying and nagging malware upgrade flag for forcing users to adopt Windows 10. If I REALLY had my way, I'd go 100% LINUX Mint or some version of LINUX. But I have too much software that's Windoze only, so am trapped. In any case, I have to upgrade my system as more and more software won't install unless you have Windows 10 at least. So it probably doesn't matter. But Windows 7 is the only version I owned that didn't do things in the background or make changes I didn't ask it to do. All the same, I look forward to iC8 and CC4 in my new efforts to create more realistic book covers, Bible characters, and integrating avatars with live presenters in vlog posts, stuff like that. RL rocks!!!!

TopOneTone
TopOneTone
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (3.6K reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
I think it would be good to get these questions answered officially by someone from RL as there has been incidence in the past where content has been removed with new versions ie two standard characters disappeared with ic7 and were replaced by new ones and some props have disappeared. RL never states this upfront but waits for people to discover this, usually after it’s too late to save a backup.

ive been on board since ic5 and my experience leads me to suggest it’s wise to keep old versions safe and to not install immediately new versions are released as it’s inevitable there will be errors and problems that will be rectified over the following months. 
Cheers,
Tony
oisilener1982
oisilener1982
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago

iClone7 runs fine in Windows 10 and 11.
IClone 8 would be even more compatible with Win 11

Reading This Topic