Profile Picture

Imitation game WIP | Entry 1 | Pass One

Posted By Bennersftw 3 Years Ago
Rated 5 stars based on 1 vote.
Author
Bennersftw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Months Ago
Here is my first WIP video, going over my thoughts and process to bring to life a scene from the film Imitation Game.

I’m brand new to using iClone and having started my second submission, I’m definitely feeling overwhelmed with having to learn all the programs I’m using.
I am rendering out of Unreal as I have been dabbling in that for the past few months.

I will be revisiting this entry for pass two in about a weeks time. My second entries WIP will be put together sometime next week.

I’m keeping things simple as I don’t know the animation tools well enough yet to make epic movie scenes like a bunch of you have. So for that reason I’m focusing on simple shots to absorb the new information more thoroughly.

I didn’t realize the struggle to animate a metahuman face and body would be. I didn’t think I’d have to them separately, so my next task is to figure out the most efficient way to animate the body while the face is also animating.

Thanks a bunch for your time and for the inspiration of all your entries! It’s great to see what can be done and a lot of your entries have been extremely impressive!

Edited
3 Years Ago by Bennersftw
mrblenderpower
mrblenderpower
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)Senior Member (280 reputation)

Last Active: 3 Years Ago
nice workflow and good use of the tools. i have the same problems like you.
i am new to this software too.but there are a lot of good tutorials out there on YT.
Keep going very good start.
rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Great Work,👍
Greetings rosuckmedia
Bennersftw
Bennersftw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)Junior Member (212 reputation)

nice workflow and good use of the tools. i have the same problems like you.
i am new to this software too.but there are a lot of good tutorials out there on YT.
Keep going very good start.

Thanks a ton for the comment and for checking this out!

Yeah there definitely it rly are some great tutorials! I spent the first bit of time just coming to the realization that the workflow I need is to save out as FBX, rather than use Take Recorder. The next thing was getting animations exported out for both the face and body, which I’m still working on. Interestingly enough they aren’t coming along with my FBX save.

Anywho, I could talk all day about this, thank you again for the interest and time! Ima keep an eye out for your work!

Ben
Edited
3 Years Ago by Bennersftw
Bennersftw
Bennersftw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

rosuckmedia (7/15/2021)
Great Work,👍
Greetings rosuckmedia

Thanks so much for the comment and your time checking it out! Hope you are well over there! Looking forward to seeing your work.
charly Rama
charly Rama
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (7.5K reputation)

This is a very good entry, welcome and good luck mate. Nice to see the quality of your work, 

Bennersftw
Bennersftw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

charly Rama (7/15/2021)
This is a very good entry, welcome and good luck mate. Nice to see the quality of your work, 

That’s very kind of you, thank you! I’m having lots of fun trying to put this all together. Learnings lots from the community and being mega inspired by all of your great works and ideas!
Thank you for your comment and time checking this out!

Ben
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Yes , great entry and workflow Video !  Smile

So , how can I help you?
Do you want to do body animation over LL or FBX import for body?
Bennersftw
Bennersftw
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Bassline303 (7/15/2021)

So , how can I help you?

Thanks so much for taking a peek and offering to help me out here.

Heads up: I’m super new to all of this, so my explanations are showcasing how overwhelmed parts of this are lol. I’m not sure how to describe all the problems without over explaining for right now - till I get a better handle on the systems.

For this one I’m just wanting subtle upper body movement, just to have some shoulder movement helping to emphasize the dialogue.
I’m thinking the FBX approach may be easiest as I don’t have an adapter to connect my phone to Ethernet for a better connection.

I have been following these two:

https://youtu.be/rhaWY5L49wc

https://youtu.be/FbbqrAKlB38

But for some unusual reason the animations aren’t transferring over. I just used the take recorder to capture the facial animation in this WIP video.
I have triple checked the animation tab has “import animation” is checked, and I unchecked “import bone tracks” but it comes through as empty.

The other dilemma I’ve been having is trying to connect LL to show both the face and body animation happening live at the same time. Currently in the BP it’s setup to show just the face movement. I followed this tutorial:

https://youtu.be/5AFvbtLSVMY

And using this one for the body:

https://youtu.be/8HxhWC20yck

but when I move a shoulder it’s not showing movement in real time.
It’s nice to see how it looks in real time and then export the animations out and into UE via FBX.

Summarized:
Importing FBX from iClone to UE is resulting in no animation inside the FBX once in Unreal.

Unsure how to link both face and body simultaneously using LL to show movement of both in real time.

Thank you so much for even attempting to help and trying to understand my long winded response hah.
I just want to bring as complete of a package as I can into this contest. Since I don’t know how to make fancy scenes and dynamic animations right now, I’m wanting to make sure the things I am tackling are done extremely well.

Thank you so much!

Ben
Bassline303
Bassline303
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (13.5K reputation)

Bennersftw (7/15/2021)
Bassline303 (7/15/2021)

So , how can I help you?

Thanks so much for taking a peek and offering to help me out here.

Heads up: I’m super new to all of this, so my explanations are showcasing how overwhelmed parts of this are lol. I’m not sure how to describe all the problems without over explaining for right now - till I get a better handle on the systems.

For this one I’m just wanting subtle upper body movement, just to have some shoulder movement helping to emphasize the dialogue.
I’m thinking the FBX approach may be easiest as I don’t have an adapter to connect my phone to Ethernet for a better connection.

I have been following these two:

https://youtu.be/rhaWY5L49wc

https://youtu.be/FbbqrAKlB38

Yes . FBX is a little complicated the first time  🤪
But for some unusual reason the animations aren’t transferring over. I just used the take recorder to capture the facial animation in this WIP video.
I have triple checked the animation tab has “import animation” is checked, and I unchecked “import bone tracks” but it comes through as empty.

For importing FBX Body animation , "import bone tracks" have to be ticked ! Only for Face animation it has to be unticked ,
cause we only wanted to import the facial morphs, for body we need the bones to move it.

The other dilemma I’ve been having is trying to connect LL to show both the face and body animation happening live at the same time. Currently in the BP it’s setup to show just the face movement. I followed this tutorial:

https://youtu.be/5AFvbtLSVMY

And using this one for the body:

https://youtu.be/8HxhWC20yck

but when I move a shoulder it’s not showing movement in real time.
It’s nice to see how it looks in real time and then export the animations out and into UE via FBX.

Summarized:
Importing FBX from iClone to UE is resulting in no animation inside the FBX once in Unreal.

Unsure how to link both face and body simultaneously using LL to show movement of both in real time.

Thank you so much for even attempting to help and trying to understand my long winded response hah.
I just want to bring as complete of a package as I can into this contest. Since I don’t know how to make fancy scenes and dynamic animations right now, I’m wanting to make sure the things I am tackling are done extremely well.

Thank you so much!

Ben

Here is my Setup for Body and Face LL . maybe it helps :

Also double check that you have the right body BP loaded:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/a8cc796e-f667-4c51-a242-5b3d.jpg
Edited
3 Years Ago by Bassline303

Reading This Topic