Profile Picture

Character Creator 3 on a Mac with bootcamp?

Posted By sarazen 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
sarazen
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
Hey, I'm another Mac user who'd really love to use your software. Reading through the forum, it looks like there are no real plans to make a Mac version. So what I'm wondering is, before I lay down the $$, or make big changes to my hard drive, what do I need to be sure it will run on my Mac with bootcamp? I have a new Mac mini, 1TB of hd, 64 GB of RAM, the 3.2 Ghz 6 core intel processor and the Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536MB. Is this enough to have it run well? And if I do carve out a partition for it, how big does that need to be for it to work? I also have a 2TB external for extra hd room if needed.

I almost wonder if it just wouldn't make more sense to find a used Windows box to run it on, or go in another direction entirely. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
gicag14102
gicag14102
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
You need amd or nvidia (recommended) GFX card to run cc3 or icons smoothly.
Otherwise it not positive to work with Intel uhd 1.5gb vram.
sarazen
sarazen
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)Junior Member (129 reputation)

Hrm, so what I hear you saying is that that brand graphics card is essential? ‘Cause it’s my understanding that even for Windows there are newer much faster graphics cards out there, though admittedly I don’t get how Windows works.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 32 minutes ago
You do need a dedicated Nvidia or AMD gaming card. The built-in Intel graphics do not have the power to run iClone/CC.
gicag14102
gicag14102
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)Veteran Member (923 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Build in intel uhd or whatever you can only open cc3 but viewport can be very lagged.
You can open ic7 but can't see viewport, it gives you white screen. All other panel are working.
Better advice to invest a windows pc with atlest 8GB nvidia GTX cards if you want to run iray.
Amd cards works well native render.
Sorry for worst English.
Edited
3 Years Ago by gicag14102
sarazen
sarazen
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks for your reply, and getting a separate Windows box is the direction I’ve started to lean in as well since I’m not going to be doing any graphics card surgery on my Mac mini. Any thoughts on what would make a good set up for Windows? Like I get that the minimum requirements work, but what makes for an enjoyable experience for most folks? Whatever I put together would be strictly dedicated just to Character Creator 3 and possibly Daz, since that currently incompatible with Big Sur.

Your English is good btw, better than any of my alternate language skills, which are embarrassingly underdeveloped 
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
As a fellow Mac lover, I caved in two years ago and got a Windows machine for the 3D stuff. I'd been using Daz on a Mac for years, and resisted switching to Iray for that reason, even though my Macbook had a (low-level) Nvidia card. Everything 3D is soooo much easier on a Windows computer. I still do everything else on the Mac, because I just love the way they work, but my art stuff is better on a Windows machine. Not incrementally better--levels of magnitude better. 

And if you're going to invest in that, save yourself annoyance and frustration and just go with Nvidia. AMD makes some great graphics cards for other applications, but so much of what you're probably going to want to do eventually will all work better on an Nvidia card. When I started with Reallusion products, I had no idea I'd eventually want to play with Unreal or the new Omniverse, but now I do, and those only work decently (or at all, depending) with Nvidia. Iray only works decently with Nvidia. And pretty much *everything* will be faster with Nvidia. 

I'm writing this on a Mac, because I truly do everything except graphics on the Mac, but anything animation, or 3D, or video editing...that's for the Windows.

Just some friendly advice...
:-)
Nicole

Edited to add:
We're currently in the worst time ever to try to build a PC because of the all-around parts shortage, but especially 30-series Nvidia cards. I know a couple of users recently got awesome sounding Alienware pre-built systems with 3090 cards that make me drool, so you might want to look at those, if you're going for a desktop. If you're looking at a laptop, understand a 3080 card in a laptop (which is what I got and waited 3 months for) is not the same graphics card as a 3080 in a desktop...but compared to my 1070, it's gold. :-) I bought this https://xoticpc.com/products/asus-rog-scar-17-g733qs-xs98q with upgrades to 64gigs ram, and two 2tb drives. I JUST got it two days ago, so haven't really had time to play yet, but so far, I love it.

3 Years Ago by nelm2010
sarazen
sarazen
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Thanks, that's helpful. I agree in preferring Mac whenever possible. I'll have to see what I can put together, though it's gonna take a hot minute. Graphics cards are crazy expensive atm.
animagic
animagic
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)Distinguished Member (32.5K reputation)

Last Active: 6 minutes ago
@sarazen: If at all possible, aim for a Windows desktop PC. Laptops are more expensive than comparable desktop PCs and the GPUs may have the same model number, but they are out of necessity limited in power and will thus have less performance.

Besides a good GPU you also want sufficient RAM. I am one of those that have the machine that make's Nicole drool...Tongue I went from 32GB to 128GB and it makes a difference at times.

It is really crazy of course. It seems that every time there is the possibility of more RAM, programmers make sure that it's not wasted. I remember the time of floppies and 640kB of RAM and we were able to do stuff then as well...Unsure

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/436b0ffd-1242-44d6-a876-d631.jpg

3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
@Animagic--drool, drool, drool...And hey, my first computer was a Kaypro II. DOS all the way, and two whole floppy disks. :-) But I could use it in bed on my lap--detachable keyboard with a lovely squiggly cord--so I had an early laptop... :-D

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/f909d782-2ced-4f2e-ba38-0a95.jpg

And @Sarazen--absolutely get a desktop if you can. I plan to, as soon as I live in one house and can set something up! 

Reading This Topic