3DXChange Import Results In Fatal Crash

Posted By Lord Ashes 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
Lord Ashes
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
I am trying to import a model via 3DXChange and the first time I tired it just close without displaying any error. The second time I tried, it gave me some error related to memory. I am 99.9% sure that this is unrelated to my hardware (i.e. an actual memory problem) or the OS since everything else seems to be working correctly. The model is an OBJ with a file size of 364KB and reported in Blender as having a little over 2.5K Face Counts.
Does anyone have any ideas how I can diagnose this issue to determine why 3DXChange is committing suicide when trying to import this model?

This is actually the 4th issue that I have raised for 3DXChange, the other 3 were for Export issues. The other three were opened over a 1/2 a year ago and still have not been resolved.

Screen shots below show the model rendering correctly in Blender and show the Face Count.

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Peter (RL)
Peter (RL)
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (116.0K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Last Active: 10 hours ago
Hi...

In a perfect world 3DXchange would be able to open every type of OBJ and FBX. Sadly with models being created in a multitude of different software using different modelling techniques it is inevitable that you will find that 3DXchange will not like certain models and this often results in crashing.

Sadly there is no easy solution for finding the cause. It normally requires trial and error involving opening the model in other software (if it will open), stripping it back to basics, and then resaving. You can also try saving the model without any textures and see if this allows 3DXchange 7 to open it. If it does then you can manually reapply the textures. 

Peter
Forum Administrator

www.reallusion.com

Lord Ashes
Lord Ashes
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.8K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Weeks Ago
While I agree partially with what you are saying, most software, when it encounters something it can't handle will at a minimum not crash and instead provide a message such as "incompatible file format". Better software tries to at least narrow down the problem by indicating, for example, "invalid mesh" as opposed to "invalid material".
On top of that, I have (among other software) a piece of software from 1995 (last updated in 1997) which is less than 5MB in size that is able to load the file without issues (as well as more modern software like Blender) and still provide a full GUI for editing the file (including rigging and scene preparation).
<grin> Is Reallusion really going to be outdone by 5MB program from the late 1990s? ;-)

"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best, but they only have the right to bear arms while we have the right to bare breasts"
Bowser and Blue, Busting The Breast
Edited
3 Years Ago by Lord Ashes

Reading This Topic