Profile Picture

HELP: UE4 4.26, Unreal Live Link using the Take Recorder?

Posted By DS-Waqas 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!

HELP: UE4 4.26, Unreal Live Link using the Take Recorder?

Author
DS-Waqas
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (595 reputation)Veteran Member (595 reputation)Veteran Member (595 reputation)Veteran Member (595 reputation)Veteran Member (595 reputation)Veteran Member (595 reputation)Veteran Member (595 reputation)Veteran Member (595 reputation)Veteran Member (595 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Last Week
https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/84ae04c2-859b-406c-b2c9-e90d.jpg

I'm trying to follow this tutorial 

Unreal Live Link Plug-in Tutorial - Sequencer Recording in Unreal Engine

https://youtu.be/yjJldjrzqww

and it already seems to be outdated as I don't get all the same options in UE4 4.26.

Given the Sequence Recorder is soon to be discontinued anyways  is there an update this tutorial  for the  recording of animation from IClone using Live Link to Unreal using the Take Recorder?
Edited
3 Years Ago by DS-Waqas
shmedia
shmedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (160 reputation)Junior Member (160 reputation)Junior Member (160 reputation)Junior Member (160 reputation)Junior Member (160 reputation)Junior Member (160 reputation)Junior Member (160 reputation)Junior Member (160 reputation)Junior Member (160 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hi I found the same thing, but take recorder is fairly easy to use. Just drag what items you want to record from your browser window to it. Usually cameras, actors lights (every thing with motion that you have live linked.) Change the name and take at the top of the recorder to match your project. Then hit record and hit play on I-clone when the counter gets down to 1. (Off course make sure live link is active before you do this.)

Hit stop on the recorder when I-clone is done playing. The recorder will then make a new sequence with all of your items on separate tracks, and it will make a take folder for each item individually that has the animation for that item and a individual sequence for that item labeled with the take number.

The sequence will be in your Cinema / sequence folder, but to see it right away click the button at the top of the take recorder that says show previous sequence. When the sequence opens it will show each recorder item as a color coded bar. To see the actual sequence for a particular item with animation keys double click the bar for that item. (Return to the main sequence by clicking the back arrow at the top of the subsequence). You can adjust the animations by setting keys in the sub sequences.. 
To see you cameras in main window either click on them in their sub sequence. Or in the main sequence click the little camera icon on the camera's track.
To determine which camera is visible for the shot cam at the top of the main sequence. Right Click on the track at the top and choose the camera you want visible. Do can choose binding but that gets wacky. I found the best way to switch between cameras to be to but the time line where you want to make a change and choose "split" to break the shot track. Then right click on the piece to the right and change it to the camera you want. 

Interesting side note that if you set up your camera switches in I-clone using the camera switcher. Then have the active camera in I-clone set to switch. Export the "Editor Active Camera " in UnrealLiveLink. Then include this as one of the cameras you record in Unreal take recorder. That Switched camera will be part of the master sequence. You can actually put it up as your shot camera, but realize that it is actually a single camera jumping to the animations of each of the other cameras and not a true video switcher cutting between cameras. (I changed the timing on an animation once and found you can see a few frames of the camera jumping from one position to the next. Kind of cool effect but not what I wanted.)

Anyway to render it all you can just click on the camera icon at the top of the sequence and render. Oh yeah, if you haven't noticed it already that sequence is locked for any changes. You will need to click the little unlock icon on the top right to make any edits. You will also want to save the sequence before rendering. Be sure to remember the name and take of the sequence. You can find it again inside the take folder with todays date in the Cinema folder.
A better way to render the sequence is with the new  sequence renderer. Also under the Cinema menu. You will need to pick the sequence by name. You can also add "anti aliasing" at this point which really improves your render. I also found that if you have an Invidia card you can choose that for your renderer and things render extremely quickly.
Good luck. I've been playing with this for the last week. Had a few mishaps. Trying to align an alembic file, that I found you can also add to the timeline but must import as a "alembic cache". Also found that prop morphs don't record automatically and have had to reanimate those by hand, am looking for a way to solve that problem.

lightbearer
lightbearer
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (691 reputation)Veteran Member (691 reputation)Veteran Member (691 reputation)Veteran Member (691 reputation)Veteran Member (691 reputation)Veteran Member (691 reputation)Veteran Member (691 reputation)Veteran Member (691 reputation)Veteran Member (691 reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Very helpful. Thanks.
oisilener1982
oisilener1982
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)Veteran Member (952 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Its about time for Reallusion to update the tutorial for livelink Smile
jodywilsonuk
jodywilsonuk
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (92 reputation)New Member (92 reputation)New Member (92 reputation)New Member (92 reputation)New Member (92 reputation)New Member (92 reputation)New Member (92 reputation)New Member (92 reputation)New Member (92 reputation)

This was very helpful, thank you so much. Have you come across the issue where it has recorded perfectly using take recorder, the sequencer is playing back the animation but not the facial expressions or lip sync for the character talking? Thanks in advance for any further advice you can offer

inash
inash
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.1K reputation)

Last Active: Last Month
Take Recorder glitches with the Metahuman characters and iClone Metahuman live link though. Its fine with sequence recorder but with take recorder it smashes the head down into the shoulders. 

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/811ec0b3-e797-4778-a18f-7948.jpg

OS: Windows 10 Pro English 64-bit / CPU: Intel i7-4930K 3.4 GHZ / MB: ASUS Sabertooth X79 /  RAM: 32GB G-SKILL RIPJAW / HD: 2TB+2TB+3TB  /  SSD: 256 Samsung 860 EVO & 128 Samsung 860 EVO/ 
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti 11GB / COOLER : CORSAIR H75 Liquid Cooler

rosuckmedia
rosuckmedia
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (9.0K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
@hoodTRONIK
Hello,
Have a look at this tutorial, here the error is fixed.
from the minute 3:20
Greetings rosuckmedia

captain_flimflam
captain_flimflam
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)New Member (6 reputation)

I found this one was simpler to follow 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY8xQ4EPbrA
no4access
no4access
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)New Member (54 reputation)

it cant  recorded any  camera movement 
megaoutput
megaoutput
Posted 2 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)Veteran Member (882 reputation)

Last Active: Last Year
Hello 

I am getting 2 issue when i am using trying to do the  live link.

1. When I try to live Link in unreal engine and iclone in 4.26 everything seems fine until I  try and use the  take recorder. When it records  well but when i playback it stutters. I made sure that the unreal engine is set to 60 fps. I am only getting 24 fps from iclone but i seem others with less fps and still get a smooth playback. Any ideas?

2. When I try to transfer files over from iclone to unreal engine 4.27.2  using the Live Link it crashes every-time.  Any ideas?

shmedia (5/26/2021)
Hi I found the same thing, but take recorder is fairly easy to use. Just drag what items you want to record from your browser window to it. Usually cameras, actors lights (every thing with motion that you have live linked.) Change the name and take at the top of the recorder to match your project. Then hit record and hit play on I-clone when the counter gets down to 1. (Off course make sure live link is active before you do this.)

Hit stop on the recorder when I-clone is done playing. The recorder will then make a new sequence with all of your items on separate tracks, and it will make a take folder for each item individually that has the animation for that item and a individual sequence for that item labeled with the take number.

The sequence will be in your Cinema / sequence folder, but to see it right away click the button at the top of the take recorder that says show previous sequence. When the sequence opens it will show each recorder item as a color coded bar. To see the actual sequence for a particular item with animation keys double click the bar for that item. (Return to the main sequence by clicking the back arrow at the top of the subsequence). You can adjust the animations by setting keys in the sub sequences.. 
To see you cameras in main window either click on them in their sub sequence. Or in the main sequence click the little camera icon on the camera's track.
To determine which camera is visible for the shot cam at the top of the main sequence. Right Click on the track at the top and choose the camera you want visible. Do can choose binding but that gets wacky. I found the best way to switch between cameras to be to but the time line where you want to make a change and choose "split" to break the shot track. Then right click on the piece to the right and change it to the camera you want. 

Interesting side note that if you set up your camera switches in I-clone using the camera switcher. Then have the active camera in I-clone set to switch. Export the "Editor Active Camera " in UnrealLiveLink. Then include this as one of the cameras you record in Unreal take recorder. That Switched camera will be part of the master sequence. You can actually put it up as your shot camera, but realize that it is actually a single camera jumping to the animations of each of the other cameras and not a true video switcher cutting between cameras. (I changed the timing on an animation once and found you can see a few frames of the camera jumping from one position to the next. Kind of cool effect but not what I wanted.)

Anyway to render it all you can just click on the camera icon at the top of the sequence and render. Oh yeah, if you haven't noticed it already that sequence is locked for any changes. You will need to click the little unlock icon on the top right to make any edits. You will also want to save the sequence before rendering. Be sure to remember the name and take of the sequence. You can find it again inside the take folder with todays date in the Cinema folder.
A better way to render the sequence is with the new  sequence renderer. Also under the Cinema menu. You will need to pick the sequence by name. You can also add "anti aliasing" at this point which really improves your render. I also found that if you have an Invidia card you can choose that for your renderer and things render extremely quickly.
Good luck. I've been playing with this for the last week. Had a few mishaps. Trying to align an alembic file, that I found you can also add to the timeline but must import as a "alembic cache". Also found that prop morphs don't record automatically and have had to reanimate those by hand, am looking for a way to solve that problem.

Reading This Topic