Hair Issues

Posted By jessicalcrichton 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 3 Years Ago
So... I have a character whose hair I want to blow in the wind. I know how to do that normally, and have done it with other characters, but for some reason I can't figure out, this character is having... issues.

First, to let you know he is connected to a chain that I made to wobble. It has no physics on it, but it's been a challenge to keep from going crazy and blowing up. I have no idea if the chain has anything to do with the hair issue -- by my logic they shouldn't be connected -- but I figured I should let you know just in case.

As for the actual issue, it looks like the physics are only being applied to his highlights, in the strangest way. Here are some screenshots and a video for reference:

As you can see here, the "soft cloth" and "hard cloth" choices are greyed out. It' set to soft, which is good, but I'm not sure if the issue with what happens when it runs (see below) has anything to do with that, and I'm not surer why it's greyed out in the first place.

This is the material of the hair. No matter what I do, it seems the wind is only affecting the skull cap layer, not the strands. As you can see, I have the strands selected, but that's not really doing anything (which I didn't really expect it to, but I have no idea what else I could do.)

This is what happens when the wind physics are applied. It looks like the highlights are falling out of his scalp in a blob. 

The weight map I currently have selected. (I'll admit I'm not sure which one needs to be chosen for this.)

The wind settings are here currently, but they don't change much about the issue no matter how I set them.

I HAVE clicked on "hair" under the presets, too. I've literally done everything the same way as I have with other characters, and yet... this happens:

Help???

Edited
3 Years Ago by jessicalcrichton
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 2 days ago
I don't know if this will help or not, but whenever I have physics issues, I go back and rewatch this and follow these steps to troubleshoot the problem. Sometimes I have to give up and do something else entirely, but usually I can figure it out using this method.

Also, in one animation I discovered that moving the character via reach effectors (vs actual motions) didn't work for hair physics. I had to make the character actually jerk around with motions or nothing happened, no matter how I tweaked the settings. 

Don't know if any of that will help but can't hurt, anyway.
Good luck!

jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)Veteran Member (889 reputation)

Thank you for the video! I did what it said, and got the hair to at least stay on and work together, but now it's doing this when I try to set wind effects:

jessicalcrichton
jessicalcrichton
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

I set the wind along the right axis, so it's going the right direction now, but it still looks way wrong. Sad I just want the bangs to feather back as if he's flying forward. Why is it so weird looking?

Edited
3 Years Ago by jessicalcrichton
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.6K reputation)

You did not do it completely right Wink

You have a separate SculCap material, which you have to paint completely black for the weight map, so that it stays on a scull, instead of getting blown off by the wind..

Edited
3 Years Ago by 4u2ges
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

What 4u2ges said, plus you might want to darken the gradients a little for everything but the bangs so only they are getting much effect. Also (and this was a stupid-simple thing I completely missed for months and months) make sure you have the collision shape for the head on, (which means both kinds of physics engines on). I fought and fought with hair physics until I figured that one out.

:-)

Reading This Topic