Profile Picture

Conforming & Skin Weight Normalization issue

Posted By jonnys777 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jonnys777
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hi all,
I've tried to search the forums for information on this but not had any luck - apols if I have missed an existing answer.
I've brought in a cloth object from Daz, and have been going through the process of trying to edit the Conform and Skin Weight settings. I want part of the item to be non-conforming and then to just set skin weights on other regions of the item.
I've watched the RL videos on fixing visual defects etc, but I'm having an issue where CC3 is trying to 'normalise' skin weights and is forcing me to have at least one bone with a weight of 1 for each area - it's doing this even for regions which I marked as non-conforming. I have tried to lock out individual bones after I have set the skin weightings, but when I get to the last bone in a given hierarchy it will not led me edit the weights below 1 (white).
This means that the whole item is always conforming (e.g. when testing with calibration), which looks completely ridiculous.
Any ideas for how to fix this?
Cheers!

jonnys777
jonnys777
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)Junior Member (133 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
It turns out I was being dumb - the fix was to stop being dumb!
Basically the cloth object was a single element, so when I was trying to select it to not conform for part of it, I was actually trying to do it for the whole thing while still having 'conform' checked. CC3 recognised this was illogical so wouldn't let me do it. Re the skin weightings, I had to have all vertices weighted as they were all set to conform. The best solution I found was to 99% weight to a single bone, with only a small amount of weighting for adjoining bones to account for twisting.

Reading This Topic