Profile Picture

RTX 3060 w/12GB VRAM or 3070/3080 w/10GB?

Posted By gordryd 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
gordryd
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)Distinguished Member (4.6K reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: Yesterday
Curious what people think about using these for iClone/CC.  Is VRAM more important than processing horsepower (since CC3 characters seem to be 3-4GB now)?

Reallusion Certified Director / Reallusion Best Visual Award / Reallusion Certified Content Developer
See all the G-Tools Plug-Ins available for iClone here: G-Tools Plug-Ins

0oseven
0oseven
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (1.0K reputation)

Last Active: Last Week
Im interested to hear opinions on the subject especially as the Nvidea site gives this - what is the role of cuda cores ?
 -there seems to be a trade off between Vram and cuda cores.See specs below

SPECS

RTX 3060 TiRTX 3060
NVIDIA CUDA Cores48643584
Boost Clock (GHz)1.671.78
Memory Size8 GB12 GB
Memory TypeGDDR6GDDR6
Edited
3 Years Ago by 0oseven
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 6 hours ago
Best, of course, is the 3090.  But of the two the 3080 is better.  Yes, you lose a touch of RAM, but the more GPU power the better for iClone.

Honestly, unless you bump up the RAM significantly you won't gain much by gaining 2GB more but with a slower GPU.  If you are THAT close to running out (IOW, if  2GB would help) then you're screwed anyway (because things start slowing down significantly even with more RAM once the scene grows in complexity).

To give a concrete example, I have a Titan with 12GB and if I get around 8GB loaded iClone slows down.  A lot.  Nothing really to do with RAM nearly as much as processing power (and the Titan is powerful, only around 30% slower than the 3090).  I haven't tested my new machine with the 3090 card in it to see, but I fully expect it to be a lot faster regardless of how much memory I'm using.

And when you get that close you can do other things to help.  But there is no way to gain more processing power in your GPU.  So that's always the key figure.  Yes, you want RAM, at least 8GB, but you definitely want the fastest GPU you can afford.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
3DChick
3DChick
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)Distinguished Member (2.0K reputation)

Last Active: 6 days ago
Here's a PC builder guy I follow on the new "3080 Ti." Interesting stuff. Short form: be careful...
Note: first 6 min are info; second half is a rant. " :-)

3 Years Ago by nelm2010

Reading This Topic