Profile Picture

Question on SkinGen and skin tones

Posted By BaronChad 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
BaronChad
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)Junior Member (127 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
So I've started playing around with SkinGen, and I am really impressed with its power and flexibility.  That said, if you want to tweak the base skin tone, make it more or less tan, or maybe even more Swedish or more Brazillian say, I know there are multiple ways to do it.  You can play with the color settings on the base maps for sure.  You could add in a custom layer with a low opacity and change skin tone that way.  You could export the map and change the tone in an outside graphics program.  I guess my question is, has a best practice emerged yet?  Does anyone have thoughts on which way is easiest or best?

Thanks,
BaronChad
MilesV
MilesV
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.2K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Months Ago
I don't know about best practices. But I think it would depend on what you're trying to accomplish and your current skill set with various tools. My thoughts are:

If you're happy with the details of the skin then changing the color of the base maps in SkinGen might be a quick easy option for you. And then if you want to add different details to the skin and have the premium version of Skingen you could use the 21 different tools to add skin details.

If you have the realistic human skin pack or other purchased/created layers available to you, overlaying them, adjusting the layer order and various settings might be a good way for you to adjust skin tone and get variations in skin details without manually adding and tweaking a bunch of individual layers to get the desired effect.

And if you're really good with Photoshop, you can probably do anything with the skin. But then you'd have to consider what is faster, for you personally, to get the desired effect. Can X be done by quickly adjusting a slider or adding a layer in SkinGen or can you do it faster or with better detail in Photoshop?
Edited
3 Years Ago by MilesV

Reading This Topic