Fur Cape from Daz3d to Character Creator 3

Posted By cepheistudios 3 Years Ago
You don't have permission to rate!
Author
cepheistudios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 9 days ago
Forgive me if this topic has already been covered, but I purchased a fur cape from Daz3D (https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-classic-fur-cape-and-textures-bundle) and when I imported it into Character Creator 3 the fur didn't show up.  I did make sure to render the fur in Daz3D first, just to make sure the fur would show up natively, but I still couldn't get the fur to import into CC3. I would've purchased a fur cape from Reallusion marketplace, but they don't have one at all. Does anyone know of a solution, or does fur simply not import into CC3 at all?
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Last Active: 1 hour ago
Sorry, that link doesn't work.

But, as a very general rule, yes, "fur" won't import into CC3.  Can't, really -- it's not a mesh as a rule but just something that works only inside of Daz.  Same with fibermesh -- don't buy anything with fibermesh (you can get it in but it looks horrible).

As always, I tell folks to ask me first before they buy anything and I'll be glad to check it out (and I would check this one out if the link worked).

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-classic-fur-cape-and-textures-bundle
Forgot, has something to do displacement in DAZ for the fur before exporting. And it is definitely a fibermesh. As Mike says does not render well in CC, unless you render Iray.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.7K reputation)

Yeah, it's even worse than fibermesh, Mr. G.  It's dForce hair (which is almost impossible to render inside of RL's stuff -- I've yet to be able to).

If someone DOES figure out how to get DForce hair to work well inside of CC3/iClone my 'at's off to the governor, as they say.  And I'd love to see a tutorial on how.  In the meantime, run very far away from any dForce Hair.

Alienware Aurora R16, Win 11, i9-149000KF, 3.20GHz CPU, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090 (24GB), Samsung 870 Pro 8TB, Gen3 MVNe M-2 SSD, 4TBx2, 39" Alienware Widescreen Monitor
Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
cepheistudios
cepheistudios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)Veteran Member (970 reputation)

I think you're right and I was afraid of that. This link should work: https://www.daz3d.com/dforce-classic-fur-cape-and-textures-bundle  Even if it still doesn't work, reading the posts tells me what I need to know. What really sucks is I'm one fur cape away from finishing the costume for my character and Reallusion has no way for me to get her a fur cape. In all the stuff they have for sale - no fur cape. And I wish I knew why they don't just create a straight pipeline from Daz3D to CC3. I guess my female barbarian archer will have to remain incomplete. Oh well. Thank you for your response.
Rampa
Rampa
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)Distinguished Member (35.8K reputation)

Last Active: 5 hours ago
You can try some sort of fake fur by adding a noise texture to the displacement layer and maxing out the tessalation. It basically makes thousands of little spikey things. Kind of like lawn grass, but might do in a pinch.
4u2ges
4u2ges
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)Distinguished Member (20.7K reputation)

Last Active: Yesterday
Fur with displacement is indeed a good choice, but for short fur rather, like for animals...

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/3a0efee6-f639-4e6d-8cf9-cf90.jpg

Spikes are strictly uniform perpendicular to the mesh. And the is no way to control fur direction or shape.

As for dForce stuff... not much can be done in iClone (depends on outfit complexity rather). Marvelous Designer simulations are well suited.

Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

Mr. G,

Just so I'm clear -- it's not the dForce per se that causes dForce hair not to work.  I mean, you're right, the physics won't translate, but it goes deeper than that.  When Daz devs use dForce hair it's a completely different hair strand system that is neither poly based nor fibermesh based.  So leaving aside physics, it just doesn't show up well (or even at all) when transferred over.

I've tried a few dozen times and gave up, but that's not to say someone far smarter than I couldn't figure it out.  But I kind of doubt it.  Daz, like a lot of 3D systems, DOES have a "fur" and the RL universe does not.  We've asked for it a lot of times, but it doesn't look like we'll ever see it.

And as to the OP -- sorry, but the RL devs can't get a complete match of everything Daz does from a render perspective.  They did do a supreme job at translating what they can, but as soon as you get into these sorts of exotics you find they aren't transferable (for example, you could NOT render the Daz dForce hair in Blender, either).

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
cepheistudios
cepheistudios
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Veteran Member

That's really worrying. Well, after scrolling through every SINGLE Outfit item on Marketplace I found this: https://marketplace.reallusion.com/fur-coats
Now, while the fur on these fur coats may not look exactly like what I want, I was wondering if I could purchase this, then load it into CC3 and save the texture file, then apply that texture to a different item of clothing. It definitely won't work on a cape - I may just have to abandon the fur cape idea - but I still want to be able to create fur garments similar to what hunters & fur trappers would wear in the 17th & 18th centuries. It's conceptually important for me to be able to create a costume made almost entirely of animal remains (leather, fur, and bone). 
Kelleytoons
Kelleytoons
Posted 3 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Distinguished Member

The best "fur" I've seen is achieved not with displacement but with opacity on polycards (as you would design hair).  Here's a Santa Suit inside of CC3:

https://forum.reallusion.com/uploads/images/1dff69a5-f49c-425b-814a-dd24.jpg

Mike "ex-genius" Kelley
Edited
3 Years Ago by Kelleytoons

Reading This Topic